Help

ARCHIVE

Multiplication Program

>

wolono

Multiplication Program
Old 05-22-2006, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My prinicpal has agreed to let me look into a few multiplication programs over the summer. We have Saxon math and it is terrible for learning and retaining facts. What do you use? What are the pros and cons of the program and where can I find information on it? Thanks in advance!

Wendy

wolono is offline   Reply With Quote

Hockey Fan

Otter Creek
Old 05-22-2006, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Otter Creek is a program designed to help with mastery of all facts. They have components for each of the operations. I think if you do a google search it might help.
Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Saxon math
Old 05-22-2006, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We had Saxon for over eight years and just ditched it a couple of years ago. The one thing I did like about it was the way it taught skip counting during the meeting and the order it taught the facts. My kids seemed to pick up on their facts faster than they do now. Granted, I despise the rest of the Saxon program, but that part I carried over into what I do now.

I don't know of any whiz-bang programs (could use that info myself), but a couple of things we do to help the kids learn their facts are multiplication wrap-ups, and a little drill we do called a circle drill--originally from Frank Shaffer. Basically you call out random numbers, the kids multiply that times the number written in a circle at the top of the column on their papers. We have our kids pass 3 consecutive times before going on to the next fact family. Each time they pass off a family they earn a part of a banana split. (We will have our banana split party day after tomorrow.) With the circle drill kids on any fact family can do the drill at the same time--one can be on 2's while another is on 8's, but the teacher only has to call out the numbers one time for everyone.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

mel

competitions
Old 05-29-2006, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My students learned their math facts better this year than any other year. We set up a friendly competition with the entire grade level. We did it around the world style. We had 4 classes. There was a schedule. Each class played another class. We lined up in two lines. The two students were given a flash card. The one who answered it first was the winner. We continued play until one class had no one left. The students were so competitive. They went home and learned them. They had to know them really quick or the other person would beat them. It also put a little pressure on them because when it was their turn everyone knew if they were good or bad at it and if they knew it or not. In the end, everyone was a winner. The three losing classes had to bring food to feed the winning class. We all ate though. Of course there were still a few that did not learn them, but Ithink there were more this year that really learned them. And, their speed was unbelievable!!!!
mel is offline   Reply With Quote
littlepig17

littlepig17

Times table facts
Old 06-01-2006, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm a third grade teacher. At my school this is when they have to start learning all of the facts. We also use Saxon-sucks! They only have lessons on a few of the facts. Anyway, what we do is timed tests. They get 3 minutes to finish a half page of the facts. They start out with their 0's and 1's, then their 2's, 3's, etc. There is a 0-4's, a 5-9's, and a 0-12's before they move on to division. We make a bulletin board with ice cream scoops. They all start of with a cone. As they pass their tests, they get to put their scoop up on the bulletin board. When they pass the 0-4's they get a candy bar. When they pass their 5-9's they get a popsicle. When they pass their 0-12's they get an ice cream sundae. There are multiplication fact books out there that just have a whole page of the facts. You can cut them in half and use them as the test. In order to pass, the students can only miss 3 on the test. They just keep retaking a test until they pass. Last year I only gave the test twice a week. I started out twice a week this year, but the kids weren't doing well. I started giving the test everyday and WOW!! They started passing. They really like taking the test.

smiles

rhymes-n-times
Old 06-06-2006, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used a program called rhymes-n-times this year and loved it! The program teaches facts 0-12 in three weeks! The kids use hands on materials to act out the rhymes. For example: 6x7 rings are new, shiny and bright all 42. Kids take turns putting on 42 gold rings that come with the kit. If a student was struggling with a problem on an assignment I could ask them "How many rings?" They would usually respond, "Oh yeah 42!" You can check out their website rhymesntimes.com. They also have addition, subtraction, and division. I hope this helps.
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Brejay100

3 minute 30 second Math
Old 06-10-2006, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This was a great program that I used. I got the idea when I student taught. Basically, the kids get 30 seconds to complete a set of multiplication facts that are mixed up. They start with the 2's and move up as they pass. When they pass multiplication, they move on to division. They also complete a sheet of one hundred addition facts in which they get 3 minutes. When they complete the addition they move on to subtraction, multiplication, and then division. I always start on the first day of school. By the time we get to the multiplication unit they have the concept down. If you want to know how it works let me know. My kids really loved it. They begged to do it daily.
Brejay100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisa Ader

Old 06-14-2006, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used Rhymes N Times as well for the past 2 years and it is by far the most successful program I've ever used for multiplication. The kids love it, and they really learn their facts as well!!! It costs about 200 dollars.
Lisa Ader is offline   Reply With Quote