Help

ARCHIVE

Class placements--just a few questions

>

crazyeights

Class placements--just a few questions
Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How does everyone do class placements for the next year? Do you meet with your team? Do you place students with specific teachers or do you group students together and principal assigns the teacher? Do you take parent requests? We consistently have difficulty because there is no agreement among us about the best way to do this. Please share! Thanks!

crazyeights is offline   Reply With Quote

2MuchFun

class groupings
Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We meet as a team and make our class lists for the following year. We look at behaviors, academics, reading levels, personalities,etc and do the best we can. The Principal then assigns the classes to next year's teacher.
2MuchFun is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We fill out a half sheet of paper for each kid- with race, behavior rating, test scores, grades, any special considerations (ESL, EC...), whether or not the parents are active and any kids that should not be in the same class. Then we sit down as a grade level and dole them out- we always ask that the grade level above us comes down to look them over, but they never do. We assign the kids to the teachers and our principal looks them over and does occasionally take a parent request. It is a fairly painless process. Takes maybe an hour or so to divide about 125 kids into 5 classes each year.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyl

Class placement
Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We'll do this next week at an after school meeting. Each grade level meets. We have half sheets of either blue(boys) or pink(girls) for each child in our present class. On those sheets are any educational needs(learning support, gifted, etc.). Each team discusses placement and arranges them as best we can into groups for the following year. We do suggest teachers for each group. Our principal will make any switches he thinks would be benificial. Usually there are very few.
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

TuesdayBear

Old 05-08-2009, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do the half sheets, and we group the kids so that an even amount of high, medium, and low kids are in each class. Then, we make sure there aren't any kids in the same class who shouldn't be together. The principal will then make modifications. There are usually several switches in each class. And then a teacher is assigned to each class, by the principal.

TuesdayBear is offline   Reply With Quote

salem

Old 05-09-2009, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow--I'm amazed that you all have that much control over the students' placecments. I'm in NC and we have no say-so on what teacher the student gets!!! Maybe this is just in my county since I have seen this at all the schools my own kids have gone to, and at other schools I have subbed/taught in (we are a large, affluent county.)

Personally, I'm glad we don't have anything to do with it since parents get so crazy sometimes about making sure their child does get a certain teacher. This way the parents know that we have no control over it, and they don't start bugging us about it!

We fill out a large index card that asks for some info---names of any students they shouldn't be placed with next year, parent involvement, IEP/ESL/other pull-out info, and if they are capable of travel between classrooms (some 3-4-5 students stay with the same teacher all day, some change classes for 1/2 the day),

After that, the curriculum coordinator and principal make up the final lists. I do wish they would look closer at the gender make-up of rooms---I got 5 girls and 10 boys this year! Not a lot drama going on with so few girls, but hard for pairing up for the girls!!
salem is offline   Reply With Quote

conolley

Old 05-09-2009, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We meet as a third grade team to make up the lists for fourth grade. I've only been in my building 2 years, and I think that my first year was the first time they let the teachers make the initial lists. We have some kids the have to be in a certain class because they are ELL, SpEd, or gifted. Then, we just split the rest evenly by ability and boys and girls. We are able to note which kids need to be separated and I try to keep in mind which kids would learn best in which classroom. (Our fourth grade teachers are all very good, but very different in their styles.) The principal then adjusts the class lists based on what she thinks is best and tries to honor reasonable parent requests. Overall, it works out alright this way. Last year she gave us the lists with parent requests already on there and a few staff members got offended because they weren't requested. This year she's making those changes after so that teacher's don't know about the requests.
conolley is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

team meets at end of year
Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We use the half sheet pink and blue slips, too. We meet as a team to divide our current grade students into classes for the next grade. We try very hard to make sure that we don't have students in bad combinations, and that we do have a balance of abilities, genders, and races. However, the sheets are turned in to administration before we leave for the summer. Classes are assigned to teachers by admin. When we get back in the fall there have always been a number of changes as kids move in and out of the district. Occasionally specific parent requests are honored--though not too often, as far as I can tell. Sometimes we end up with the class from h*&&, and nobody did it on purpose! I alway figure in the long run, you just take what you get and make it work.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 05-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We meet and discuss how to split up the students for the next year. We try to ensure that students with difficulties or discipline issues are all spread out, and that each classroom has an equal amount of low, average, and high students. We also try to have equal amounts of boys and girls. Students are assigned to teacher 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Before school begins in the fall, the principal decides which teacher is assigned what class.
volstate is offline   Reply With Quote

N2Teaching

Software available?!?!
Old 05-09-2009, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Personally, I wish there was some type of software that would do this for you. Too much headache when it comes to teacher requests, behavior, etc.

We get together as a grade level .... divide students up trying our best to be equal on High, Medium, Low, boys/girls, etc.

Our teachers' and PTO officers get requests for their children, so it can be wild!

N2Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 05-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We used to use software to sort the students. However, it never did a really great job of sorting students. After all, by time you account for all the little things you need to know to build a list, it is easier and less time consuming to do it yourself.
volstate is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Old 05-10-2009, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In my last district, (very large) we filled out blue cards which listed gender, race, ability level, students who are on IEPs, and notes about behavior.

We separated cards by groups. We walked around the table and sorted each group. (for example, we might start with high white males, then move to high african american males, etc.)

After we finished, we looked to see that we had balanced classes by ability, behavior problems, gender and race. And after spending an inordinate amount of time, it was all changed over the summer by admin.

At my new school (small, private), the teachers sit down with the director of admissions and we make up the classes based on what we know about our students. We only have two classes per grade level so we know our children pretty well. We do take parent requests if they write a letter explaining why they want their child with a particular teacher. We also check to make sure the classes are pretty balanced and if there are children who shouldn't be together, we try to take that into consideration as well.
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote