Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Positive news (trying again)

>

bGracie

Positive news (trying again)
Old 03-21-2020, 08:04 PM

My earlier positive news post was met negatively by a few, for some reason, so here's positive news that has been fact checked, if you're looking for hope.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...tion-id=241908

bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-21-2020, 08:19 PM

Thereís always some good news around.

Yesterday when we picked up groceries for my mom, the store manager was getting orders for supper from all the cashiers. He was buying them all supper from a small, local restaurant. I thought that was really nice.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 03-21-2020, 09:24 PM

bGracie, your link makes me....cautiously optimistic. I know things will get better worldwide, I just don't know when. I know people will heal, but others will not. This is such a time of uncertainty, but I have to keep the faith. Thanks for posting.

Here's my good news story....
I placed a take out order from our favorite Chinese place yesterday. I called it in, but had to step inside to pay and pick it up. The owner was there, and she told me I was only the third customer of the day (they'd been open about 6 hours). I told her I am so sorry, and hope her family business can pull through.
She invited me to have a cup of tea with her, so we sat at opposite ends of a BIG table and chatted. It was probably only about 10 minutes, but it meant the world to her and to me.

Other quick good family news:
My nephew and his partner finally picked a wedding date. Next September it's on!
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 03-22-2020, 03:36 AM

My good news story:

There was a restaurant in town that was scheduled to open right before this hit. I'm happy to say they did open and the wait for pick up is over two hours. In fact, our town facebook groups have been working with all the restaurants to create specials that people can order the night before. I am hearing it's been a huge success. I'm relieved our downtown is doing ok through this shut down.

Also, there is a tiny, amazing bakery that had to temporarily close. Before they closed, the owner opened a "Go Fund Me" for their handful of employees that wouldn't be getting paid. Our town managed to donate almost $15,000 that would all go to the baristas that worked there.
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 03-22-2020, 03:53 AM

My good news story, is not that I made it home from Florida because that was my own decision to go, but that I have four cats that are really happy to see me! I also seem to have picked up one more outdoor cat so that makes it up two! They haven’t yet realize that they’ve got me for two weeks straight .

CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 03-22-2020, 03:55 AM

I have been through some major hardships throughout the past four years.....I lost my nephew to a drowning and my own son fought a tumor. This is another major hardship. I found through the first two hardships...I had to seek hope and look for the positives every day.....to survive. I have taught my own students at school to be mindful....and seek out the good in each moment because many of them live in high poverty and have experienced trauma. In fact, the one thing I miss the most right now is when we had our daily closing circle in class and would share "something good that happened today and "what am I looking forward to tomorrow".

We are scared right now and things look pretty grim. But we have to remember there is still goodness and by acknowledging these good things we are helping our minds to survive and look forward to another day. I feel it is more important now to stay hopeful and positive. So today I am acknowledging these good things: A coworker had a beautiful, healthy baby girl. The sun is shining bright this morning after a long string of cloudy days. My cats are loving me being home. I am enjoying my family so much right now. I am learning how to be more "tech savvy" as I create videos for online teaching. In fact, my teenage senior spent last night videotaping me in front of a green screen he created and then we added a digital background.....so cool and such a great way to spend the evening together.

Stay hopeful and healthy everyone.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

The gratitude board
Old 03-22-2020, 04:05 AM

Donít forget that we have a daily gratitude board!
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

daffodils

my good news story
Old 03-22-2020, 04:06 AM

The small town I am from (though not living there now), has a Great Harvest Bakery. They were closing their doors except for over the phone bread orders. Someone anonymously donated $700 for them to make bread to give to the local food bank. The food bank desperately needed bread for its families. More and more people and some businesses have been donating and they are making large amounts of bread to then give to food banks. So it keeps the employees working, the store in business, and helps those who need food.

They've also had a lot of orders for people to pick up their own bread because grocery stores are low/out.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 03-22-2020, 05:19 AM

My mom came home from work this morning and said it was a good night in the ICU because they didn't get any new suspected covid admits.... and their current covid admits are doing cautiously well. (I don't ask questions, so don't ask me what that last statement means.)
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Good news
Old 03-22-2020, 06:11 AM

Singapore has had some new cases, but no deaths. They have been proactive and not reactive.
https://www.cnet.com/news/singapores...id19-epidemic/

OTOH-their citizens are very conforming to rules. They do not allow gum chewing in Singapore and NO ONE chews gum. If they control the use of gum, they can regulate the mandates to control the spread of the virus.

chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

freckleface

My good new story
Old 03-22-2020, 10:27 AM

I bought my car last March from a dealership in a town 10 miles from where I live. My DH is a farmer so we live way out in the country on gravel roads. The salesman who sold me my car, called me last week and said when I was ready to have the oil changed they would send someone out to get the car, take it to the dealership and service it, wipe it down, and bring it back for free! I asked him if that is the case even though we live in the country, he said yes!! I will be taking him up on that offer!!

Love where I live!
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 03-22-2020, 10:43 AM

There are so many kind people in the world!
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote