Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Monthly Packages for Grandson

>

Sam5

Monthly Packages for Grandson
Old 03-30-2020, 06:30 AM

My grandson will be born in May. This maybe my only grandchild. We currently don't live close to my son and daughter-in-law. I plan to send a grandma package each month to him. Hopefully at some point we will live close enough that these will be things we can do together. I would like to start from birth. I love books so I plan to send a book each month, a letter or card, and something else that relates to the book. As the child gets older, I plan to send things related to his interests, games, activities, gift cards for experiences, stuff from where we travel, etc... For example, a book about plants and the things he needs to grow a simple plant. I have enough money to send whatever,but I want it to be about the experience. I can also crochet so I could also make some puppets and things later on. However, this first year is tougher so I thought I would send a simple toy age appropriate toy to go with the book.

Some ideas I have:
BABYCHINO Foot Finders & Wrist Rattles for Infants Developmental Texture Toys for Babies & Infant Toy Socks & Baby Wrist Rattle and simple bug book

Rainbow Fish book- textured fish toy

John Deere Tractor board book (my husband was a farmer)- John Deere tractor teething keys

Anyone have other ideas??? Thanks for all your help!

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-30-2020, 06:39 AM

If there's a chance you might have more grandchildren eventually...you may want to send things a bit less frequently. It can really add up. I started that with my first grandson, but within a few short years there were two more.

I ended up getting them magazine subscriptions, and then sending something else every 3 months or so. Add in holidays, and that is still a lot of packages! They are surprisingly expensive.

It may be cheaper to send directly from Amazon or wherever else you order from and sending cards, etc under separate cover.

There are also a lot of great subscription kits. Jai gets Lovevery kits that come every 2-3 months; Noah (age 14) gets Kiwi kits.

Subscriptions may be more sustainable in the long run, since you can still supplement as the spirit moves you.

Books are excellent. Every baby should have a big library! There are probably subscription plans for good books, too...my kids had one, but that was many years ago.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

One of
Old 03-30-2020, 06:41 AM

those nice soft touchy feely blankets. They are small, soft and have different
textures around the edges but very soft in the middle.

A smaller stuffy.

Maybe a gift card for mom and dad to go out to eat.
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-30-2020, 06:42 AM

For the first year perhaps a musical collection of some kind that the parents can sing to and interact with the baby?
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsP0405

Old 03-30-2020, 07:06 AM

The Karen Katz lift a flap books were popular with all three of my kids. My four year old still enjoys them. She makes on for each season and many holidays. I often gift the four seasons as baby gifts to friends and family.

MrsP0405 is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

books
Old 03-30-2020, 07:15 AM

I agree with Karen Katz books! And Sandra Boynton was (is) a favorite of ours.

My daughter got the book Tickle Monster and then the supplemental tickle gloves and loved it
https://smile.amazon.com/Tickle-Mons...s%2C350&sr=8-3

https://smile.amazon.com/Tickle-Mons...s%2C350&sr=8-4
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

Quack!

Baby books
Old 03-30-2020, 07:21 AM

Look at sending some of the Indestructible brand books for his first year. They can be chewed on and even washed in the washing machine. I've been wanting to order one for my nephew who likes to put things in his mouth.

https://www.workman.com/brands/indestructibles
Quack! is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-30-2020, 07:25 AM

Im with lisa in thinking that once a month will be expensive and become a chore.

I only have 1 DGS and hes almost 2. I send things whenever the mood strikes. I told his parents shortly after his birth that I know theyll do a lot for holidays and that Im the in-between person. I opened a savings account in DGSs name and add $100 when I feel like it. Sometimes I send cards with a crisp $10 bill (the Easter card will be ready todayits a furry-feely egg I know hell love). I had a personalized ABC book made by Wonderbly and they ALL love it (the kid even looks like DGS).

Sometimes I send the parents a big check for diapers. Mostly I send clothes. In fact, I pretty much dress him. I love this role. I ask his parents to tell me what he needs and what size, then I have fun at Carters/Oshkosh (every kid needs Oshkosh denim overalls). These color-changing trunks and swim shirt are on the delivery route now (and because his mommy told me he likes sharks, the order includes 2 sets of shark jammies and a fabulous shark hat). I love being grandma with surprises.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

As a new mom
Old 03-30-2020, 08:30 AM

I would really love and appreciate such thoughtful gifts.

Some of our favorites have been:
-clothes (in the next size up)
-books
-developmental toys (Ex: the soft cloth book that has zippers, Velcro, snaps, etc)

We really dont need more stuff. My son has toys but lately hes more into playing with my plastic containers and empty 1 liter seltzer bottles I like the idea of experience gifts. Membership to a zoo, aquarium, beach badges in the summer, etc. Honestly, any gift is thoughtful.

Amiga: the gift of random diaper money is so sweet!!
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 03-30-2020, 08:57 AM

My mom sends the twins packages every month because there is a Holiday every month.

The kids usually get:
1 outfit
1 book
a small activity- stickers, chalk, etc.

I suggest since you are starting at birth, things that mom may need- pacis, burp clothes, holiday bibs, simple onesies, etc.

techgrad is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Gift Ideas
Old 03-30-2020, 09:20 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Bear-Wh.../dp/0805047905

Send with a stuffed teddy bear.

https://www.amazon.com/Pat-Bunny-Del...5588917&sr=8-4

Do you celebrate Easter? This book is perfect for the month of Easter. Send an Easter stuffed bunny to go with this sweet classic book.

https://www.amazon.com/Goodnight-Moo...5591083&sr=8-1

I would send a baby comb and brush with the Good Night Moon book.

https://www.amazon.com/Were-Going-Cl...s%2C223&sr=8-2

How about a bear suit to go with the bear hunt? Adorable!
https://www.amazon.com/ALLTB-Newborn...591486&sr=8-10

Or make a safari suit?

https://www.amazon.com/SeClovers-Tux...5591583&sr=8-2

One month you might want to write him a love letter and tell him all the reasons you love him so much. You could frame it to go on the wall.

You might start writing a journal now to share all your memories of your son when he was little. This will be treasured for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Day-You-Were-Born/dp/015205944X

You might save a newspaper from the day he is born. Then record for him the things you did the day he was born and how you were feeling.

Last edited by 1956BD; 03-30-2020 at 10:24 AM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 03-30-2020, 09:34 AM

That is very thoughtful! I have a 3 year old gd. Ds and his family live out of state. I send things as needed and when I see something she will like. She is the first girl in our family, so I send a lot of clothes because I like shopping for girls clothes. I send a book for many holidays. I ask ds what I should get because I want the items to be used. I usually send the most items for new seasons such as bathing suits, sandals, coats snd so on.
I sent the book Grandma Loves You by Helen Foster James the week before she was due with a handwritten note on the inside cover from me. I’m hoping she will treasure it always.
Congratulations Grandma!
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 03-30-2020, 01:58 PM

Aside from the money, I could see a monthly package becoming a huge pressure, thinking of ideas, purchasing, being careful about no repeats, post office trips on a regular basis.
However, if you do want to send something on a regular basis, I agree that one of those subscription boxes sounds like a good idea. There is such a variety, that you could change it up every so often, whether books, toys, activity kits, clothing, etc.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 03-31-2020, 11:35 AM

Thanks everyone! You gave me some great ideas!
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote