Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Should I get rid of my cubbies?

>

Ms. Purple

Should I get rid of my cubbies?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to use tables next year, instead of desks, for the first time. I think I have it worked out to where the kids will store their books and notebooks by table at various locations in the room. My question is, do the students need to have their own cubbies? I have a large piece of furniture that has these cubbies/pull-out drawers. However, I would like to move it out because it takes up a lot of room. I'm just uncertain about it because I'm wondering if kids need to have their own "space" that is just theirs in the classroom. ?? Do they need to feel like they have a spot in the room that is "theirs"??

BTW...I have some chair pockets (seat sacks or whatever you call them) that the kids will store their folders and library books in and caddies for community supplies.

Ms. Purple is offline   Reply With Quote

merci

Old 07-18-2011, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I first got tables, I thought the kids would need a cubby, but we never used them. All of their things were in their chair pockets. We had community supplies and all their books, writing folders, etc. were together in bins or on shelves. The cubbies were just taking up space.
merci is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I wouldn't
Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but that is just me...Cubbies with drawers are very nice and I know at my school, I would never get them back once given up.

If you don't want them for student use, I would repurpose them as storage for manipulatives, word work/take it to your seat centers, library shelving for chapter books, storage for art/crafts or even office supplies...

Again, though--that's just me...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

gabbie giggle

Cubbies
Old 07-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree, at my school I would never get them back. I would try it both ways and then decide.
gabbie giggle is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

I'm all for extra space...
Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I store my students' books on bookshelves and they were perfectly happy to go get their math, spelling or whatever book when the time came. Pencil boxes typically stack up pretty nice in window sills or on shelves as well. So my vote is to throw out the cubbies and put something more useful in the spot!

PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

luvbees

Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Could you "lend" the cubbies to someone with the understanding that they'll be returned if you find that you still need them?
luvbees is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Purple

Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the feedback. From what most of you are saying, it sounds like students don't really "need" to have their own space in the form of a cubby. So I think I will hang on to the cubbies for now, but use them in a different way. At my school we don't have any built-in counters or cabinets. So I may designate a row of cubbies for each table group and have labels such as "math workbooks," "writer's notebooks," etc. Otherwise I'm not sure where I would store the supply bins for each table.... if that makes sense.
Ms. Purple is offline   Reply With Quote

jteach

I think you should give up the cubbies
Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

AND SEND THEM TO ME!!!!

I love my cubbies and wish I had more.
jteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ggg123

Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use stacking trays for my students take home folders. I have them inside a bookcase. I have had cubbies in the past and they seem to be a waste of space. But, they make good room dividers and if you could turn them in their sides, they would be awesome bookshelves!
ggg123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes, keep the cubbies. I have cubbies and tables. They keep their lunches and personal things in the cubbies. It's important that they have a place for those things.

Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Starfish3

Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would definitely keep the cubbies. Last year I used them for the kids' lunches, so when it was time for lunch or snack it was easy for them to just grab what they needed, instead of rummaging through their backpack, knocking others' coats and backpacks off the hooks. You could also use them to store extra school supplies, workbooks, centres, etc.
Starfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote