Help

ARCHIVE

Do any one used Harcourt Collections

>

Makayla

Do any one used Harcourt Collections
Old 06-19-2006, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 3rd and looking for something new this year for my students. I would like to do a activitiy with each story. Do you have any to share?
Here are just a few stories we will be reading this year Arthur Writes a Story,Marta's Magnets, Ronald Morgan Goes to Camp, Allie's Basketball Dream, Water Woman. Thanks!

Makayla is offline   Reply With Quote

teachervet

harcourt
Old 06-19-2006, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am a 2nd grade teacher. and we have started the new Harcourt. I am not totally familiar with it yet. How long have you been using it??
teachervet is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteach

Harcourt Reading Series
Old 06-19-2006, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our school district just adopted Harcourt for next year. I am also looking for ways to make this successful. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
NCteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisa Ader

Old 06-21-2006, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've used Harcourt Collections for a few years. I am trying to remember all the activities I do with each story. I actually do not read all of them because we read many authentic books as well. I know with Marta's Magnets I have a science center and have magnetic activities at that center. One time I had the children come up with their own scenario and solve it using a magnet. They loved this activity. Actuallly the teacher's manual has many activities in it. So many that you can't possibly do them all. In the 2nd part of the book, there is a unit on Celebrations, Celebrations around the world. My class participates in a TRAVELS program during this time. We have passports and spend 1 day in a different country....learning about geography, culture, art, etc. They love this part too!
Lisa Ader is offline   Reply With Quote
jcrawford56

jcrawford56

Harcourt
Old 06-22-2006, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

HAve you tried doing storyboards with kids with story as theme? My students love them. Give it a try. They vary and I don't do one for each story but it's a good break and combination for "drill and kill" work. They encorporate story mapping, vocabulary and I always integrate and writing piece be it summary writing, poetry, what ever writing mini lesson I may want to hit. Good luck!