Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Magazine subscription scam?

>

sonoma

Magazine subscription scam?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:09 PM

I received a magazine in the mail today that I didnít subscribe to. It has my name and address on the label. How do I cancel it without giving out personal information? I have an uncomfortable feeling about it.

sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Just wondering...
Old 01-25-2020, 07:54 PM

Did another magazine you subscribed to go out of business? Magazines substitute another magazine for the one that is gone. To cancel, is there a website you could contact for that magazine? Or a phone number to find out why you are getting it?
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 01-25-2020, 08:25 PM

Itís happened to my husband a lot lately. Heís been receiving 3 diff magazines he never subscribed to, canít figure it out. Iím not sure what to do either
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

magazines
Old 01-26-2020, 12:18 AM

I agree it could be a magazine going out of business. I've also received a subscription to a magazine when I returned my warranty card for an appliance--it's been a bit but I think it was something like Better Homes and Garden when I sent in my blender warranty or some such. Or maybe a friend sent a subscription? Sometimes there are deals to give a friend a free subscription with your own renewal.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 01-26-2020, 03:46 AM

I'd be tempted to just wait it out until you get a bill then deal with them letting them know you never subscribed.

Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 01-26-2020, 03:47 AM

I got a free subscription to another magazine when I renewed a magazine that I have been getting for many years. Could that be it?
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

The lady I take care of gets free magazines
Old 01-26-2020, 05:03 AM

on a regular basis. Did call once and they said it was just free. One of them has been coming for a couple of years. She just enjoys it; never received a bill.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 01-26-2020, 05:04 AM

I had this happen a few years ago. At one point I had five magazines coming that I had never subscribed to. All but one came for a year and one of them came for two years. I was never billed or sent an invoice for them.
Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 01-26-2020, 05:51 AM

Iíve had this experience, too. It is a sales ploy to get you to subscribe. You arenít paying for anything.

Yet, like you, I was a concerned about this and thought it might be a scam so I called the magazine to cancel. They gave me the name of the company who subscribed "for" me. I contacted that company, too.

The magazines I received were junk and sent directly to the recycle bin.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 01-26-2020, 06:30 AM

Years ago (think late 90's) when my mom and stepfather started dating, his ex-girlfriend was absolutely furious and jealous. She actually subscribed to a bunch of magazines using my mother's name and address. My mom had to call all of the magazine companies and cancel them. It was a very strange way to get revenge, although she also did some other crazy stuff, like sending my mom flowers and candy repeatedly at work.

Ever since then, I have always been nervous when an unexpected magazine appears!

JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 01-26-2020, 07:07 AM

I got Redbook for years and then suddenly Good Housekeeping started coming, too. It turns out that Redbook was going out of business and they were trying to get me to take Good Housekeeping. Well, I didnít subscribe but Iím still getting Good housekeeping for free.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Pinemeadow

My experience
Old 01-26-2020, 08:28 AM

Family Circle recently ceased publication. They sent a notice telling me that I will be receiving, I think, Real Simple, for the balance of my subscription. Also, when I renewed Better Homes and Gardens, they offered 2 free subscriptions for friends. Also, at one point, Better Homes and Gardens started sending Martha Stewart Magazine for free with my subscription. I didn't receive any bill, it was just included free. One of these scenarios could be happening to you, too. I think the more subscribers the magazines have, the more they can charge for advertising and that's where they make their real money, not on subscriptions anymore.
Pinemeadow is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

magazine
Old 01-26-2020, 09:53 AM

I receive several different glossy "luxury" magazines that I never subscribed to. They have my name and address on it. Even though some of the magazines show a price of $10+ on the cover, I know that most households in my part of town get them in the mail for free. With names like Ranch & Coast, and Discover(+name of my town), they are heavy on ads (real estate, luxury boutiques, restaurants, plastic surgeons) and photos of socialites at high-end fundraising galas, but very light on actual content. I think they get my name from public records or tax assessor records.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Magazine
Old 01-26-2020, 04:17 PM

We had a crazy neighbor who used to subscribe to lots of magazines for the neighbors he was currently upset with. We got on his s*it list once. Several magazines came - we just wrote "cancel" on the bill and sent it back. No big deal.
We didn't come up with that idea. One of the other neighbors that had received magazines that way in the past told us what to do. He had gone so far as to contact the postmaster thinking maybe we could stop this neighbor with some kind of mail fraud. No such luck.
Crazy neighbor eventually moved. Maybe he lives next door to you?
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 01-26-2020, 04:50 PM

I just got a "Women's Health" magazine last week that I did not subscribe to. It turns out it was a free year subscription because I renewed my AARP membership.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote