Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Birthday traditions

>

Paddlegurl

Birthday traditions
Old 02-18-2020, 07:04 AM

Do you have any special traditions for kids' birthdays in your house?

DD is turning 3 next week, and I want to do a few things to make it special. We're just having a small family party, so I thought it would be fun to do something on her actual birthday that we can repeat every year. I am looking on pinterest, but some of the ideas are a little over the top (like filling their room with balloons.) So far all I've got is chocolate chip or sprinkle pancakes for breakfast.

What makes birthdays special for your family?

Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

jeffie

Old 02-18-2020, 07:14 AM

I remember always being able to chose what we were having for supper(evening meal) and then having someone turn off all the lights in the house and singing happy birthday. It was just our family-6 kids and parents all looking at me and singing-still remember so fondly. I don't even remember any gifts that I got just the glow of candles on the cake and singing.
jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 02-18-2020, 07:20 AM

I'm so glad I raised my kids pre-pinterest!

We typically let them choose their dinner and what kind of dessert they wanted for their birthday. Gifts were opened either right before or after dinner depending on schedules.

Oh! And I made sure their favorite outfit was clean to wear that day!

Nothing major, but they knew it was their day!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

birthday
Old 02-18-2020, 07:37 AM

My mom always decorated our chair at the table with streamers, maybe a balloons tied to it as we got older. We got to pick what we wanted for supper and what kind of cake we wanted. Nothing fancy, but memorable.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 02-18-2020, 07:54 AM

We had a special crystal plate for the birthday cake.

Like others, we got to choose what we wanted for dinner, and the type of cake. We opened presents after dinner. We were allowed to invite one friend to dinner and overnight, when we were old enough.

I had a friend whose family had a birthday dinner plate and cup that the birthday kid got to use. Another friend’s family decorated the chair and had a special birthday crown for the kid to wear.

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-18-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Me, too!

On the “real” birthday, we had birthday dinner at home. Birthday child chose the meal and the type of cake and frosting (thank goodness this was pre-fondant—I made a cake from a box with frosting from a can, it was just a regular old layer cake with the appropriate number of candles, but it tasted good). We hid the cake until after dinner when we placed it in front of the birthday person and sang. Then family presents were opened.

Recently my DD reminded me that they always took cupcakes to school for the whole class. How can I have forgotten making & frosting 32 cupcakes?

We always had a party. Always. But they were relatively simple, on the Saturday closest to the birthday. As the kids grew, we had the party at home, then the park, then a venue, then back at home for slumber parties. Slumber parties were by far my kids’ favorites, though I guess parents don’t allow them nowadays.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 02-18-2020, 09:55 AM

I have always found a fun Birthday Tshirt for my kids (and we do pass them down from kid to kid--same gender) that they get to wear on their actual birthday and at their party/celebration. Target or Walmart usually has cheap ones for less than $10. My kids LOVE their shirts!

Here's an example I found with a quick search: https://www.target.com/p/boys-short-...89#lnk=sametab

We also have a red plate that says "You are Special today" that we use on birthdays and other special occasions.
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 02-18-2020, 10:49 AM

Here they got to pick their dinner, either going out or home and type of cake. I also bought a birthday balloon and tied it to their chair. That tradition has stuck for sure My very elderly mother loves it that I now do the same for her so when people walk in to her apartment they comment about it being her birthday On my most recent birthday, my DD went and bought one for me and tied it to my chair
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Special Plate
Old 02-18-2020, 10:56 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Waechtersbach...34575470&psc=1

I used this plate for my son's on their birthdays. It was not this expensive in my day. But any special plate would work.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsP0405

Old 02-18-2020, 11:34 AM

My son is turning 4 tomorrow so I’m getting his birthday stuff ready. On their birthday, I decorate the door to their bedrooms with some streamers hanging down and I blow up some balloons (5-6)and I put a few outside the door and a few on the floor in their room. Then, they get to pick their dinner/dessert like others mentioned. My daughter’s favorite thing is that I allow them to have a tiny leftover piece of cake the morning after their birthday lol- and their siblings get a little piece too. The door decorating is very simple but they love waking up to it and walking through their streamers.

