ARCHIVE

New teacher looking for Kindergarten theme

>

Mrs. TC

Mrs. TC

New teacher looking for Kindergarten theme
Old 06-04-2006, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for a way to welcome my kiddos to their new classroom. Any ideas? One suggestion was "Welcome to a Magical Year" w/Harry Potter, however this is too old for kindergarten.

mel

camping/bears theme
Old 06-04-2006, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

circus would be bright and colorful and would incorporate animals that this age loves. Ocean theme/beach
mel is offline   Reply With Quote

lchristmom

Kindergarten theme
Old 06-04-2006, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Personally, I would not use the Harry Potter theme. However, I have used the circus theme with first grade and it was fantastic. Kindergarten rooms need bright colors. You could use the folowing:

*bright material for bulletin board backgrounds
*let different animals or circus elements define your different learning
areas
*use cathchy circus or animal phrases
*use big pictures or cutouts

Phrases or titles to use:
*"Welcome to the Greatest Class on Earth" (picture of ringmaster on
your door to welcome the students)

*"Remembering To Do My Best" (big elephant with rules written on large
peanut cutouts.

*"No Lion" (Lying) - Math Is Exciting ( a lion with math facts or just
numbers - I know my numbers

*You could use the three rings of the circus for many things - I used it
to divide my class into three groups for different activities - I put three
hula hoops on the wall and put the students names in the different
hoops to show the different groups

*"Poppin Good Reading" - Have a big cutout of a popcorn box with big
popcorn pieces scattered around the box - Write sight words on the
popcorn - these can be changed periodically

*"Clowning Around With Special Jobs" - large cutout of clown with lots
of pockets - use fabric or colorful library cards for the pockets -write
job on pocket - put student's name on slip of paper and insert it into
pocket

*Trapeze Artisits - Flying High With Good Work (perhaps good
penmanship or neat work)

These are just a few of the ideas. I will be glad to send you some more if you decide on this theme. Have fun!
lchristmom is offline   Reply With Quote
loveteachin'

loveteachin'

teacher
Old 06-10-2006, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am going to teach Kindergarten this year too! I just came across the cutest theme in the teacher store. She had an shelf set up with camping ideas. Carson Dellosa has a really cute set with a moose, pine tree, and forest friends. They also have cut-outs with a twig border that you could use for name tags. In your reading center you could set up a child's size tent and sleeping bags. I found on a website great ideas for using The Kissing Hand to open up school. This book has Chester the racoon, which goes right along with the forest. One of the ideas was for Chester to leave his tracks throughout the school and clues on cards with different members of the staff. This way the children get to meet the teachers for PE, Art, Music, the Principal, Asst., and office staff. You could also do the book I am Going on a Bear Hunt. There are many songs, poems, and books that could be incorporated into this theme. You could even make s'mores as a snack one day. I am going to use "We're making tracks into Kindergarten" or "Welcome to Camp Kindergarten". There were some cute saying posted on this website:
"S'more Math Facts", "Camping out with a Good Book", etc.

Lisa Ader

Old 06-14-2006, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn't do Harry Potter . There are so many neat themes for kindergarten My daughter teaches kindergarten Her themes have been a jungle, pond, safari, and last year she did Chicka Chicka Boom Look who's in my room! She had trees and letters all over them and incorporated the jungle theme with it. It was so cute!!!! Use the book to help you set up your room with animals and all. The year she did the pond she had frogs, beavers, catttails, insects, nets and fishing poles all aaround the room. Her reading corner was a tent and she had a pot with camp fire rocks around it. She kept books in the pot!!! She called her class Camp Kindergarten..... just some ideas.

Last edited by Lisa Ader; 06-14-2006 at 06:36 PM..
Lisa Ader is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaF

Kindergarten Theme
Old 06-17-2006, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Check out the Kindergarten Teacher thread. I just posted a huge post about different classroom themes there (and I'm too lazy to post it again -smile-).
RebeccaF is offline   Reply With Quote
AnnetteA

AnnetteA

Pond theme help
Old 05-26-2007, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I really could use some of the theme ideas that your daughter used. My director has decided that we are to do a pond theme for summer the ideas that you have listed sound like something I can build on. Could you please email me at segaartis@yahoo.com

edmon

Circus theme for Kindergarten
Old 05-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi,
I know that you posted these ideas for a circus theme a while ago, but I recently got hired for a kindergarten position. I haven't taught kindergarten in 8-9 years, and I could really use some suggestions on how to set up my room. I'm interested in doing a kindergarten theme. Do you have anymore ideas? What could I use for the reading corner? Is there a place I can buy ready- made stuff to go with the circus theme? I don't want to spend the whole summer decorating my room. I would appreciate any help. THANKS SO MUCH.
edmon is offline   Reply With Quote