Help

Second Grade

Interactive Notebooks

>

hawkeyegirl

Interactive Notebooks
Old 08-27-2015, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anybody using interactive notebooks in second grade? What do you think? Can you recommend any good resources? I have been checking TPT and found several that look interesting. I would like to see what other teachers say before purchasing them. I am thinking of starting with reading and go from there. Thank you!

hawkeyegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

I am starting
Old 08-27-2015, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This year I want to begin using interactive notebooks. I will start with reading, then build from there. So far I found several free samples on tpt. That's as far as I've gotten. I plan to work with my team and pool our resources. Can't wait to hear from other posters.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use this free resource from Beth Newingham/Scholastic about Informational Text. I just printed out the slideshow and use it with our Scholastic News magazine.

http://blogs.scholastic.com/files/te...lideshow-1.pdf

I've been reading about interactive notebooks, but not sure how much latitude there is. Do you think this Informational Text resource is an interactive notebook, or is it something else? I'm really curious - please help me understand.

ETA: The slideshow takes a while to download, but I think it's worth it. I use the resource all year long.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

FitTeach

Interactive Notebooks
Old 08-29-2015, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I purchased Nicole Shelby's 2nd Grade Interactive Notebook on TPT last year and it is great - but a little work printing the pages and getting them ready for students to glue into their journals. I project on the board what we are going over and have them print the extra information in as we glue the sheets for the day. I got it on sale, but it's listed as $13.50.
FitTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

21stcteacher

keep your purpose in mind
Old 09-04-2015, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had the opportunity to offer support in a 4/5 LA class last year where the teacher used interactive notebooks. My experience in that classroom is that it takes a lot of time to build the pages---and sometimes the lesson gets lost. I think its important to understand the purpose of your notebook and build from there.

This year in second grade, I'm using a math notebook for our "Writing in Math" and practice work. I'm calling our Science notebook a LOG---where we will keep track of our learning (vocabulary, key concepts) as well as our investigations (questions, observations, conclusions, etc.) For Social Studies, we'll use it as a resource for vocab/key concepts and our pbls.

Really all notebooks should be interactive---I think it just depends on how fancy you want to make them. How much time do you want the students to spend coloring, cutting and gluing---and in the end how much will that impact the learning?

IMO notebooks should be a way to decrease our amount of copying by allow the children authentic writing experiences. For example, we did a Math About Me page as our first page in our math notebook. Instead of printing out a worksheet (there are many on TPT) I made a list of suggestions on the board and the students selected from that list. They then recorded the math about me on their notebook page, and were instructed to label the numbers and add detail in color or drawings. It was a very successful lesson and had my students writing in math.
Hope this helps!

21stcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

I use interactive notebooks.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught 3rd grade for many years, and used interactive notebooks there with success. Last year when I moved to 2nd I found that these teachers had been using them, too, but not as extensively. My math one is my main focus. I use divider tabs at the beginning of each skill unit. That way if a child needs to find his place value chart to use on a worksheet, he can quickly flip to that tab in the notebook and find what he wants. At first it IS time consuming to set the journals up, but I think the reward is when a child spontaneously reaches for that journal instead of whining for help, or talking to their neighbor. My journals contain many things--charts, foldables, writing responses, even games to play with a friend! The kids love them!
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote