Help

ARCHIVE

Give out phone number or email address?

>

MrsLATeach

Give out phone number or email address?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you give your phone number or email address to parents at the beginning of the school year? I was debating if I should. I never have before.

MrsLATeach is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteach

Yes!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have given my email address out for several years now. As for phone number. If I feel comfortable with a parent, I will relase my cell number to that parent only. This is always a difficult decision. Best of luck to you!
NCteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mel

email is a lifesaver
Old 06-16-2006, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you have a school email I don't see a problem with giving out your email. I love to correspond with parents via email. i can instantly answer their questions that are sent to me. If you do not have a school email, go toa free site like yahoo and set you up one for school purposes. Email would be my preferred method of communication over handwritten notes.
mel is offline   Reply With Quote

Begood

Phone numbers
Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have had okay experiences giving out email and phone numbers. Our school email was manditory, however at my new school, I can't see giving out my personal one. You could always create a hotmail account for free.

Phone numbers... well I have given out my cell number in extreme cases. (Those parents that you need on speed dial, if you know what I mean.) Or if they ask. I've also given it to special students that I've had at the end of the year to stay in touch.I had a parent call me once on a late Friday. Thank god for caller id I didn't answer. Another time I was caught off guard, but she understood.

I guess what I'm saying if you don't mind an occasional bothersome phone call, then do it. Somtimes its easier for them to contact you than the other way around. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND HOME NUMBERS because kids can get numbers, parents can get angry..etc....

Begood
Begood is offline   Reply With Quote

Valerie

phone number
Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have given my home phone number to all parents each year of my thirty-three year teaching career. I have found many phone calls from parents have saved me problems the next day. Some parents find it easier to just pick up the phone and make a quick call about illnesses, homework, field trips etc. I have only had one instance where the parent was angry. I just calmly told interrupted her and said we would take it up the next day in the office of the principal. She did not call back. We did meet and resolved the situation and she never made any more phone calls that were not on the good side.

Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

email
Old 06-16-2006, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our principal had business cards made for all the teachers which had the school email and phone number on it. We never use our emails at school for some reason. No parent did either. They usually wrote a note or called the school. As for giving out my personal email and phone number I never have and never will.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Illinois Packer Fan

Old 06-17-2006, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are required to check our school e-mail and voice mail daily. I have a website set up too with information about my class and it gives them a link to my school e-mail in case they forget it. I don't give them my home phone. I need to keep that part of my life separate from parents. I have access to my school voice mail at home so I can check it if I am waiting to hear from a parent.

This year a colleague of mine received between 4 and 6 e-mails a night from one parent. Imagine if she had given out her home phone.

This year I have made magnets using the business card feature on MS Publisher to give to each parent at open house so they have the e-mail, voice mail, and web address accessible.
Illinois Packer Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

1gr81ntheus

Cell or email
Old 06-17-2006, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I refused my home phone number to a parent once and he didn't really understand why. I do think that there is a division b/n school and work. I don't like being bothered at home with parents. One previous poster said that giving her number has saved her headaches the next day but I think it just has to wait. When I leave school the last thing I need is a parent calling me at home. My cell phone is a different story b/c I can turn it off versus at home we just automatically answer. I have an email account set up for parents but they don't email me. I'm going to really encourage it next year as being the fastest way to get a response from me to set up conferences through email, phone, or face-to-face.
1gr81ntheus is offline   Reply With Quote

K/1 Teacher

e-mail yes
Old 06-17-2006, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We don't have or use school email addresses and therefore I gave out my home email address and I think because I send emails ALL the time, many parents also use email as their main way of communicating with me. I send newsletters and reminders by email every week. I still make paper copies for a few parents who don't use email regularly, but otherwise it's all by email. I can always choose when to respond to emails and responding takes far less time than a phone call would.

I have given out my cel phone number but only for parents who chaperone on field trips to reach me while on the trip if we get seperated. I also have given it out for people to return calls since we can't make outgoing calls from our classrooms. No one has abused this at all.
K/1 Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GATeacher3rd

Magnets
Old 06-17-2006, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have given out my home number before and it was the last time I did it. I had parents calling me at 10:30 at night wanting to know about their childs homework or other questions. While it might save you some time at school, it might take away from your time with family or sleep.
The following year I made magnets for my parents. I included the school number, school email adress, website, etc. I wanted them to get in touch with me if any problems came up but not at 10:30 pm. It is your choice whether or not to give out your personal numbers. I would recommend getting to know your parents before you decide to hand it out. Good luck!

GATeacher3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Grade4Teach

I always
Old 06-17-2006, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

give out my e-mail but never my phone number. I think that I deserve to go home and not have the phone ringing off the hook with questions from parents. If they need me, I check my e-mail almost every hour if I am home so I don't see the need to give out my phone number. I have also added to my website a discussion board like this one where kids or parents can ask questions about anything. Everyone can see it so they can ask general questions and anyone can answer too. I plan to try it next year and see how it works.
Grade4Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

I give both..
Old 06-18-2006, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I too have given my phone number out since the first year I taught, sixteen years ago. Now students and parents have my email address and my IM name on MSN. I have never had a parent abuse my number or email, or call me late at night.

As for the students.. .. well, only ONCE was there an issue the first year I taught... I have no proof it was a girl from my class, but it sure sounded like her on the voice mail telling me that it was "AT&T calling and that my phone was going to be turned off if I didn't pay my phone bill".. ROFL. Other than that, I've never had a student call me without a legitimate question or concern.

I have a few parents who use IM and it's been very handy when they want to get a message to me at school instantly.. too often the one they leave in the office doesn't get to me until the end of the day, and then it's too late. Most, however, use email, since they know I check it regularly.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Valerie

phone numbers
Old 06-18-2006, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is my second post to this issue. Most of you do not give out your home phone so my question is Are your numbers unlisted or do parents just not look them up anyhow? Perhaps my situation is different from many of you. I am from a small community where everyone knows everyone. I attend church, sit at ball games, attend community functions and much more with the parents of my students. So even if I did not give my phone number to parents they would still have access to it through the phone book.
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Grade4Teach

Old 06-18-2006, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't live in the same town so parents don't know where I live unless they ask. I don't tell them unless it comes up in conversation and I wouldn't usually have that conversation with most parents. If they did know the town, they would have to try my inlaws before they get me because my husband has the same name. I don't think they would try calling me at home without permission.
Grade4Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 06-18-2006, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I give out the school phone number, but not my home number. I am in the book though. Parents have not availed themselves of this number except once, and that parent was also a parent of my daughter's friend, so we were already friendly enough to call each other. When she called for an impromptu parent conference when her older daughter's grade dropped in my class, I was kind of frosty and I don't think she would try that again! I give out my school email addy. I have a hotmail account I would give out if I didn't have school mail. Email is the greatest way to connect with me or for me to connect with parents.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

and another thing!
Old 06-18-2006, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I too live in a small intimate community where everyone knows everyone. We sit together in church or on the baseball sidelines, etc. We see each other at the grocery too. Even with all this familiarity, I think most parents have the couth to call you at work or to email for most school-oriented situations.

I actually called my daughter's teacher at home once! She's listed too. I feel collegial towards her as well as a parent/teacher relationship since we do work for the same BOE. I feel like I'm on first name basis with my kids' teachers so far. I needed to know if my daughter ought to dress as her favorite character for an AR parade and if she'd be able to march. It was early in the year, and she needed 30 points to march. The teacher was perfectly pleasant to me. But as a rule, I wouldn't call the teacher at home for the majority of school-related issues. I would not hesitate, though, to zap her an email at her school account.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

No home phone or e-mail
Old 06-18-2006, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I give out my school e-mail, which I check numerous times during the day. It and the instant message feature we have are the only ways I have of communicating--we only have a one-way intercom, the office can call us, but we can't call them. If I were to have an emergency, I have to instant message the secretary. Anyway, I give parents my school e-mail, but nothing from home. But I'm in the book, and it's a small town, so I have received occasional phone calls. Only one year have I had any problems, and that father was a big pain. I hung up on him more than once. He would call when drunk. My husband finally got on the phone one night and threatened to call the police and that was the end of that, thank goodness. Usually the phone calls I get are about clarification because little Johnny said he needs a sack lunch, but lost his note, or Susie doesn't understand these homework directions.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisa Ader

Old 06-18-2006, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I give my home phone number and school phone number with my room extension to parents as well as my school email. I have been teaching 21 years and have always given out this information. My parents don't abuse it....they are as busy as I am. I feel that if there is a problem or a concern I want to know about it. I love those parents that email....it is so handy!!!!
Lisa Ader is offline   Reply With Quote

cathy3

home phone
Old 06-20-2006, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I give out my home phone, my school phone and extension, and my school email. I've only had one parent abuse this in my 10 years of teaching. I am a big "screener", though! If I look at caller ID and don't want to talk, I do not pick up. Once I hear their message, I can call them back on my time (this also give me time to think about my response).
cathy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fla. Teacher

Phone numbers
Old 06-21-2006, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I do not give out my home number but yes if parents wanted it they could look it up. I love using email and I give my school email out on the first parent evening at the beginning of the school year. I have used a printed copy of these emails in my conference notes too which can be handy.

My cell number did not get abused in any way and it helped me so much last year. The first thing I will do when I go back is to ask for cell and email addresses of parents. My sad cell phone's number list is in fact all parents numbers come to think of it ..I actually have to delete some before we start next year.

To have numbers at your finger tips instead of having to look them up each time is so handy. If I need to make it more of an official call (Such as reporting referrals or tardiness) I take my cell phone with me to the office and use its menu to get parents numbers and ring on the school phone.
Fla. Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 06-21-2006, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I am required to give my school email address out in my district- not a problem, since only a handful of students at my school live in homes with computers. I have given out my home phone number every year of my 13 years of teaching. I always give it in a newsletter to introduce myself to the parents and request that they not call past 8:00. I have never had any trouble with it. I could probably count on one hand the number of phone calls I have gotten. At school, I often don't have time to talk about an issue with the parent to their satisfaction, and at home I do. I agree that it has saved me difficulties the next day if there are questions about homework or other assignments.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Gauge

Old 06-22-2006, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I never give my home phone number out. That gives the parent free reign to call you at any time (even late at night). If a parent needs t call you they can call you during school hours.

You can give an email address, but don't give your personal email address. I made an account through yahoo and that is how I communicate with parents using email. My email address for school is simple its my last name and the grade I teach.
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote

noclue

Old 06-22-2006, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I give my school e-mail. I gave my cell number once to a parent who was upset and wanted to talk about her child...BIG MISTAKE!!

She called me almost every evening when her child had a test to see if I graded it yet and what the grade was...She even called me when I was at the Kentucky Derby because she was unhappy with the sub that was covering my class!! YIKES!!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

MsYork

Old 06-22-2006, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I give out my school phone number w/extension and my school e-mail. I wish more parents would e-mail, but I teach in a community with very little access. I only had one parent e-mail me this entire year.

As for finding my phone number in the phone book - I live in a town 40 minutes away, so that helps. However, now our phone number is solely listed under my boyfriend's name, so no one could find me anyway! That's fine with me.
MsYork is offline   Reply With Quote

Hockey Fan

No Way!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I no longer give my home info out. The first (and only!) time I did it was to try and set up a guest speaker (parent had a child in my room). The parent allowed the child to call me to ask about assignments!!!

I have a school e-mail address that I can access at home so they can send correspondence that way in addition to using the phone.
Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
budyjill

budyjill

email only!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I always give every parent my school email at the beginning of the year. This is the best way to contact me anyway since I'm in a master's program at get home late. This way I can answer them at 11 at night. I found this to be a very successful way to keep parents updated, to solve minor issues, and for them to contact me with questions. For more serious issues, I call the parents and set up a personal conference if necessary. I will NOT give out my home number for many reasons. Email keeps things personal, but also gives a needed distance.
jcrawford56

jcrawford56

phone number
Old 06-30-2006, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I have always given parents school number and my hours before and after school availability like I'm sure all of us do. School email address is ok too but I do not give my home number unless absolutely necessary and of course this comes after I have gotten to know parent/child situation and feel it won't be taken advantage of.