Help

Substitute Teachers

Would it be worth applying?

>

TheGr8Catsby

Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently applied for a tutoring position in a middle school in my district for the fall, but today applications for substituting opened. I'm a college junior, and I'll be doing my practicums this year. However, during the Fall I will only have TWO full (week)days off per week. Those will be Monday and Friday. My date of availability would be around the 26 of August.

If so, there are two options: substitute teachers or substitute paras. I'm qualified for either. Which would be better for me?

TheGr8Catsby is online now   Reply With Quote

neasg18

Apply!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I turned to subbing because it is the highest paying job that offers this much flexibility. I can work if I want to and if I don't want to work it's not a big deal. This Fall I will begin earning my Masters and I will be subbing 2 days a week. In those two days I will be able to make much more money than I would have at my part-time job in the after-school program.

Of course if money is not a concern for you and you would like to have more free time for studying or for personal business, then tutoring might be a better option. But don't dismiss subbing just because you will "only" be working 2 days a week. That flexibility is one of the best things about the job, especially considering your schedule will change every few months.
neasg18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishmama

Worth it!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As a sub, you can choose which days you want/do not want to work. It won't be held against you if you only want to sub 1 day a week - just put your availability into the sub system.

Good luck!
Englishmama is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Monday's and Friday's are very busy for subs, go for it.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Vlad

Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As a sub who loves my job with a passion, my answer is going to be heavily biased but I would say go for it! As another poster mentioned previously, both Mondays and Fridays can be very extremely busy days.

Substitute teaching pays more but if you are worried you may not be working enough, why not choose both if possible?

Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Actually, I'm worried about working too much with my Practicums, or if I would not be accepted as a sub due to my lack of availability. I'm not entirely sure about this, but I do not think my district uses an electronic system for subbing. I'm pretty sure it's a phone call method.
TheGr8Catsby is online now   Reply With Quote

Vlad

Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That is a pretty legitimate concern. I would recommend talking or emailing the sub clerk, and informing him/her of your situation. Tell him/her you want to sub for the division, but don't know if being available to work 2 days a week would be enough, or are subs expected to be available all the time. On your application, you can also mark down that you are only available Mondays and Fridays, that way you are being upfront with them. If you fear that subbing rarely now may give you a disadvantage in the division or district and they may be less likely to hire you, I'd stay with tutoring.

In every division I have worked for thus far, there are people who work only about a day or two a month and they still get called back in year after year. I wouldn't see you being available to sub only 2 days a week as a problem in the divisions I work, but we also have teacher unions here that also extend some representation to subs. I have heard that in some parts of the US, it is different.

All the best in whatever you decide.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote