Help

ARCHIVE

being observed in science

>

walkingdi

being observed in science
Old 09-25-2006, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a new principal this year and am having my formal observation with her in the next few weeks. I would like to do a hands-on science experiment with the class. The next few topics are: heat, color, and force/motion. Our text book has experiments but they are not very good. Does anyone have any lessons/experiments/ ideas for any of the above topics?
Thanks!

walkingdi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisa Ader

Classification lab
Old 09-27-2006, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know about you but when I get observed I want the children actively engaged and the lesson centered on them, not me. One lab that I do with my 3rd graders and they love is the classification lab. I start out by explaining that scientists classify all items according to similarities and differences. I give groups of 3-4 students a tray or bag or something containing 10 items or so. Students must classify these items into 2 or 3 groups according to rules that they set as a team. They must write the rule for the groups and make sure each item fits. Items I use are things like a magnet, marble, rubberband, coin, paperclip, eraser, plastic toy, chalk, anything like that. I give them about 15 minutes or so to come up with a rule. Then we compare what rules everyone came up with. It is really interesting to see. I wlak around and encourage them by guiding and asking thought provoking questions. Very fun, easy, and it is working on math/science skills.
Lisa Ader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

lesson
Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Color would be a lot of fun I think. You could tie the color lesson in with the study of light. I have done this before and it was successful and fun. It was a two or three day lesson for me but you could play with it. To get their attention, I used the overhead and three clear cups of water placed on the screen. Use food coloring to drop into the water. The primary colors are used first-blue, red and yellow. Then have them predict what will happen if you mix the yellow into the blue etc. They may know already but it looks really neat on the overhead. Make sure you practice the number of drops to add before the actual lesson. You can bring mirrors into the lesson and bend light to get a rainbow in the room- also looks neat.
On another day they used Karo syrup and food coloring on foil to mix colors. I'm not sure of all the details because I did it while student teaching many years ago. Then they can use their own color sheets to mix colors. I used the colored sheet protectors cut into circles. I made a sheet with a color circle + color circle=? They can color in their circles. You can use all three colors to get brown too.
They ended the lesson mixing colored frosting and graham crackers to build a building of their choice. It needs to be thick so they stick together. At the end they get to eat them-always a hit.
Good luck on your observation.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

mrshall

Old 09-29-2006, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

try a chromotography lesson for colors....
mrshall is offline   Reply With Quote