Help

Third Grade

Third Grade

>

Lexis

Third Grade
Old 06-07-2013, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today was the end of my 30th year of teaching and 29 have been in third grade. I still love teaching third grade but things have changed in the last 30 years. Teaching is harder and so much more paperwork! I am planning on one more year!

Lexis is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Wow, 29 years!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations!

I have taught 22 years and have been in third grade for 9. The first five years I taught were way back in the early 1980's. Then I stayed home for a few years to care for my own children. Teaching has changed a great deal in that time period. You would think with all our technology there would be less paper work, but there is actually more. Documentation, documentation and more documentation. Not the reason I went into teaching.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

doc2000

So True....
Old 06-07-2013, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will complete my 37th year on Monday. Most have been in admin. first and the last seven in third. I'll continue in third, but at a different school next year. Teaching has changed and the paperwork a pain in the @%$, but I love the technology!
doc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

One Year Ahead of Me!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This will be my 30th (and I'm fairly certain final) year, the majority of which have been in third grade. I still love it -- at least my actual time with students - but you're right about the way the job has changed. Not what I signed up for exactly. Plus my husband has retired and has itchy feet and we want to travel before knees, etc. give out!

We'll get there.

;-)
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Wow!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Congratulations! When I tell people I've just completed my 18th year of third grade some think it's strange that I haven't switched grade levels, but I love 3rd. It's good to hear of others who have also spent their career at this level. See, it isn't strange at all!

beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I agree...
Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been in education 37 years and have been in third the last 8 in my present school. It definitely isn't as much fun as it used to be. The state and federal government have had too much of a say in things that teachers professionally were able to control before. I don't like the restrictiveness of the Common Core, and all the testing, and add to that the new evaluation program tied to student testing, and it is getting to be overwhelming. I would like to work at least 5 more years, but after next year, I will have my age for a full pension plus the service credit for full paid health benefits when I retire, so I plan on taking it year by year. Love the students, but am starting to hate all the other stuff.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

3rd grade career
Old 07-05-2013, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I, too, have spent most of my teaching career in 3rd grade--the last 26 out of 32 years to be exact. I've always felt I found my niche here--you have low level kids who come in actually working on K/1 level, special needs kids who sometimes only come for socialization time each day, and those smarty-pants children who challenge you to keep them challenged because in truth, THEY could probably teach the class. So I've never felt stagnant in this grade. But the challenges of lack of discipline, lack of respect, etc.--just general societal changes does give me reason to think about retirement in the not too distant future. It's a lot of work to try and keep it fun for ME as well as the children.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote