Help

ARCHIVE

creative ideas for an ocean theme

>

jwood

creative ideas for an ocean theme
Old 06-21-2006, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

this will be my first year teaching fourth grade. i have some things in my head that i want to do for my ocean theme, but i need some creative ideas. any help would be great!

thanks

jwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisa Ader

Old 06-21-2006, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was a the library today and they created a house by using pvc pipe and wrapped it in blue crepe paper. They had fish and other ocean animals hanging from the top of the house. It was an open house but looked really neat and the children loved it. Maybe something like that could be your reading corner.
Lisa Ader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

ocean theme
Old 06-21-2006, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Take a look at this website:

http://www.libsci.sc.edu/miller/ocean.htm
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

A few ideas
Old 06-23-2006, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here are a few things I've done in the past:

*drape blue cellophane (Saran wrap) from the ceiling, hang fish/sealife
*one board said "Real Lifesavers" and things like "Be Nice", "Listen", etc. were written on white and red lifesavers and placed on blue paper
*Drape a net across blue paper, add a few fish with clothespins attached to the back, hang up good papers and say, "What A Catch!"
AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach2

lots of ideas
Old 06-25-2006, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am doing an "Under the Sea" theme. Here are some of my ideas, most of which came from the archives here.

Door: "Look Who's Diving Into 2nd Grade" I am going to cover the door with blue paper. I found a template of a scuba diver and made and colored one for each student. I then cut out the face and replaced it with a picture of a student. (I took their pictures at the end of this school year so I could prepare.) You could also use "Look Who's Swimming into ___ Grade" and use fish with their names on them.

Job Bulletin Board: "Helping Hands" I have an octopus and will write a job on each arm. I will have a fish or something with each students name on it to move to their job for the week.

Display writing: "Writing to Treasure" I have a clothespin for each student that will be attached to the bulletin board. I have wooded fish cut outs that are hot glued onto the clothespins for extra decoration. When the students write a book, it will be hung on the board and can easily be removed, read, and replaced. I might also add a treasure map and treasure chest for decoration.

Reading Area: "Reader's Reef"
"Sink Your Teeth Into a Good Book" or "Bite Into A
Good Book" with a shark biting into a book
"Get Hooked on Reading" or "Hooked on Books"
with someone fishing

Behavior: "Behavior Beach" There are 3 sections. Top=Green Middle=Yellow Bottom=Red There is a fish for each student. All fish start on green. For warnings, they swim down a level. Parents will be notified each day of the ending color for their child and how they got there.

Rules: I have a "Caught Being Good" themed display which has fish saying the rules.

Student of the week: Either "Sea Star of the Week" with star fish theme or "Catch of the Week"

Newsletter: I'm still looking for a title if you have any ideas.

Reward: You could use "dolphin dollars".

Other decorations: I am going to use either sand paper or brown paper to put along the bottom of the front wall (ocean floor) and make coral using pipe cleaners. I bought some ocean life dicuts to put up also. I made large fish and had my class for next year paint them. I will hang there from the lights and on the walls. I am going to hang a green raffia shirt around my desk to look like seaweed and stick some fish in it. I'm putting blue cellophane on the lower windows. We will make fish sun catchers early in the year to hang. I might hang blue streamer or blue gossamer along the ceiling. We are going to make coffee filter jelly fish and paper mache octopus using a balloon and crepe paper for the legs.

I also have a bullitin board set from Trend that is for parts of speech (ocean themed), more parts than we learn about in 2nd grade.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

jwood

Old 06-27-2006, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

thanks for all of the good ideas! here are a couple that i have found: computer area-internet island captions like let's surf the net or get caught up in the net, also i found a cute title for a newsletter--"The Starfish Gazette" title for the classroom schedule-"The Sands of Time" just some things i thought you may be interested in. also, where did you get your diver templates?

thanks
belairgirl

belairgirl

ocean ideas
Old 06-27-2006, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also did this theme a few years ago but with my 1st graders. After reading different stories about ocean animals we created aquariums within our groups. As a treat, I cut a cross in the end of a hot dog then cooked them and when the ends curl up they look like an octopus.
Kaci

Kaci

Newletter name suggestion
Old 06-28-2006, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The Reef Report

Teach2

Diver Templates
Old 06-28-2006, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for your ideas! I'm so excited to get everything ready.

I got the scuba diver templates from a book called Everyday Bulletin Boards (Grades K-3) put out by Carson-Dellosa. I didn't have any luck when I looked online. I can try to figure out how to scan them into the computer and send them to you if you want.
Teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

jwood

scuba diver
Old 06-28-2006, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

i would love to have a copy of the scuba diver. if you can scan it, i would love to have it. if i have any more ideas i will send them to you. let me know if you have any more.

thanks

hescollin

Ocean activities Petunia
Old 06-28-2006, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Make aquariums from small water bottles. Put water, blue food coloring, oil and a few plastic ocean sea creatures, very small ones. It is so cool. The oil does not mix with the blue food colored water, and the sea creatures float around. Hot glue the cap on, so that you do not have a mess.

Salt Water Experiment: Did you know that it is easier to float in the ocean than in the swimming pool? Do you know why? Salt. The ocean is full of salt. Salt water can hold up more than plain water. That is why you can float in the ocean more easily. Try this experiment to see for yourself. You'll need:
*2 clear, wide mouth, plastic jugs or jars
*9 cups warm water
*1 cup salt
*raw potato
*measuring cup
*spoon

Pour 4 and 1/2 cups warm water (half of the water) in one jar and add salt. Stir with spoon until salt has dissolved. Pour the other 4 and 1/2 cups of warm water (last half of the water) in the other jar. First put the potato into the jar without the salt and watch it sink. Then put the potato into the jar with the salt and watch it float.
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

jwood

email for the scuba diver
Old 06-29-2006, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

sorry- i did not post my email for you to send me the scuba diver. here it is thank you so much

eswoody@hotmail.com

yesteach

Wyland
Old 07-08-2006, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I noticed in the TCM catalog that Wyland has created a whole line of materials for classrooms (posters, bulletin board sets, etc.). I'm not a huge fan, but his work is excellent. I also came across his "Wyland Ocean Challenge", when I was looking for what all was available (I have a friend who IS a huge fan). The challenge is excellent, and has activities for K-12 on the site. I'm thinking of incorporating that and using some of the materials during the time we work on the unit. Maybe a Wyland corner..

Here's the site for the materials:
http://www.teachercreated.com (and then search for Wyland)

Here's the site for the challenge:
http://www.wylandoceanchallenge.org/index.cfm?do=about
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote
first grade

first grade

scuba diver
Old 07-08-2006, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would love to have the template for scuba diver also.
Thanks.
Daisy1s@aol.com
Love the door idea!

cinaminsweet

Old 07-09-2006, 11:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Teach2, I loved all your ideas for this theme and I think I'm going to use it this year. If you do find a way to scan the scuba divers, I would love to have the template also. My email is cinaminsweet@aol.com. Thank you!
cinaminsweet is offline   Reply With Quote

alligooner

Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

What about me too! I want the scuba diver!

Thanks!

aspradlin@lexington1.net

Alli
alligooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Kellie

Kellie

3rd grade teacher
Old 07-25-2006, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am looping with my students this year. I have taught in 2nd grade for 4 years and now moving up to 3rd. I was looking for ideas because I want to change my room around. I am obsessed with turtles, but figured I could keep the turtles a part of my room and include ocean life, and therefore the theme would be different. I love the idea with putting a students head on a scuba diver. I know the person who initially found the picture is probably tired of sending it to everyone, but it you have a chance, I would love a copy as well.

My e-mail address is kflynn2@bcps.org

Thank you

coqette33

scuba diver template
Old 08-22-2006, 09:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi,
Im also doing an ocean theme and would love to know if you still have that scuba diver template. If you do, you think you can email it to me?
Thanks,
Laura
coqette33@aol.com
coqette33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gin

Gin

Scuba Diver
Old 12-29-2006, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hi,
Im doing an underwater theme for my class this year and would love to use the scuba diver template. Can you pls send a copy ot my email gingoh@gmail.com pls? Thanks in advance!
June Osborn

June Osborn

scuba template
Old 03-18-2007, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Please email the template. Thanks.
teachthicks

teachthicks

Old 04-09-2007, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Hi! I know you have had to send the scuba diver template to lots of people, but I would love to have a copy of it if you have time. Thanks! My email is terihicks7@yahoo.com
Angiegon

Angiegon

Scuba diver template
Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Hello!!

I would love that template as well....

angiebaby928@aol.com
bngo

bngo

1stgrade
Old 05-24-2007, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Sorry to bother you, can you please send me a copy of the scuba diver template? I've been searching online and just had no luck.
Thank you in advance :-)
bngo

bngo

1stgrade
Old 05-24-2007, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Sorry to bother you, can you please send me a copy of the scuba diver template? I've been searching online and just had no luck.
Thank you in advance :-)

Oops, my email is missinguyen@yahoo.com

magteach

starfish pottery
Old 05-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

If you go to duncanceramics.com they have a neat starfish done in clay if you have access to a kiln. I think there is another ocean creature, too.
magteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Judybeth

Judybeth

Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I decorate my room in an under the sea theme, and noticed the postings about a scuba diver. I know the other postings are quite old, but I would love to have the scuba diver template also. e-mail address- judybeth@centurytel.net. Thanks so much

jessicareid

scuba diver
Old 07-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I would love to have the scuba diver too!
jessica_D_reid@yahoo.com

THANKS!!!
jessicareid is offline   Reply With Quote

jo

See if this works-scuba diver
Old 07-10-2007, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

This was on the message board sometime this summer. I don't remember who to thank. It said it is printable. I haven't tried this yet. See if this works.

http://www.isoverse.com/colorbook/scuba.html
jo is offline   Reply With Quote

JenSnow

Looking for a title....
Old 08-19-2007, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

You have wonderful ideas which I am borrowing!

However, I am stuck on coming up with a title for part of my newsletter. I want a title for the section in which I include all of the upcoming lessons for each subject. If you can think of something please help me out! I am stuck!
JenSnow is offline   Reply With Quote