Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Ingrown toenail - tmi?

>

PEPteach

Ingrown toenail - tmi?
Old 09-28-2014, 03:12 PM

This weekend I realized I have an ingrown toenail. The problem is I leave for a beach vacation in less than 2 weeks. I'm going to call tomorrow and see when I can get in, but I'm worried that I won't be able to go in the water! (And I want pretty toes for my vacay, but I realize that sounds pretty vain ) Does anyone know how long it takes to heal or what the restrictions are? I don't think it is a really bad one. It doesn't look too ugly...it's more painful.

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-28-2014, 04:18 PM

If its your first one on that toe and not too bad they will probably just remove the ingrown part! No one will know and its not actual surgery if they do that. Good luck!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

ingrown toe nail
Old 09-28-2014, 04:30 PM

I had one year's ago. It was badly infected so they cut off half my nail. It hurt for the first 48 hours but was not painful after that. It didn't look pretty either.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 09-28-2014, 05:36 PM

My ds had one a few years ago. The doctor did nothing and told us to soak it in warm water with epson salt in the morning and evening. This would cause the ingrown toenail to heal. We did it for a month and it was fine. It may be worth a shot.
mommy9298 is online now   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 09-28-2014, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the advice! It's looking worse now, so I think I'll call in the morning and see what they say. I'd love for it to go away on its own, but I don't see how it can without some sort of cutting going on. I just hope they don't have to remove much of it.

Zephie

I get them frequently
Old 09-28-2014, 06:49 PM

Due to the shape of my foot I get ingrown toenails at least 4 or 5 times a year. My doctor says there really isn't anything I can do about it other than keep my toenails trimmed flat across. But I have had less of them since I switched to men's tennis shoes instead of women's. I really do need a wider toe box than most people do.

Very rarely do I ever need to go in for the ingrown toenails. I've only had to take antibiotics once with my very first one. My doc has me soak my feet in as hot of water as I can stand with half a cup of epsom salts for 20-30 minutes and then pull the skin back away from the nail right after twice a day. At some point the infection pocket will "pop" (gross description, but that's the best description I can give) and it will be fine within 4 or 5 days. I've never had to have the nail cut out since I now do the espom salt baths as soon as I have a twinge of pain.

I have also been advised to keep nail polish on my feet to a minimum and only get pedicures every 2 months.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Zephie
Old 09-28-2014, 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the info. I will have to go get some epsom salts tomorrow. Not to be gross, but the corner of my nail is basically embedded in my skin. How will it come out if it isn't cut out? I believe my infection pocket has "popped" thanks to some warm water soaking. Perhaps things will be better tomorrow? I also read lavender essential oil could help, so I put some of that on, too.

Zephie

Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 AM

I know what you mean by it being embedded. A lot of times for me the little piece that got embedded will break off on its own or te nail will grow out far enough that it's no longer embedded.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

critter

ingrown nail
Old 09-29-2014, 05:32 AM

My DD has one right now. It was looking bad, but we did the whole soaking in warm salty water thing and it's almost well. Hers was swollen and had infection, but it drained on its own after soaking. I also put some Neosporin on it. You can't even tell it's a problem, and she said it's not near as sore now.

Hope you feel better!
critter is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 AM

I haven't had one get infected to the point of "popping," but when I got an ingrown toenail, my doctor said to cut the little embedded part off and keep a tiny bit of cotton stuffed under my toenail enough to lift it above the skin until it grew out enough again. And, as PP's said, soften the skin.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote