Help

Second Grade

Fountas and Pinnell phonics

>

tweet

Fountas and Pinnell phonics
Old 09-13-2016, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Who uses it? Do you like it? Do you do a Daily 5 type program? We were "ordered" to use this phonics program this year, but are struggling to implement it into our existing program. Upon questioning, we were told those who made the executive decision to buy it didn't even look at it before purchasing for our school. This is what was recommended by our teacher service center, and as my principal said when we complained about not liking it, "Fountas and Pinnell are the gurus. They should know what's best." I'd love to know your opinions, and if you use another phonics program we'd love to hear about it, too. Previously, our school used Saxon Phonics, and our kindergarten still does.

tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Phonics
Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have used it and am trying to use it more. Our District uses Words Their Way, but it only covers spelling (and boring as all get out). I got permission to pilot F&P. I think it is a better program Nd covers far more. But, it is prep intensive.

Overall, I like it, I just don't have time to do all the prep work for a lot of the lessons. I pick and choose and create my own lessons.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote
lmischke

lmischke

F & p
Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have used F&P's intervention and assessment programs for several years now which incorporate the phonics, and I love using their intervention program. We have found it very effective. I was sent by my district to their trainings, and they were most beneficial. Personally, I feel if they are going to make you use their program, it would help to be personally trained in it. It will be so much more effective for you. Do you think they would be willing to send some of you? We used Title Two money.

I do Pull-Outs and work with four students at a time up in my Literacy Lab. I incorporate the phonics lessons along with the readers we read each week. I know some of our teachers like the Guided Reading program, and we use their assessments to find out what level our children are reading at.

Dubaiteacher

F & P - Food for thought
Old 09-14-2016, 01:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school adopted F&P last year to assess 1st and 2nd for our state mandated SLO. I am using it for the first time this year and over the past two weeks- yeah, still not finished testing all of my students with help from our 1 and only reading coach (I work for a huge district at an elementary school, grades Pre-K - 5th, title 1, 800 plus students!!!) and am almost half way through 23 kids.

I used DIBLES previously in another state for kindergarten. I think it's same idea, just add some comprehension with your fluency and viola- you can make a boat load of money selling strategies to the whole country!!!!

I have only received OTJ training and I have to say it's very time consuming and we have found that test scores from last 2016 spring are not accurate to the child's current reading level in many cases. Not sure if that is due to inaccurate assessment to show growth on the SLO &/or just simple lack of retention from 1st to 2nd grade?
Anywho- I think the paperwork for the test is rediculuous and as always, the people who make these decisions are looking at children as numbers/data rather than humans.
The F&P people should be very wealthy by now!!! They are cornering the market on reading in the classroom.
Dubaiteacher is offline   Reply With Quote