Jungle/Safari Ideas Needed

>

Closed Thread

Leley0930

Leley0930

Jungle/Safari Ideas Needed
Old 06-12-2006, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm doing my class in a jungle/safari/rainforest theme next year. I would appreciate any ideas for decorating, bulletin boards, displays, etc.

Nat

did you
Old 06-12-2006, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

check in the archives? there was tons of ideas there on this theme... check jungle, safari...

nat
chrissie

chrissie

jungle ideas
Old 06-12-2006, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just did my classroom in the jungle/safari theme last year. I got some cool ideas off of here as well. I built a reading "hut" using shower curtain rod covers, floral wire, flower pots and rafia although bamboo would have been much easier ( I couldn't find any for sale anywhere.) I made animal print pillow cases for the kids to use when they were reading in the hut. I bought lots of fake greenery and put it in pots around the room. I created a tree from butcher paper for the jungle, bought a safari type border, etc. The kids loved it!

I bought stuff from Oriental Trading and searched a lot of dollar stores also! IT's an easy theme to find stuff for!

Hayman15

Hayman15

Old 06-13-2006, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have done jungle for two years now. I went to the dollar tree and got vine to put around bulletinboards, doors and my clock. I also got stuffed monkeys, elephants, lions etc to hang off the vine. My behavior plan was "Going Bannanas over Great Behavior" and the students changed different colored bananas. I had an Information hut with raffia for the calander and schedule etc. I also had a reading hut from bamboo and raffia. My word wall was labeled Let's get wild about words". I found zebra fabric and used that as my back ground. I also had centers themed around animals: parrot's pocket chart center, gorrillas grammar center, lion's listening center and so forth. My kids sat in groups with jungle animals names. I had bulletin boards like Spotted great work with cheetah border. Hope this helps!

Jalon

good ideas!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have also committed to a jungle theme next year and appreciate being able to read these ideas! I posted somewhere on here that I plan on using "Tribes" this year (based on Jeanne Gibb's book "Tribes - A New Way of Learning of Being Together) and thought a jungle theme would be a good way to tie it all together.

Our neighborhood just finished a huge garage sale and a lady down the street had a small rafia tiki bar...nothing fancy, which I thought I could fit in somewhere in my room, or dismantle and use the parts. She didn't sell it and it's still in her garage (which makes me wonder if the price is outrageous). We were busy with our own sale, so I didn't get down there to check the price, but may walk down there in the next day or so and see if we can wheel and deal. :-)

I've done a "Wild About Reading" bulletin board with palm fronds as the border and an animal print background. I put copies of book covers on the board (that have "wild" in the title, or related) and then glued large google eyes above them so it looked like the eyes were peering out of the jungle and onto the books. Kind of fun.

mlambi

Jungle/safari/rainforest theme
Old 06-13-2006, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am doing a Rainforest/jungletheme this year are here are some of the bulletin boards and other decorations I have:

Job Board - "Spotted: Good Helpers" (leopard border, leopard cut-out, names are on small pictures of leopards that I will attach each week to different tree branches)

"Star of the Week" - "Top Toucan" (big toucan and feathers that list the topics for the kid of the week)

calendar, schedule, etc. - "Information Hut"

Other sayings for b. boards:

"Flying into First Grade" - (birds, bats, bugs, etc.)
"Mrs. L's Little Explorers" - (safari hats)
"Getting the swing of things" - (monkeys)
"A Bunch of Birthdays" - (monkey with bananas)
"Welcome to the Jungle"
"Leap into learning about..." - (tree frogs, dart frogs)
"Hanging around in Room ____" - (sloth, monkey)

You can decorate with fake Ivy and plants, make trees, etc. I have some fun jungle fabric to cover some tables, too.
Mrs Clark

Mrs Clark

too young
Old 06-13-2006, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Do you think the jungle theme is too young for 5th graders?

Txteach13

Old 06-14-2006, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am also going to do the jungle theme next year. Here are a couple of sites I found with pictures. Hope they help!

http://www.abcteach.com/RainforestFacts/rfroompic..htm

http://www.marcias-lesson-links.com/...toourRoom.html
Scroll down to see the palm trees and monkeys.

http://www.gardenofpraise.com/bul4.htm

http://www.teacherplanet.com/links/r...gs/rainfor.htm

http://www.amphi.com/teachers/lnickerson/

Lisa Ader

Old 06-14-2006, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Absolutely NOT! The rainforest is an awesome theme. I've got lots of pictures of my room and kids loved it. I teach 3rd grade but used it when I taught 4th and even last lyear 5th and 6th graders thought my room was the coolest in the building! If you want to see the pictures of my reading center or Kapok Corner...Parrot Point....Banana Plantation...or Treemendous Words..Behavior Board let me know. I think I could email them to you..I don't know if I can attach them or not.

Cinderella

Great Ideas On Jan Brett Site
Old 06-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Just thought I would let you know that I was looking for some Jungle/Rainforest ideas yesterday on the computer. I found some on the Jan Brett site. They were attached to her book The Umbrella. I am doing the Jungle in my classroom this year too. I am excited about it and I think my kids will be too. Good luck! Also ideas on the Enchanted Learning site.

watkinsla

Absolutely not!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

5th graders would love the jungle theme!!!I teach 4th grade & have been "The Jungle Teacher" for 4 years. My kids love it & always tell me they miss it in 5th!!!!

Last edited by watkinsla; 06-27-2006 at 06:08 PM..

rmillere

Librarian
Old 08-05-2006, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Jan Brett's website

Honey...Honey...Lion! by Jan Brett
Jillian

Jillian

Old 08-12-2006, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

No- I have done this theme for four years and the kiddos love it. I give them animal print pencils and we have a class monkey (from Oriental trading.) They really got into it.