Help

ARCHIVE

Getting to Know you Activities

>

stlcardinals

Getting to Know you Activities
Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are some of your favorite "Getting to Know You" activities you have done with 3rd graders?

stlcardinals is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

"mystery person"
Old 06-15-2006, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's my favorite one. Each child is a given a small brown lunch bag on their first day of school. They're given directions with it (I'll attach them) and told that is their first homework assignment of the year. They're to bring in 5 items (or pictures of items) to tell about themselves. Throughout the day, I'll open a different bag and the kids try to guess which student that is. They love it - and beg me to open the bags all day! I do the first one about myself, so they get the idea. I have items like: A picture of my 3 kids, a shopping receipt (I love to shop), a tomato (my favorite food), an apple (to represent teaching), and an herbal tea bag (what I like to drink).

For the very first day, I do the "Bingo" activity where they have to go around the room and fill in the grid with classmates' signatures (someone with a sister, wearing earrings, etc...). That gives them a chance to move around, too.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Mystery Person.doc (21.5 KB, 117 views)
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisa Ader

Old 06-18-2006, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Glyphs are fun to do on the first day of school. I also like to do an art project of some sort. The good ole' magazine collage that shows thing that interests each child is a good one or also drawing a personal poster... take a piece of construction paper and fold it 4 or 6 times ..put in 1 box a pic of your family, another your favortie food, a hobby etc. you get the idea. I then display these on the wall and the children love them. They get to see who has the same interests as they do.
Lisa Ader is offline   Reply With Quote

3rd Grade Rox

Fect or Fib
Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have my students play Fact or Fib. I give each of my students an index card. On it they need to write down 3 things about themselves- 2 need to be the truth and one of them needs to be a fib. Then the students get to read their card in front of the class (or you can even do it if you have some shy ones) and then the class needs to decide on which one is the fib. Next, they tell us which one really is the fib. Some of the students are really good about coming up with a good fib, others are just hillarious what they think we might believe (like....I have a blue dog). The students all really have a good time with this game.

Spencer Kagan also has a book out called "Cooperative Learning" and he has a whole bunch of getting to know you games that promote unity in the classroom (that's where I found this game). I use a few of his games at the beginning of the year. Best of luck!
3rd Grade Rox is offline   Reply With Quote