Help

Third Grade

Staar scores? (Texas teachers)

>

msstars

Staar scores? (Texas teachers)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any Texas teachers receive their staar scores?

msstars is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

STAAR scores
Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

None for us yet, but our 5th grade got reading and math-no science.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Scores
Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just got 'em, and "they ain't pretty". Just finished a meeting with our campus principal where she shared all our raw scores. Doesn't mean much though, when we don't know what the passing standards are going to be. We also don't know how many or which ones of the questions will be thrown out because they are field test questions. But going with a straight 70 passing rate using all the questions on the test, our principal gave us some "predictions" of who passed and who failed.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Yes
Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I got my raw scores today. They are not very good. Wish there was more information.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

b2003

We did..
Old 05-25-2012, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Get the scores today.

b2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mad4Math

In, but not shared
Old 05-25-2012, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our raw data is in, but our principal did not yet share the scores or news with us. All of the comments here are making me nervous...
Mad4Math is offline   Reply With Quote

friends

Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We got ours today. Not very good either. Gave us percentages and we did much lower than other years. No other information given. The report has only how many they missed so our principal got a percentage. If the standard is fifty, we did good. If the standard is seventy than we are below a 50%. Everyone feeling low today. We worked hard and still kids did not do well. Interesting to see if it is the same throughout the state.
friends is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

It is my understanding
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

that these raw scores included field questions. Those questions might be removed to assess actual scores, however I am not sure we will receive that information.

b2003

Staar
Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I thought that it didnt include field questions.I also believe that the raw score is the amount that they got that were correct. So if they got a 17, then it means that they got 17 right out of the amount of questions listed under each objective.
b2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

HookEmTeacher

I think b2003 is correct
Old 05-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

because when I looked at my raw scores, the total # tested was less than the actual number of questions on the test for both reading and math.

HookEmTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Really?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I thought there were exactly 40 questions on the reading exam. I don't remember how many were on the math, but I know it was more than the reading and that is what my results show.

I guess my principal was misinformed. I really wish we had more information.

Seldee

We got ours
Old 05-26-2012, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Friday but 5th grade got theirs in on Thurs. It was not good. Some teachers were laughing in a sort of hysterical way while others just looked completely broke down. I mean we worked so hard and then we get this zinger right at the end of school. STAAR makes my head hurt.
Seldee is offline   Reply With Quote

mel

got ours
Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Math had 54 questions and we were told scores were out of 46. Reading had 46 I think and it was out of 40. We have been an exemplary campus for as long as I have been there (10 years) + before I was there. Our scores were definitely not exemplary. Our average for all the kids' scores was a 70% on reading and a 74% on math. The sad part of this is going to be that we will be told that we didn't raise the standards enough in our classroom (or that is how the public might view these results). However, I raised the standards in my classroom and the standards just aren't developmentally appropriate for a 3rd grade student. I suggest that everyone writes TEA. I wrote them back in April about field testing high school students and received a response within a week. They responded to everything I put in my email. We need to flood them with emails about how they have no clue what is developmentally appropriate for kids. 2 and 3 step math problems are just not possible for the average third grade kid. The only ones in my classroom that could ever figure them out were my highest kids.
mel is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleo88

Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've noticed that the scores seems to be low compared to last year's. I wish our scores were in the 70's. They were well below that. I have a question for everyone, though. How much credit did/does your principal take for those scores? Some? None at all? I know that we are ultimately responsible for our own teaching, but I was just wondering. How important is teacher morale? We had issues with our principal all year long. Favoritism. Incompetence. No parental support. Absenteeism.
Again-just wondering.
Cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Old 05-29-2012, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our principal hasn't shared our scores, nor has any other principal in our district. I'm not sure if this is a district directive or not. I'm getting a little worried after seeing all of the posts. I'm at a Title 1 school with over 90% or our population at risk. We were getting good at taking the TAKS.
76lake is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Just my 2cents
Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I was talking with a principal friend today, who is saying the same thing.. not seen them, no idea what to expect, final "what is what" won't be decided until next JANUARY???

So, my 2c, I don't think THEY know what passing is... when TEAMS/TAAS/TAKS were first out, "passing" was like 50%. I truly believe, rather than admit all these kids "failed" or did badly, they will do something like make 50% the passing rate, and then each year increase it (like they did with TAAS many years ago). By finding where the majority scored, and making that the "passing rate" they keep the state from looking like they didn't pass, and all is good and right in the testing world again.. :0/
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

texteach55

craziness
Old 05-29-2012, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We don't know what the passing rate is, but we do know it won't be 70%. It will be much lower. How crazy that we won't find out until January, 2013 who passed on a test the kids took in April, 2012.

If I'm not mistaken in Florida there is a flap going on right now because they made the FCAT much harder but lowered the passing rate. That doesn't really make sense to me, but what do I know.

Pearson creates all of these tests. In Texas we are told to actively monitor but not to look at the test or any of the questions. I never take a chance with that directive, so I don't have a clue what is on the test. We are also told not to talk about the test and I think it's to cover their rears because some of the questions may be invalid. That's what they are finding out in NY State. Some of the questions are horrible and have more than one right answer or no right answer at all.

This testing black hole we are in in Texas is nonsense. Nobody knows anything about the test and our kids could be answering questions that are misleading or wrong and who would know?

What about 4th grade Writing. How are the compositions scored?
texteach55 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Not necessarily a black hole..
Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

because I had to read the entire test to a student for an "oral administration" in math, and then had to read all the questions to the child on the reading... the student has to read the passages...

However, since I'm not supposed to know what is on it... I didn't listen while I read it...
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

WhooGirl

Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Be glad the VAM hasn't passed over to Texas from Louisiana! 50% of our evaluation comes from test scores. We're screwed.
WhooGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Rena17

Rena17

STAAR ugh!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I also teach at a 90% low socio-ecoD school. If it's at 70%, we made 21% passing. Seriously!!! I wanted to run out of the room screaming. We had double digit gains last year and finally dug ourselves out of a huge hole and now we plummet into an even deeper hole. I didn't look at a single problem. I have no clue what was on the math STAAR test, but I know my students should have done better than that.
rockbay

rockbay

Scores were appalling
Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My principal received scores last week and shared them yesterday afternoon. English I EOC scores were appalling. I was mortified to see scores in the 55% passing range for writing, and 65% range for reading. I was accustomed to seeing my students' ELA TAKS scores in the 95-98% passing rate. However, after conducting internet searches to find score reports for other schools, it seems that our scores were consistent with those schools. Morale at our school has been declining due to increased class sizes, workload, and budget restraints. After working our tails off to meet the unknown challenges of the new test and seeing such low numbers, many teachers on my campus are at their breaking point and are considering leaving the education field. Something has to give...

crazy4libby

STAAR and CSCOPE
Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Just curious, how many teachers that posted about STAAR results use CSCOPE as their curriculum? If you do use CSCOPE, are you required to follow all of the exemplar lessons, the IFDs, or only the Scope/Sequence? CSCOPE is supposed to address the rigor of the new assessment. At least, that's the load of crap we were given.
crazy4libby is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleo88

rockbay
Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

How did you find other school's scores? I'd like to compare scores in our district. Did you just google the school to find the scores? We worked our behinds off, but our scores were awful, too. I went home nauseous and with a horrible headache. Some people just started laughing like it was a joke. I guess we all react to disappointment and disgust in different ways.
Cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote

tteacher

We use
Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Cscope, or as I like to call it: Ccrap, but it isn't developmentally appropriate and has many bugs and isn't even complete. We are required to follow the IFD and "encouraged" to use the rest of it. Plus, at our district, they keep tabs on how often teachers log in. Can someone give me a "Big Brother"!
tteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Melootle

Cscope and STAAR
Old 06-02-2012, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

We are required to use the Cscope scope and sequence, which is in terrible order. Our scores were terrible this year. We went self contained this year, which we fought all the way. We feel hopeless with three tests to teach, using a crummy curriculum. Hate being treated like little kids like we aren't in the trenches, knowing what needs to be done.
Melootle is offline   Reply With Quote

23yr

any jobs on the line?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I see only teachers posting on this topic, so I need some help. I am a campus principal. Our scores were not good. I tried to build up the teachers, but everyone was so down after I shared the scores. Our teachers worked so hard and it broke my heart to see them hurting. What else could have I done for them? Another question-are any principal's jobs in danger because of their scores?
23yr is offline   Reply With Quote

23yr

cscope
Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Someone asked about CSCOPE. Our STAAR scores were low. We used CSCOPE. The whole thing. We were told to use it and could only use other things after we used the entire CSCOPE lesson. Does anyone else use it like that?
23yr is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnismile

Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Our district uses Cscope, and we are supposed to use explemplar lessons, IFDs, etc. The past couple of years, we have followed it as instructed by our curriculum director. Needless to say, the lessons were vague and time consuming! Locating materials to go along with the lessons made the task of teaching this curriculum a nightmare. Our scores were disappointing to say the least! I'm really interested to see how school districts that DIDN'T use Cscope fared!
sunnismile is offline   Reply With Quote

SandyJ

Old 06-05-2012, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

One of the MANY reasons why I just retired!!!!!
SandyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

etxteacher

STAAR scores
Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

We just received our scores for third grade last week. We were given them from our principal along with the question "What did you do all year?, obviously not teach!" This is from a principal who still hasn't given us our summative yet? Really? and he wants to question our abilities? Our raw scores were very low. He told us that our scores were the lowest in a tri-county area. So he has access to that comfidential informaion? Not a lot of faith in our "fearless leader". When I as a third grade teacher last had an average passing rate of 85% I am insulted by the sarcaism. My question for state is if we don't get official resluts until January 2013, how do we as teachers know what we need to change, leave the same, or elaborate more on when it comes to our teaching strategies? If what worked for me last year, didn't work this year, oh wait......I won;t know until January. They are changing the TEKS for the 2013-2014 school year to match the STAAR test, so as teachers when we pull from all areas to enhance a curriculum that is below standard, you will be "guessing" until standards are set and made known to teachers, as well as the public.
We pull from CSCOPE as well. There is no way to teach all they have listed. Unless you go to the 2010-2011 year, there are no exempler lessons, and then I wonder if they contain more "rigor?".

Just a little frustrated with the whole system, and the lack of informaiton available or given to those of us who are being held accountable for the scores.
etxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Coach Fowler

Coach Fowler

Staar
Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I saw my son's staar scores and I was displeased. I know how intelligent my 3rd grade son is. He reads Harry Potter books and his average AR grade level is 5th-6th grade. His percent score in reading was a 73 and his percent score in math was a 78. I'm not sure how that matches up to other schools, but it was disheartening to me.