Help

Kindergarten

Stupid Recess vent

>

heatherk

Stupid Recess vent
Old 08-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Maybe this should be on the vent board, but no one understands K problems like other K teachers.
For the first year ever, my new P scheduled our recess time. We are two sessions of half day K, we have our own K playground, so we always went out when it made sense for us. I knew she might want to schedule it and I was ready for that change, but it is just stupid. Three things I don't like:
1. Recess is the last 20 minutes of the day. The point of recess is to give kids a break. I always did it right in the middle of the day between writers workshop and guided reading. Our brains were fried from writing, so we went to recess and came back fresh for guided reading and centers.
2. This is the one time of day I don't have my assistant. We have no planning periods or breaks and now I can't even have her take them out. This will be especially problematic because I use this time sometimes to pull kids for individual assessments.
3. I have resource Tuesday and Wednesday for the last half hour of the day, so my kids don't get recess 2 days a week. I asked if I could go out another time and was told no. I am the only teacher with resources at the end of the day, so my class is the only class that misses out.
I am sure that I will get over it, but right now it really makes me grumpy.

heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote

phoenixsmom

Old 08-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used to take a basket outside with assessment materials when I taught K. The kids never seemed to mind if I assessed them for a minute or two on the playground. I did basic things like letter names or sounds, something that could be answered quickly.
phoenixsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

merci

The last 20 minutes!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is just plain crazy. I'm sorry for you, and I hope that somehow it changes. It would be interesting to know why on earth your principal chose that time.
merci is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

Talk to her...make her see the importance of
Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

your many good points. Especially if she is not using other duty people to help you that have to be on upper playground. She won't understand spontaneously!! Even help her work out a situation if she has underlying issues you aren't aware of. It's about the kids. When are Ps gonna get this through their heads! Don't you wish Ps actually read stuff here on PP?
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 08-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

IMO, all of your points are valid. Have you tried talking to your principal?

I can't stand it when resource (special) classes take away their recess. Could you at least go out earlier those two days?

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

heatherk

Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks all.
I had several other bigger fish to fry with my P, so I decided to live with this for now and address more important issues. My grade level is going to "try" this for the first few weeks, so we can tell her why/how it isn't working. I think she might be flexible. She didn't seem to realize that K has their own playground, so scheduling us around the other grades isn't needed. We don't play when they play.
I asked about going out earlier on resource days. I was told no, but again, I think she might be willing to budge after a couple weeks.
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote