Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you shop with your spouse/SO?

>

daffodils

Do you shop with your spouse/SO?
Old 02-13-2020, 06:19 AM

The Husbands of Target video (and post) got me thinking. Does your spouse/SO shop with you? My DH and I very rarely shop together. He'd definitely never sit in a parking lot waiting for me to shop and the only reason he'd come with me would be if there were things he needed to.

Maybe it's because when I was teaching, I'd shop on my way home from work and he worked later than I did. Once we had kids, I'd either go during the weekday with the kids, or even better wait for the weekend and leave them with him and go on my own! We had a great shopping center--I could start at Michael's, meander over to a great Target and get a Starbucks chai and wander, then head across the street to Costco and snack my way through before getting a slice of pizza for lunch.

On the reverse, if he needs stuff he just goes and shops. I don't go with him.

daffodils is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 02-13-2020, 06:22 AM

He shops for things like chainsaws, I shop for yarn and groceries. We rarely shop together. It keeps our marriage intact.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-13-2020, 06:25 AM

We don't shop together either. He drives me crazy if he does happen to go or be with me. I don't like going to the "chainsaw" stores, and I don't expect him to go to JoAnns. Sometimes I wish we did a little more of it together, especially as we are reaching retirement age.

Not that he never shops- he often stops for incidentals or things we need on his way home. Saves me a trip.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Dh
Old 02-13-2020, 06:45 AM

We pretty much go everywhere together. Both retired. We shop together always. Hard to buy him a valentine card! We enjoy each otherís company tremendously.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-13-2020, 06:49 AM

If DH is off from work and I need to go grocery shopping he will go with me.
Of course, a few extras get dropped in the grocery cart, especially if he tried a sample.

We will go together to Home Depot, Lowe’s, and the nursery. Not always but I’d say 75% of the time. Recently, he went with me to Jo Ann Fabric. I needed yarn for the preemie blankets I crochet. He wandered the store.

We do separate shopping, too. I don’t care to go to an auto parts store and he’s not keen on Hobby Lobby or Michael’s unless he needs drafting supplies.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

shopping
Old 02-13-2020, 07:02 AM

For a hundred years I did the shopping:food, clothes, gifts etc. He did car parts and the hardware store. THEN we retired, I had health problems/surgery and couldn't drive for 14 months. I longed to just meander through Target on my own. During that time DH learned to shop. The other day he said profoundly "Why doesn't Home Depot carry milk and bread?
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Shopping together
Old 02-13-2020, 07:04 AM

No, we don't. He is a, I need a blue shirt and he goes picks the first blue shirt he sees and leaves. I like to browse and he hates that. Also, when we go to the grocery store he is worse than the kids adding items into the cart!
Lady Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-13-2020, 07:27 AM

DEFINITELY! My fiance' and I are together IN GENERAL pretty much 100% of the time, so not just shopping. We just LOVE being together, always have and we've been together for a very long time now.

Re: shopping general, we love grocery shopping together. We love browsing/shopping Target or Walmart together. He even loves the mall as much as I do and he's NOT one of those guys who waits outside the stores while I look! He's honestly never even done that 1x. He'll go into Sephora or Ulta with me too.

The only place he really goes that I don't go with him is to work of course. He has no friend(s) he hangs out with. There is this one buddy, but he doesn't even see him every couple of years.

I guess we're the very rare couple who are together that much.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Nope!
Old 02-13-2020, 07:56 AM

And it's kind of a pet peeve of mine when there are 'extra' people shopping in the store. It drives me crazy when I need to maneuver my shopping cart around kids and husbands that are either running around crazily or just standing right in the middle of the aisle! I like to just zip around the store and get what I need as quickly as I can! It's much cheaper not to bring anyone else with me, too.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Do you shop with spouse
Old 02-13-2020, 08:12 AM

Rarely. Itís like taking a second child with me. He purposely horses around and causes mini mayhem.

He also doesnít go to, as Kahluablast calls it, ďthe chain saw storeĒ with me either. He has no clue what most of their inventory is for.

If he does accompany me, I send him off to other aisles to search for something I may or may not actually need.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 02-13-2020, 08:17 AM

I usually do the grocery shopping by myself especially now that Iím retired. DH is still working. I never take him clothes shopping with me. He does like to help me do Christmas shopping. We make it an all day event. He likes to go to places like Target or Costco or Home Goods. Our favorite thing to do together is go to Art Fairs in the warm weather. We go to the Art Fair and out to lunch but hardly ever buy anything.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Shopping
Old 02-13-2020, 08:34 AM

DH and I almost never shop together. I do not enjoy grocery shopping with him. He takes forever to pick what he wants, and I like to be in and out pretty quickly.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 02-13-2020, 08:43 AM

We do more often now that weíre both retired. Heís a browser and will happily wander aisles for hours. I rarely let him come to the grocery store because he reads every label

I donít like the chainsaw or tech gadget stores and he complains that I donít let him look as long as heíd like. I usually point out I didnít want to come in the first place
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 02-13-2020, 10:13 AM

Our routine lately has been we go to church then grocery shopping. I go do my thing and he does his.
crazy4catz is online now   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

No.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:25 AM

I prefer to shop alone unless I'm with my mom. I never go shopping with my friends, either, so it isn't personal against my husband.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-13-2020, 12:33 PM

Unless we are looking for something for the house, or in a bookstore, I much prefer to shop ALONE!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-13-2020, 04:13 PM

We shop together about 99% of the time. The only store I won't go in to is Best Buy. I'll sit in the car.

Other than that, we each love browsing and shopping any and every type of store, together.

I'm very thankful we have this in common. At home, we each do our own thing.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

No
Old 02-13-2020, 04:51 PM

That would be a hard nope! I am not browser and he is. I like to get in and get out quickly. Walmart pick up has been the best thing ever- I donít even have to step foot into Satanís Playground!
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

Only for
Old 02-13-2020, 04:52 PM

Food. If I need clothing or girl things I go by myself!
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 02-13-2020, 04:57 PM

If we go shopping for clothes for DH I will sometimes go along, he never does if clothes shopping for me (thank goodness!). Since we are both retired we do grocery shop together. He pushes the cart and I toss items in it. I do not enjoy going shopping at places like Home Depot because #1 he will not ask where something is located if he doesn’t know, and #2 he over analyzes the purchase (IMO). I scream (in my head), “ Just ask where it is, pick it out quickly and let’s get out of here!”

I tend to enjoy shopping by myself in general......
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-13-2020, 05:09 PM

We do shop together at times but not regularly. DH is not a browser and frankly he bugs me at times wanting to leave the store before I am done looking at everything
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Nope
Old 02-13-2020, 05:20 PM

I know where everything is in the store and it is just easier. I like to go at my own pace and DH gets ancy. I also like to bag the items a certain way so itís easier to put them away. I see it as some alone time (except when Marty the robot finds me) . As much as we love each other and enjoy each others company, itís easier and more relaxing to go alone
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-13-2020, 06:03 PM

We very rarely shop alone. Heís perfectly happy to hold my purse or push a cart. Neither of us cares to shop with the other one. Iíll push the cart in Lowes while he shops, too.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

It varies.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:40 PM

Years ago when we first got a Walmart in the area, we would both go on Friday night because those were usually pay days.
Later, when I was working & DH had a job in town, he did the shopping because he got through with work sooner and he was closer to the store; plus I occasionally had unexpected after school meetings. When I was retired & DH was still working (He had to be 66 to get SS.), I did most, if not all, of the shopping. Since DH has retired he has done some of the shopping and a few times we have gone shopping together. It's a bit irritating to shop together sometimes, but I guess that's just part of doing a huge task.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-13-2020, 09:03 PM

If we both want something at the same store and we're both home and want to go out, we'll go together. Otherwise, we mostly shop individually on the way home from work.

If I want to go to a store a distance from home and we want to do something else together as well, he'll drop me off at the store and listen to a book in the car. Then we'll keep going to the second destination when I'm done.

But we never do browsing style shopping together. I'd rather do that with my mom or friends and he'd rather do literally anything else.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 02-13-2020, 10:34 PM

If we feel like spending time together, we run our errands together. Most of the time we choose to run errands together, with the understanding that I donít really want to go into his stores, but want to spend time with him and vice versa. Usually we end up having lunch, too
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-15-2020, 01:36 PM

Never. We never really have, and probably never will. I never understood families with young kids that would all go to the grocery store together.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote