Help

ARCHIVE

Unifying my room

>

kbbteacher

Unifying my room
Old 05-27-2008, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just read a little of Debbie Diller's new book and it said that using one color scheme for displays can unify your room. I completely agree...I have a different color on a lot of my boards and I think they would look so much better if I went with one scheme...
for example: one paper color for bulletin boards,
a different boarder: most likely a print
a third color/print for bulletin board letters

I have NO decorating sense...what 3 colors might look good together? My theme is bees!

kbbteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

BEE colors
Old 05-27-2008, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would use yellow, white, and black for bees. Yellow for the paper, black for the letters and then white or a print for the border. I know it seems unoriginal but these are the colors I think of when I hear bees. buzzzz!!!
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachKids853

Color scheme option:
Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the previous poster about using yellow, black, and white...those seem like the obvious choices to me...
Here's what came to mind while I was reading...
Background - yellow
Border - a bee print boarder (I've seen them all over at teaching stores and teacher websites) (the border will have yellow, black, and white in it then more than likely...)
Letters - black

*** Also, perhaps backing your student work on black paper as well to make the white paper really 'pop' off the yellow background! (You could do this on all your boards to keep it uniform of course!)
TeachKids853 is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Dark green, light green, and light purple
Old 05-28-2008, 02:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just personally hate a jumble of colors, so I have tried to stick with a basic color palette in my room. My classroom is basically cinderblock, painted a light green. My colors for the room are green (both dark and light green) and a light purple. These colors actually look nice together, and I feel it sort of ties it in. I've even painted anything wooden in the room dark green (like bookcases). Of course, not everything is purple and green. Most posters are made up of several colors, but I have been able to stick with it pretty closely. I keep the bb backgrounds and borders within the color family, and their name tags, etc. A few people have noticed (mostly parents, not kids), so it doesn't necessarily jump out at you. But I think my room has a fairly calm effect, not like some other rooms that have a lot of color.

Other colors that look nice together are:
* blue and gold, maybe white, too.
* red, white, and blue
* black, red, grey?
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

MissO

accents
Old 05-28-2008, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think I would go crazy if I had to stick to three colors - but I like the "bee color" idea of yellow, black, and white. Maybe you could throw some red or blue in someplace - like in some borders or in the backing of student work. That way, the room isn't overwhelming, but it's still colorful.

A former colleague of mine had a ladybug theme - she used red, white, and black for nearly everything. I think she had a few dark green accents too.

Sounds like you're going to have a great room!

MissO is offline   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Bring the sky indoors
Old 05-28-2008, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This year I bought some light blue with clouds fadeless paper from Lakeshore and did two walls near the window. I made the other wall the same color of light blue without the clouds. Added some border trims or rainbows. and cloud and It felt very air and bright. It worked well with our themes of community, rain forest and the desert. Try your idea of a unifying color. You might like it too! I am a former bee theme person! I like the tri -color theme as well.
bonnybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

kbbteacher

Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For all of your ideas...funny how I am in "take down" mode at school and then I get home and love think about next year!
kbbteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachwell

Debbie Diller's New Book
Old 05-28-2008, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What is the title of the book?
Teachwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachwell

Three Colors versus Classroom Theme
Old 05-28-2008, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

For the 2008-2009 school year my room is being painted a light green. I want to incorporate a teal/turqoise blue and a very pretty shade of purple. The trim around the doors and windows will be a high gloss white. I want to go with a theme, but now I am thinking that might not be necessary. After reading the posts regarding color pallettes, I am officially confused. Should I have a theme or not?
Teachwell is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAllyBee

Same color, but different shades
Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This past year I stuck with the color blue, but did different shades of blue around the room. I had an underwater theme. Not only was it unifying, it was very calming as well.

MissAllyBee is offline   Reply With Quote

SnowQueen

I do that
Old 05-29-2008, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

All my BB are backed in green, my favorite color. Mine is not a regular class room. I get kiddos who do better with less distractions. I just use different borders. This year all my borders ar black is was very nice. And my room appears less busy than other rooms.
SnowQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Wild4Teaching

Black Bulletin Boards
Old 06-05-2008, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I really like to use black bulletin board paper, and then use sidewalk chalk to write on it - its just a little change from the usual light paper/dark letters.
Wild4Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote

NCP

Color Schemes
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

That sounds like an interesting idea. I am thinking how I could incorporate it.

As for colors, they say blue is calming along with green and purple. Yellow and orange invoke feelings of excitement and activity.

Just a thought.
NCP is offline   Reply With Quote

jovic

Try these 3.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was online a while back and came across a teacher's website that had some awesome pictures of her classroom on it. I fell in love with it right away bacause it was so serene. I have always had a bright room, but hers was all done in a pretty pale leaf green, light blue, and pale yellow. Her chairs were even painted these colors. She also used , I think, all white baskets for books. Everything was very unified. The room was beautiful and looked so cozy and peaceful. Those three colors looked great together. I wish I could remember the site. I have it bookmarked at school, but today was my last day until the fall. If I come across it, I will let you know.
jovic is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 06-21-2008, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I think the book is called Spaces and Places.

I'm going to do this in my room next year too. I'm going to go with light blue, dark blue, and purple.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ancientciv

Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm struggling with color choices, and any input is appreciated. Our building is divided into pods which I love, but the pods are made distinctive by color. My pod is orange. We have cream walls, but all the trim and the doors are very, very orange.

I was thinking of embracing the brightness of it all, but am concerned about it being over stimulating. I don't teach the same group all day (classes are about 75 minutes long) so it might be a nice "energy break" for them.

Thoughts?
ancientciv is offline   Reply With Quote