Last edited by MrsP0405; 02-18-2020 at 12:49 PM..
MrsP0405 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 02-18-2020, 11:36 AM

Both my kids have birthdays immediately following Christmas so we wanted to do something to make it special. We do a scavenger hunt that we started when they were 3. Started out with just a few clues and got much more complicated as they got older. Back in the day we actually recorded clues on a VHS tape. Some clues lead to other clues and some clues lead to presents. Sometimes they needed to call cousins or grandparents to get clues, go outside in winter to find clues or even work out math problems. My son stopped wanting a scavenger hunt at 16, but my DD is still going strong at 22. Two of my favorite were when my DD was over 18. One was where most clues led to how to do things in the house, like turn off the water or gas. My other favorite was when she had an out of state friend visiting and we had the clues hidden in places that she could show her friend, like her elementary school, high school, in between books at the library and the pool where she used to lifeguard. And like others have said they get to pick where to go to dinner.
Enjoy making your own traditions with your DD.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 02-18-2020, 12:12 PM

For mine, I always get balloons for their chair at the dinner table. They also get to pick out the place for dinner. This year, I will start putting streamers outside their doors to walk through.

Simple. But I loved it growing up and I hope they like it too!
techgrad is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Nighttime present
Old 02-18-2020, 12:32 PM

My mom always ended out day with a nighttime present. It was something little, like a book or a flashlight, but it was a fun way to end the day.

When we got up in the morning our presents were in a pile at our place at 5he table, and the siblings got a little gift, too.

I miss my mom!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

northshore926

Decorate their door
Old 02-18-2020, 01:04 PM

I hang streamers from their bedroom door and make a sign that says Happy 4th Birthday ___!
It is simple but starts the day off right.
northshore926 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Special Memories
Old 02-18-2020, 03:19 PM

What about a birthday tee?

Or pillow case? That might be fun.

What about taking a photo of the child blowing out their candles each year and then add it to a collage they help you to create?

Create a log of their favorite present each year?

What about marking their height on a board each birthday and then date. Keep as a keepsake.

What about waking them with the happy birthday song or music on their special day each year?
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

And for all you grandmothers...
Old 02-18-2020, 03:29 PM

My mother in law lived in Puerto Rico, a long way from New Hampshire. She always managed to call the house when we were out at school and work, to sing Happy Birthday on the answering machine. I really miss hearing that Brooklyn accent!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Birthdays
Old 02-18-2020, 03:44 PM

I do something different every year to make them feel special. It changes as they get older.

My sister makes birthday pancakes for her kids. I really like that simple tradition.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-18-2020, 04:09 PM

We get to pick the dinner menu.

A family I know has a candy for breakfast tradition.

Another family has a birthday corner. They decorate a corner of their dining room and have a gift. It's the same happy birthday banner and streamer type things that they save and reuse. The gift gets opened before they start the day. It's a small gift--tshirt, stuffed animal, etc. and not their "real" gift.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-18-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Me too!!!

Like many others, my kids get to pick the menu on their actual birthday. I also let them make (if they want to) and decorate their cake. Which generally means a cake with a load of candy piled on top. They are not always the best tasting but my kids always love them, and when they were little they were always very proud of their creations.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-18-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I also let them make (if they want to) and decorate their cake.
I LOVE this idea! I would have loved doing this—and my kids would have, too.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 02-18-2020, 06:27 PM

We do some of the things above (special plate, dinner, etc.) but we also do a special birthday song. My grandmother put together a few birthday songs into a longer birthday song that we all still sing to all of our families for cake. It is easy and unique. You can find different songs online. I remember a Responsive Classroom conference that went through a bunch of them.
happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Amy L

Old 02-19-2020, 06:08 PM

Growing up, we had cakes shaped in the number of our age. Continued this with our kids. Also get to choose dinner- either home or a restaurant favourite.
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

birthday traditions
Old 02-19-2020, 11:37 PM

Growing up my mom hid a birthday card each day for the 5-7 days leading up to our birthdays. She'd write some sort of sweet/sappy message in some, but others might be from the cat or dog or whomever. Propped on a pillow, hidden in the fridge by the juice, under your dinner plate, etc. It was always fun to find and she'd always write "5 days left!" "4 days left!" I try to do that now with my kids, though I definitely forgot with my son who just turned 4. But he might not be old enough to care. I do do it with my almost 7 year old.

We have a birthday chair cover I got at the Dollar Tree a few years ago that we put over the birthday chair. It is dying and I want to get a sturdier one that will last. We hang a birthday sign above the table.

Birthday kid gets to pick their favorite breakfast and favorite dinner to have. They typically help me make and decorate their cake. We are far from family, but my mom always joins in singing Happy Birthday via Facetime.

Parties are variable and relatively lowkey. My 4 year old this year we didn't do a party but we spent a fun day at a mall that had a kidland arcade type place with games, bumper cars, little train, etc. He always wants to play there and I never am willing to pay the money. So we did that and then had chicken nuggets (his fav) and ice cream at Coldstone. Plus pizza and cake for dinner. Just our little family unit.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote