Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Idea for Facetiming Grandkids

>

SeaGlass

Idea for Facetiming Grandkids
Old 03-30-2020, 06:29 AM

So, I have 2 grandkids.....4 and 6. They love to Facetime but it only lasts about 3 minutes and they really don't have much to say. They love to put their eyeballs or noses up to the phone and then ask if I can see it.

So the other day I decided to look up a couple easy fun jokes on the internet. I call them now once a day and tell them 2 jokes. They laugh hysterically and think Memere is a hoot!

Just thought I would pass this on in case there are other grandparents trying to figure out what to do on FT with their little grandkids.

SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-30-2020, 06:37 AM

Cute idea I just had a google chat with dd and dgd this weekend. DGD seemed to love the chat for a bit but then wandered off saying "I'm busy" when dd asked her where she was going
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

lakey

Old 03-30-2020, 06:55 AM

I usually read my 4 and a half year old a story book when we skype. It usually holds her attention and we have some good discussions about the book too! I have lots of kids books I kept when I retired. I also was going to the library for books before our current situation.
lakey is online now   Reply With Quote

daffodils

fun!
Old 03-30-2020, 07:18 AM

We live far from grandparents and Facetime with both sides 1-3x a week. My kids (almost 7 and 4) LOVE having their grandparents read to them. One Gramma read for an hour last night.

Their other favorite thing, especially my 4 year old's, is to play Lego over Facetime. Both Grammas have Lego (I mailed my mom some so she'd have some of her own) and they build over FT, show sets, compare sets, and my son will direct them what to do. Seriously, he can sit and watch them play Lego for an hour.

We'll also prop up the iPad by the piano and DD6 plays for them. But the two major things are listening to books and playing Lego. When they were younger, they played cars or had tea parties or did Barbies over FT.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

NoMorePencils

Old 03-30-2020, 09:11 AM

This app is great! You can do activities together or read stories. I have several friends using it with their grandkids and they are loving it. https://caribu.com

NoMorePencils is offline   Reply With Quote