Help

ARCHIVE

Favorite seasonal art activity for the year

>

Fenfer25

Favorite seasonal art activity for the year
Old 07-26-2006, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

what is your favorite art activity for the year? I am trying to come up with a year long list of activities. Also, are there certain websites you use to get your ideas?

Fenfer25 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Fall tree
Old 07-26-2006, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My favorite activity is a fall tree that the kids make. I use black construction paper as the background. You could pre-cut the tree shapes (with bare branches) out of brown paper first, or have the kids design their own. Then, I give each table some Q-Tip swabs and they use fall colors of tempera to dab the leaves on. They can also add other details to their picture by collaging them or drawing them on the black background. We do poetry for this project. A variation is to cut tissue paper squares in fall colors and have the kids paint them on with a mixture of Elmer's glue and water. I have gotten some ideas from www.kinderart.com, but I mostly use Mailbox and other teacher resource books.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

amylea77

thumbprint trees
Old 07-26-2006, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done the same tree idea, but the kids use their thumbprints for the leaves in fall colors. Turns out VERY cute.
amylea77 is offline   Reply With Quote

mel

mel
Old 07-26-2006, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hope more people add to this post. I have been teaching 8 years and I still struggle to find some cute monthly activities for my kids to do. One activity for Novemeber is to make a turkey out of a coffee filter. Have the students drop food coloring on the filter to make it very colorful. They then cut out feet and a head that you provide on pre run construction paper. They attach them to the beautifully colorful coffee filter feathers. I hope that more people post some activities for each month. I need some that can be added to a bulletin board in the hallway so they need to be more 2-dimensional activites than 3-dimensional.

Another activity that we do at Christmas is make gingerbread men. I make the dough by mixing applesauce and cinnamon(a lot of cinnamon). You have to keep adding cinnamon until you get it to the consistency that it is not sticky and you can take a rolling pin and roll it out. You then let the kids use a gingerbread cookie cutter to cut ou a gingerbread. While they are still moist I add part of a paper clip that I have cut in half at the top as a hook for an ornament. Flip them from front to back until they dry. Decore them by adding dots for eyes and a smile with that craft paint that comes in the little tubes. I buy the premade small bows(they're hard to find) at Wal-Mart in red, green, and white and glue it a t the neck of the gingerbread man. My room smells great for days!!!
mel is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

art ideas
Old 07-26-2006, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One activity I do every Xmas is an ornament made of macaroni. I give the kids a small wreath shape traced onto old manila file folders. The wreath is about 6" across with about a 2" hole in the center. I just use lids to trace it. The kids cut them out and I punch a hole near the edge for hanging it later. Place the wreath on waxed paper, then have them glue lots of big pasta shapes all over the front of the wreath. I buy all kinds--bows, penne, wagon wheels... Then add a layer of medium size pieces like elbows. Finally top it off with a sprinkle layer of tiny pieces like stars or pumpkin seed. It takes a LOT of glue--just squirt it on heavily. Also just kinda dump the pasta--NO arranging it in patterns. Be sure they don't cover up the center hole or the hanging one. Let dry a couple of days, then spray paint gold. They are fragile. If you drop one it will shatter like glass, but they are really pretty on a tree or hanging from the ceiling.

In the spring we do a masters art unit. We watercolor a version of Monet's waterlilies, color a copy of Mona Lisa, cut paper for a Matisse look alike, etc. One thing they love to do is take half of a picture of an object, glue it to drawing paper, then draw in the other half--good symmetry lesson if you have a frontal view. The boys love to get a picture of a car or truck, cut it in half and draw the other half the way they think it should look.

tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Great idea!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will have to try the thumbprint idea. That sounds like a neat variation. Thanks for sharing.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

3rd Grade Rox

Old 07-26-2006, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

OH I LOVE teaching Art to my students (we do it every Friday afternoon).
I also do the tree idea, but I give my students tiny orange, red, and yellow squares to glue around the tree to look like Fall leaves.

One of my favorite activities for Halloween is to give each of my students a blown up orange balloon. Then with a permanent marker (that's the only kind of marker that will work), the students will decorate their balloon to look like a Jack-o-lantern. They turn out SO cute. I staple the top of the balloons to a brown bulletin board to look like a pumpkin patch. You could even attach all the tops of the balloons to green yarn to give it that viney look. They look WAY cute!

For Thanksgiving I give each of my students an 8in by 8in piece of white construction paper. They then write "I am thankful for". They then write what they're thankful for and draw a picture of it. I then take all their thankful pieces and put them all together on the bulletin board to make a Thankful Quilt. In the middle I write "Mrs. Evans' class is thankful for many things". Around the edges of the quilt I get a white border to give it that lacey feel.

In January we make snowmen out of cotton balls (just have them attach it to blue construction paper). Then I have them decorate their snowman and the background. I've also changed it for Easter and had my students make Easter bunnies out of cotton balls. They love this!

These are just a few ideas. I hope they help.
3rd Grade Rox is offline   Reply With Quote

FischerTeach

Watercolor Leaves
Old 07-26-2006, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Each year I did this with my sixth graders, and the paintings turn out beautiful. I draw like 3 different leaf patterns on a piece of paper and copy it on construction paper or tagboard so it is more sturdy than regular paper. The students cut out the patterns and use them to create a leaf collage on tagboard (watercolors soak through construction paper and rip the paper). I tell them that the leaves must be overlapping in some areas. We then talk about primary and secondary colors. Students then take a pencil and VERY LIGHTLY mark each of the leaves with the first letter of a primary color (B=blue, R=red, etc). Next, they mark each of the overlapped areas with the frist letter of the secondary color that each of the primary colors create (G=green, O=orange, etc). After their collage is marked, they begin painiting with watercolors. A word of advice...do not let students mix secondary colors using two of the primary colors because it turns out an ugly brown color. Instead, have them use the secondary color from the watercolor palate (sp?). For example if they have overlapped a yellow leaf and a blue leaf, have them use green paint in the overlapped area instead of some blue and some yellow. This usually takes a few days, but they are beautiful to hang up in the classroom.
FischerTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisa Ader

decorative paper
Old 07-26-2006, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One of my favorite projects is to let each child select a piece of decorative paper or theme paper. I buy a package of paper that might have a sheet that looks like reptile skin, or leopard spots, bricks, stone, wood grain, stars, etc. I have them make an object from their paper and then draw a picture to support their object. Its really neat! For example one kid picked reptile skin paper and he made a large snake from it. He then drew a tree and the habitat using crayons or colored pencils and glued his snake in the picture. Another one made a tree house out of the wood grain paper and drew Jack and Annie from the Magic Tree House. It is awesome to see their creativity!!! This paper can be found at Walmart in the scrapbooking/craft area!
Lisa Ader is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Hands and Feet Turkeys!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Definately my favorite and it makes such a cute bulletin board! I made a big turkey for the middle of my bulletin board. I have "feathers" made out of construction paper that the students write what they are thankful for on. Then I dress the turkey with the feathers. Any leftover feathers are stapled to the bottom of the BB, like they dropped on the ground! They turn out so cute!

I got the idea here: http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/hand-tur.html

The title of the BB is "We Are Thankful For Many Things!"

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

KP/NH

Awesome Snowflakes To Hang From Ceiling
Old 07-27-2006, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love this site for craft ideas. I've made the snowflakes with 2nd graders, and they are beautiful.

http://www.talentedkidzone.com/crafts/flakehowto.html
KP/NH is offline   Reply With Quote

SKMyers16

spooky halloween art
Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here is my favorite seasonal art project-
students have a black piece of construction paper and with a pencil, outline a spooky Halloween picture (graveyard, haunted house, ghosts, etc)). The next step is to punch tiny holes with a push pin along the lines. (Not too close that they become cut out) Once the project is finished, i hang them along the windows and we can see the artwork shining through the tiny holes. Another teacher uses the same idea but with orange and makes jack-o-lanterns. Kids love doing it and seeing the finished project.
Added tip-if you have individual carpet squares, put them under the sheet before using the push pin. Helps a great deal!
SKMyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Jenise

Jenise

Old 07-27-2006, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Crayon batik on yellow construction paper is my favorite and even the extra special needs children get awesome results! You need construction paper, black poster paint, crayons, old newspapers, and a sink or wash tubs. Use heavy weight yellow constuction paper and have students draw a simple line picture or design using a black crayon. Sometimes I will choose 3 or 4 simple pictures (such as a butterfly, a flower, a fish etc. from a coloring book) and use the copier to put the designs on the paper for students to trace over with the black crayon. Next students use light, bright crayons to color the design VERY HEAVILY--they love this and it takes a good bit of time--ALL of the paper needs to be covered with crayon including the background area. If you've got a sink, great...if not, fill two buckets or tubs with water, one will be used for wetting and one to be used for washing off. Dip the crayoned drawing into clean water then crumple it. Smooth back out on the stack of newprint and paint a layer of black tempra over it. Count to ten then carefully rinse paint off (the paper will be fragile at this point but tears can be smoothed together). Lay on clean newsprint to dry! These are gorgeous matted on another sheet of construction paper. Choose seasonal designs for a particular time of year or a topic if you want to tie this project into a lit study or curriculun area, enjoy!
MCZ

MCZ

Halloween "trick" spiders
Old 07-27-2006, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have done this with first and third graders--they love it. Buy black pipe cleaners (legs) and black pom-poms (for the heads-the larger kind). You also need to buy google eyes and clear fishing line. Each student needs four pipe cleaners that they fold in half and cut (which makes 8 little legs). The students twist the pipe cleaners in the middle a couple of times and tie where they twisted with a foot long piece of clear fishing wire. They glue the head and eyes on top of the legs (they have to let them sit still after gluing or they will fall off). After it dries, they trick each other by pulling on the fishing line and making the spider "walk." I have seen other teachers have the students make spider webs for their spiders out of wire hangers and black string, although I have yet to try this.

Charity3

Christmas Idea
Old 07-27-2006, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I use coloring pages and make overheads of them - one for each child. (I usually pick 2 pictures - one lantern, and one candle for them to choose from and ask them ahead of time which they want.) The kids color the picture in marker being careful not to touch what they've already colored. After it's dry, I crinkle up aluminum foil and lay that over a piece of paper and then put the overhead on top - it makes it look like there is light behind the overhead. Lastly, I staple these onto a black piece of construction paper and hang on the wall! The kids love them, they take a while - especially if they use lots of color and they can't leave any clear spaces - and they turn out great for even the messiest kids!
Charity3 is offline   Reply With Quote

traci.k

snowman
Old 07-29-2006, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I do this activity in Dec and it can hang through the winter. Read short stories to them that have snowmen in them and then have them write their own snowman story. When they are done I give them white eggcartons that have been cut apart so that they have 3 humps (one white egg carton makes 4 snowmen) and I cut out "scarves" out of flannel material and give them construction paper and felt and buttons to decorate their snowmen with and then they glue it on the front of the cover of their story which is made from blue construction paper. I let them decorate the cover w/white crayons also. It looks really great and like I said since it's a winter theme it can hang in the hall for quite some time!!
traci.k is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

seasonal projects
Old 07-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I did a bulletin board one year that I rotated monthly all year long. I chose a simple clipart picture and sent one home with each student. They were to decorate their clipart with whatever materials they wanted. This was considered a family project and family members were allowed to participate. We had some really great looking projects come in. I did not do it this the past two years, but I plan to do it once again this year.

Aug---that was my welcome board, so I did it
Sept--acorn
Oct---fall leaf
Nov---turkey
Dec----bell
Jan---snowflake
Feb---heart
March---shammrock
April---umbrella
May---flower
June--sun or sand pail
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

isellabrate

Snowmen
Old 07-29-2006, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My students bring a lot of drinkable yogurt for snack or lunch. This comes in cute little white containers that rather resemble snow people (after you remove the outer label, which is easy to do.) We wash them and store them for January.

Last year the students decorated their snowperson to resemble a character they really liked in a book. They built a scene for it, but had to keep it shoebox size. (We have a small room with very little display space.) Another year we simply made snow people. They were so wonderfully creative both times. I plan to do it again this year.

Jan
isellabrate is offline   Reply With Quote