Kindergarten

What am I doing wrong?

>

cantgetright

cantgetright

What am I doing wrong?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have about six students that do not recognize any letters. I do phonics and so far we have discussed three letters and their sounds. After three weeks, these students still can't recognize them.

What am I doing wrong?

Here is what I have done each week with each letter we have discussed...
Phonics - this is with the whole class
These other activities are usually small group...
I have a beach ball with the letters that we play games with
ABC songs kinesthetic
Practice tracing the letter
Color and cut out the letter
Make the letter in play dough
Paint the letter
Find the letter in the newspaper
Starfall.com technology
Leap frog letters
ABC puzzles

Do you have any suggestions to help these students recognize the letters and sounds?
Thanks!

pianowoman41

You are doing a wonderful job! All students
Old 08-26-2011, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

learn at a different rate, and connections are made at different rates. If they have not had exposure to letters or thinking about symbols and how they relate to sounds and objects, it will take time. I have seen students take 9-12 weeks to grasp the concept of a letter symbol relating to its sound. Just continue to practice each and every day. Make sure you have a repetitive practice in place using an alphabet chart, tracing the letter while saying its name and sound. This exposure, repetition each day is key. Jan Richardson's book suggests the previous chart or letter tracing activity. It is not uncommon for it to take well into the first half of the year before students remember letters.
pianowoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

liamsmommy621

Old 08-26-2011, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you teaching a letter a week? Unfortunately, research shows that that method is not best practice. The best thing you can do is immerse your students in all letters through a balanced literacy approach. Fountas & Pinnell's Kindergarten Phonics book is a great resource for teaching the alphabetic principle, as well as other components of literacy.

Add in letter sorts to teach students about the shapes of letters, and do a LOT of work with your students' names.

I hope I've helped a little bit. )
liamsmommy621 is offline   Reply With Quote

merci

Old 08-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I once heard teaching the alphabet compared to giving kids pieces of a puzzle. When they only have a few pieces, they don't mean much to them yet and they don't grasp them, but when they have more of the pieces, they begin to see the big picture and start to get what each piece is.

I'm not sure how helpful that is, but I've remembered it for a long time now. For me, that means that even though I sometimes focus on one letter at a time, I am using teaching all of the letters as a whole and individual letters in context (as part of a word or poem). I see that you are using ABC songs, which should be helping. These kids probably need time, which is frustrating.
merci is offline   Reply With Quote

kindygirl

play the name game
Old 08-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i totally agree with liamsmommy. another idea that might help is doing lots of activities with kids names. it gives them something that they really understand to reference letters. we play a name game every day with a new child's name and it takes about a month. usually by the end of the month most of the kids have mastered 90% of the letters. here is what we do:
every day we look at a new child's name.
1. i have their name on a sentence strip and put it in the pocket chart.
2. Then i write it again in front of the class on another sentence strip and we say the letters out loud as i write it.
3. then i cut it apart and we count the letters as i cut.
4. then the child comes up and uses the cut apart letters to put it back together and we tell him what letter comes next as he works.
5. then we chant the child's name like this: Give me a B. "B!" Give me a e. "E!" Give me an n. "N!" What's that spell? BEN!
6. After that sometimes we will compare two or three kids names in the pocket chart. We will talk about how many letters are in their names, do they have any of the same letters, etc.
7. Then we go back to our seats and we all practice writing that child's name on our wipe off boards. I write it in the front of the room a letter at a time and kids follow along with me. I tell them the name of each letter as we write it and we talk about how we make it. For instance in the name Ben: B = make a big line down and then two small curves. As we are writing i will remind them of other letters that we have written in other kids names. Ex: remember when we wrote Bobby's name? it had a B in it too. Or remember Emily had an e in her name but hers was a capital and Ben's is a lower case e.

We do this every day with a new name each day. it is very effective.

kindygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Nothing! Some kids need more time/exposure than others. I would also suggest as a previous poster did, teaching letters/sounds through your students' names...it's what is most meaningful to them...gives them an immediate context to connect meaning, especially for ELL students.

I would also suggest Study Dog (cds about $45+shipping), but well worth it. Heidi songs, and....WRITING....there is a definite connection and doing both helps both...children need to read to write and write to read. Kidwriting is still the most effective, though I've incorporated elements from Randee Bergen's book and Talking, Drawing, Writing, Lucy Calkins, etc.
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

kdeb

Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Kindygirl for the name activities. Does anyone have others to add to these?

I also put each of the cut apart names into an envelope with the child's name written on the front and a picture for the students reconstruct and write in a center.

Any others?
kdeb is offline   Reply With Quote

kindygirl

more name ideas
Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

1. i put cut apart names in those little plastic pencil boxes that slide out and tape their photo to the front of the box. these go at the abc station for the kids to work with in a pocket chart.
2. each child also gets to make a "name bottle" after it is their special name game day. i use the baby soda bottles from steve spangler science dot com. we use little alphabet beads. they put the letter for their name in the bottle and then we sprinkle a little glitter and fill with water. i have a large laminated paper with all the kids photos and names written on it taped to the table. they tip the bottles around to try to figure out whose name is in the bottle and match it to the photo.
3. we do lots of activites with their own names as well as table activities:
rainbow names, paint their name, dauber dot names, playdough names, chalk names.......just tons of practice writing their own name over and over!
kindygirl is offline   Reply With Quote