Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Refusing tests

>

NewCAteacher

Refusing tests
Old 03-26-2020, 09:14 AM

This is not a teaching vent. It is a COVID 19 vent.

I have a family member in her late 50ís who is VERY ill. All of the typical COVID symptoms. Went to the ER. They refused to test her, told her to come back IN A WEEK.

I have never been so angry in my entire life.

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

doolnut

Old 03-26-2020, 09:23 AM

My local hospital only has five test. There is still a restriction on who gets tested. The only ones who can be tested are those who knowingly been around someone who tested positive or have been out of the country. Iím in Missouri.
doolnut is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

What did they suggest to treat her symptoms?
Old 03-26-2020, 09:27 AM

What would they do differently if they confirmed it was/was not C19?
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 03-26-2020, 09:33 AM

Did they ask her to isolate or quarantine?

I am so sorry that your family member did not get tested. This virus has a way of turning dangerous on a dime.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 03-26-2020, 10:01 AM

I'm sorry. The test doesn't "treat" anything though, though I get wanting to know, and the seriousness of it. If she thinks she needs urgent care (no matter what the illness is) she should go back and/or go somewhere else, and call ahead first. Tests are extremely limited. They may not have wanted to refuse her, but have had no choice.

TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 03-26-2020, 11:00 AM

I am so very sorry to hear this. I can imagine how I'd feel if this was one of my loved ones. The lack of tests and other medical supplies is (in my opinion) heartbreaking.
You've gotten some good advice here.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-26-2020, 11:40 AM

I'm so sorry and hope your family is on the mend very soon.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Not testing
Old 03-26-2020, 11:55 AM

There are two problems with not testing. The first is that we are limited in controlling the spread if we don't actually know the spread. Her family, friends, coworkers, and neighbors deserve a definitive answer.
Second, although there's no treatment to cure, I think it's likely she'll get better treatment with the diagnosis. Just sending her home sends a message that could discourage her from going back if/when she really needs to.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 03-26-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
There are two problems with not testing. The first is that we are limited in controlling the spread if we don't actually know the spread. Her family, friends, coworkers, and neighbors deserve a definitive answer.

I agree; it is such a shame that we don't have adequate tests. Ideally, anyone with even a hint of symptoms should be able to get tested.

anna

Old 03-26-2020, 12:38 PM

There are countries that have slowed the spread considerably by testing and other social restrictions. https://www.propublica.org/article/h...erously-behind

Not testing thoroughly is gambling with human lives ,all of which are valuable. Pro-life right?

Last edited by anna; 03-26-2020 at 12:56 PM..
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 03-26-2020, 12:52 PM

sorry you are going through this. I don't think they have enough tests, so they are very limited on who they can test and must follow rules.

Did they not test for the flu to rule that out, or see if she needed an x-ray of her chest?
There is no treatment if she has it other than if she is having severe problems breathing and has to be placed on a machine.

Did they tell you to isolate and quarantine the family?

I hope your family member feels better soon.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 03-26-2020, 01:13 PM

They are only hospitalizing those with breathing issues. The big concern is not having enough beds.
My brother has it (didn't get a test, but his co-worker tested positive last week so once the symptoms started his doctor diagnosed it without testing). He is staying at home. Thankfully, it seems to be a mild case with no breathing issues.
My other brother's friend's father (who is 60+) is still at home even though it's not a mild case. He is in severe pain with body aches and too weak to get out of bed. But, thank G-d, he hasn't had breathing issues so he is also at home.
I know of others, and the only ones in the hospital are those in critical condition.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 03-26-2020, 01:42 PM

I'm so sorry. But unfortunately, until there is sufficient capacity to test people with severe symptoms and medical personnel, I think the ER made the correct decision. I hope that she called before going in because it is important that she not spread the virus. Were they able to give her any medication and/or treatment advice? I also have family members who are ill with what their doctors feel certain is COVIC-19, but they haven't been tested either.

It must be very difficult for you to see this happening and not be able to help.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Tests
Old 03-26-2020, 09:45 PM

Iíve been hearing a lot of that. These numbers they are giving us in the news are so different from reality.

Read a report from a physician that this virus causes permanent lung damage. Praying for a cure.
LoveMyNature is online now   Reply With Quote

daffodils

testing
Old 03-27-2020, 12:09 AM

The thing that bothers me the most is that the news makes a big deal about how many cases a country or state or city has. No one actually knows how many cases there are because there aren't enough tests. There really should be tracking of "number of confirmed cases with testing" and "number of suspected cases we couldn't test but people show symptoms"
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 03-27-2020, 04:12 AM

When I hear people say the hospital doesn't have any "tests" it confuses me. Here is how testing is done:
"The very first step is collecting a sample. Using a sterile soft plastic stick, health care workers swab the inside of a patientís nose or back of the throat. The goal is to collect material thatís recently been in the lungs, where the virus is believed to replicate. That stick then gets sealed up and shipped in a cold container to the testing lab. The sample has to stay between 35 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit, and if itís not processed within four days it either goes into a freezer or gets thrown out."

People can be swabbed and the swabs sent to a lab which is what has been done for COVID. Hospitals don't have tests. Doctor's offices don't have tests. The labs have the tests. The other places have the swabs.

Now, hospitals can be set up to have the tests, but there are other ways to get that sample tested.

So, is it medical people who don't know what to do or ways to defer patients who the medical professionals don't believe have the virus as a way to get them to back off.

teachnkids

Old 03-27-2020, 05:56 AM

What bothers me is those with money or social status, like an NBA player, politician are able to get tested, but regular folks they turn away.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 03-27-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
What bothers me is those with money or social status, like an NBA player, politician are able to get tested, but regular folks they turn away.

Exactly! I've heard several stories of "So and so was possibly exposed. They're not experiencing any symptoms, but they've been tested." For most "normal" people they're requiring extensive symptoms, AND a history of exposure and/or travel. Even then some can't get tested.