Help

Kindergarten

Do you have snack time?

>

luckytoteach

Do you have snack time?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We eat lunch at 11:05 and dismiss at 2:40 (1:50 on Wednesdays). Our kindergarten doesn't have a snack time and honestly I think they can go 3 1/2 hours(2 1/2 hours on Wed.) without eating. Every year I always have a few parents question me about it but it doesn't become an issue. This year I spoke to one parent about it and then found out she went to the princ. to complain. My princ. isn't asking me to make any changes but wants me to address it again in a letter to the parents. We honestly don't have the time to have a snack unless I cut something out of the schedule. If they eat most of their lunch then it shouldn't be a problem. I've only had a few kids complain that they are hungry in the morning about an hour before lunch but never in the afternoon.

luckytoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

merci

We Don't
Old 09-01-2011, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our lunch is at 11:15, and it hasn't been a problem. When we used to have snack, they didn't eat their lunch. Our custodian doesn't clean the classrooms very well, so we try not to have snacks partially to avoid the mess. For us, lunch at 11:15 seems to work.
merci is offline   Reply With Quote

KTeach_IN

Old 09-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We eat lunch at 10:45 (brunch as I call it). I allow my kids to bring a snack to eat during our developmental center time. They eat the snack if they have it and then go to their center. Most kids only take a few minutes to eat their snack because they want to go and play at their center. I don't set aside a certain amount of time each day for snacks, it is during center time.
KTeach_IN is offline   Reply With Quote

pinky_teacher

Used to...
Old 09-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At my old school, we used to have a mandatory snack in the morning about 10 and then lunch at 12. At my school this year, we don't have a mandatory snack at all. My lunch is at 10:30 and all the children are gone by 2:30. Some of them say they are hungry about 1:30, but in an hour they will be home so I guess it's not a big deal. I do have a few that bring in snack sometimes so I just let them eat it about 2.
pinky_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bbhalphen

Early Lunch
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We go to lunch at 10:35 (I also call it brunch!) We had snack in the afternoons up until this year. There used to be a rule about it in our state, I believe, but now it's only for Pre-K. Most of the kids buy snacks at recess and barely were eating the snack we gave them (it was provided by the cafeteria and was mostly vanilla wafers or canned peaches every day.)

bbhalphen is offline   Reply With Quote

cluttermind

We do
Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our morning goes from 8:40 - 11:30. We do snack at 10 for about 20 minutes. The afternoon goes from 12:15 - 3:05 and we have an afternoon drink break. We usually stop for about 5 minutes and the kids continue with their work/activity while having their drink next to them. It's a full day kdg. In our district, kids in grades K-2 get morning snack time.
cluttermind is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinTX

Old 09-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our lunch is at 10:30 and we dismiss at 3:08. We allow kids to bring snacks to eat when we are outside at recess at 1:00.
teachinTX is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

No Snack
Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have a full-day program-from 9:10-3:40. Our lunch is 11:35AM. We don't have a snack time. Some of the students who ride buses don't get home until almost 4:30PM. They are starving by the time they get home. It takes about 4-6 weeks for students to adjust to this schedule after being home during the summer and being able to eat when they are hungry.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 09-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We are a late start school (9:20) and our lunch is at 12:00 noon, so I don't do snack anymore---I used to and then children wouldn't eat their lunch, now they eat all their lunch. I do offer an afternoon snack and think they really need an afternoon snack...they are tired and need that pick-me-up to last the rest of the afternoon in good spirits. I have a few parents who worry about it, but the kids adjust quickly and don't seem to miss morning snack at all. I tell parents to make sure they eat a good breakfast and give them a snack just before school if it is an issue for them.
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovegrade1

They snack , you read to them
Old 09-02-2011, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This is how a solved the problem when I had a half day program and felt time pressed. They all got their snacks out, sat at the tables, got into a position so they could see and quietly ate while I did a read aloud to them. I liked it so much I still do it this way even after switching to full day k where I do not have the time concern.

lovegrade1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

snack
Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It's not the time between lunch and dismissal that has the most potential to be the hungry time. It's the time between their breakfast and lunch. Our kids that get on the bus well before 8am likely ate before 7:30, maybe even 7 if they're from the rural area. It's a long wait for lunch for them, especially since many young ones are not that hungry when they first wake up, and eat a very small breakfast. They get pretty hungry later though! So we build in a few minutes for snack first thing when they come in, and again at 10:30 just before recess. They don't seem to need the snack as much at the afternoon recess, but they are welcome to eat it if they brought one. I know I myself feel the need of an energy boost at mid morning.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

k-tchr

We do have snack
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

School wide we have milk break through at least 2nd grade. We live in a rural area and most of the kids ride the bus. Some get on the bus by 7:00. Some come without breakfast also. We start school at 8:15 and my milk break is 9:00 with lunch at 11:30. We have kids bring in snacks to share (crackers, cereal, etc.) and all must be peanut free due to allergies. Most allergy kids bring in their own snack. This year, we are having snack in our room so I can read stories to them during milk break.
k-tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

primaryteach

We do but I wish we didn't
Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We start at 9:05 and dismiss at 4:00. Our lunch is at 11:30. We have a snack in the afternoon at about 2:00. The only thing that bugs me is we have to provide snack is donations don't cover it- and that can add up. Hopefully donations will be plentiful this year!
primaryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mushell829

Old 09-03-2011, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We do have snack time about 2:20 which i think is silly since they start leaving on buses at 2:45. I am new to Kinder so I am going with the flow. My question is the former kinder teaccher said she had kids bring their own snacks because of allergies. The other current kinder teacher provides everyone with snack(sent in by parents) so they all have the same. She says this is the best way since some children mightnot bring snack. I honestly do not want to have to pour 29 cups of juice everyday with no aide. Plus I know I have a child with peanut allergies this year. Any advice or opinions.
mushell829 is offline   Reply With Quote

usechalk

Old 09-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Lunch is at 11:00. I allow them to have snack, but we are always doing something else as well. Usually I will read to them or we will go over spelling words. I alot 5 minutes and 5 minutes only. If you dont eat it by then it goes away no matter what. I am very strict on this point, and after a week or two it is not a problem.
usechalk is offline   Reply With Quote

canIplease

Yes I do a snack.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We start at 8 and end at 3 and most of our kids are free and reduced. K eats at 10:30 we have a snack right after recess at 1:45. For some the only food they get is at school so I think it is important to give them this. I was doing juice or kool-aid but we are switching to water bottles much less mess. I provide goldfish, graham crackers, fruit snacks, or vanilla wafers. Some parents do send in a small donation every week to help. Instead of United Way I help my class.
canIplease is offline   Reply With Quote

joby560

Old 09-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

One option might be to let kids have their snack during center time. It seems like many of the kids don't eat their whole lunch because they are in an all fire hurry to get out to recess. So, I started letting them eat the rest of their lunch or a snack if they bring one from home during center time. Obviously there is some work to do to make sure kids are responsible for their own papers, mess, etc. I thought I would hate this, but it has worked out well. If they are hungry, grab a bite to eat and keep working!
joby560 is offline   Reply With Quote