Help

Units of Study

One Piece or Several????

>

KYoung

One Piece or Several????
Old 10-13-2012, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do your students work on one piece of writing and keep working on that one piece of writing, or do you have them choose a new seed idea each time you teach a mini-lesson? I am confused whether or not the students are suppose to choose one seed idea and just stay with it, or work on many stories and then at the end choose one to re-do and publish. HELP!

KYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

merci

Depends, i think...
Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In the primary grades, students write many stories. Sometimes more than one in a day and sometimes it may take a few days to complete a story, but their stories and what they write should never be considered dependent upon the mini-lesson. Kids will always be at different places and different times in their writing. Your mini-lesson may or may not apply on the day you teach it, but they may need to use what you taught the next day. It just depends on what they are doing. The only exception to this for me is as publish and I will want kids to all accomplish a specific task in one day, but once they have finished that task, they are free to work on a different piece.

I hope that makes sense. If not, feel free to ask another question.

If you are speaking about upper grades, I really don't know.
merci is offline   Reply With Quote

Zeppelin

Uos
Old 08-02-2013, 01:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am pretty much onboard with Merci. I have colored coded the UOS booklets they write in. Narrative is one color, opinion another, realistic fiction another, etc. We all begin the new unit together but they can switch to different genres, too. The booklets are 3 pages, double sided with the color page the title page. I have them take a small moment from their booklet, tell the story across their fingers to writing partner, then write one sentence per page. As time progresses, they go back and add second, third, etc. sentence to each page. When they publish, they have 5 paragraphs. I was new to LC this past year and used the primary UOS - too easy and already done with first grade teachers and now eagerly await our 2 copies to share between 6 of us. Did find many useful ideas online last year and some LC UOS for second grade. Looking forward to this year. But I think we will just be focusing on the CCSS for writing using LC as a model. We also used our anthology story authors as our author mentors. Worked great. Did not have to reinvent the wheel so to speak.
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote

llsibley

Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I started teaching minilessons with the new UofS by Lucy this year. My students were writing several pieces but they weren't applying anything I was modeling. They were writing almost nothing. I finally had to take a step back and slow down the process. We are currently doing small moments but we are all doing an "Ouch Story". I have introduced a narrative plan sheet I found on Tpt. The second day they added transition words, 1 place with dialogue and some additional setting details. The next step will be to start their rough draft. We will all draft. When we finish the rough drafts, I will teach revision steps and then editing. We will publish at the end. Once we get going, this should all be able to be completed in a week. So... in a 6 week unit, they should be able to have 6 completed small moment stories and they will have practiced revising and editing as well.
Writing many stories without going through the whole process just seems to make them not care about any of it.
llsibley is offline   Reply With Quote