Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Airbnb.....

>

Ruby07

Airbnb.....
Old 06-04-2022, 04:03 AM

We stayed in an Airbnb for DD's college graduation. We have stayed in lots of them through the years, so we're not new to this. The space was the upstairs of an older home. There was no living room space at all, no couch, no chairs. Just a little dining area with a fancy little table and chairs. So when we all just wanted to hang out together, we were sitting on those little fancy chairs (like a patio set).

But the worst part was that there were NO DOORS on the bedrooms! I stayed in the smaller bedroom, and there was a curtain hanging in the doorway. The curtain wasn't even very heavy, and didn't completely cover the doorway. There was no way I could change my clothes in there with my future SIL right outside. The bigger bedroom had absolutely nothing in the doorway. Wide open to the dining area.

We left an honest review, saying that it wasn't a comfortable space, since there was absolutely no privacy.

The host messaged us back, and she was FURIOUS! She said that "families don't mind the open spaces". Well, I don't know about YOUR family, but I don't plan on getting naked in front of my daughters' boyfriends anytime soon, and vice versa lololol.

Thoughts? Wanna share an Airbnb horror story? (this was NOT a horror story; the place was otherwise fine)

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 06-04-2022, 04:18 AM

Her reply is ridiculous and it should be clearly stated in description. OR she should at least take the hint and get thicker, bigger curtains.

We stayed at one in London in April. Super host. Lived right on property in other apt and was very responsive. However, older reviews mentioned mattresses needing replacing due to age and sagging. She posted response that they were being replaced. No mention in reviews since about worn mattresses. Ummmm.....we rolled towards each other and sank in the middle every night.

Also, no night side table/ lamps even though they were in pics. Light switch for overhead lights by door on opposite side of room from bed, so walking across a very dark room each night to find the bed. Tiny 1/2 bath you had to be a contortionist to use the toilet! . Other full bath was huge. There were tripping hazards at every doorway with 2-3 inch threshold holds you had to step over. 78 year old mom was with us. Her falling would've been problematic.

Nothing awful, and location was great, price was reasonable, but probably wouldn't stay there again unless mattresses were replaced for sure and not with mom.
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-04-2022, 04:19 AM

I have never stayed in one, but I think you were right in giving an honest review. Those circumstances may be fine for some situations, but you just may have saved others from making a mistake with staying there.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Airbnb
Old 06-04-2022, 04:23 AM

You were honest, nothing wrong with that. The lack of comfortable seating space would have bothered me also. The door thing would have also annoyed me because of the noise. What if someone was a snorer or sleeping schedules were different?
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 06-04-2022, 04:41 AM

I think your review was fine. You were not negative, but stated the obvious that you felt uncomfortable with the lack of privacy allowed.

In Amsterdam we stayed at an air b and b. Nowhere in the description did it mention the over 20 stairs on an almost straight incline up that you had to climb to get to the room. We struggled so much carrying our suitcases up those stairs. And going down the stairs you felt like you were going to miss a step and fall to your death. The room was fine and it was a nice area, but we couldn't get over those stairs. I'll have to post a pic one day of those treacherous stairs.

nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 06-04-2022, 05:00 AM

We do Airbnb and VRBO. If we ever walked into a place like you described then Im sure my hubs would turn around and walk right out to the nearest nice hotel. He's done this before when something is not up to his standards and he doesn't care if he loses the deposits etc. Your review was justified and will be appreciated by future travelers.

IMHO you often get what you pay for with vacation rentals. Sometimes you can find a nice place that is very reasonably priced. Most owners are pretty savvy about what their properties are worth and price them accordingly. I would do the same but I will never be a vacation property landlord.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

airbnb
Old 06-04-2022, 05:10 AM

You gave your experience and opinion. Others reading it will be able to decide if that setup would work for them or not. Were there photos to show the area?

I did something similar to one we stayed, it was really beautiful and convenient. But had an open balcony upstairs so that sound carried from downstairs (tv, etc.). Not exactly a deal breaker. Just a bit annoying to us. To each his own, right?
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

We try to do the budget side of bnbs
Old 06-04-2022, 05:15 AM

It’s been a bit hit and miss. I appreciate it when someone writes an honest review.

I stayed in one that got 5 stars. It was NOT five stars. It wasn’t clean there was dirty on the floors the oven had pizza cheese caked on it. The redeeming part was the bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean. I think maybe there were 8 reviews…but some seemed to be a different listing under the same host. We left an honest review and she was not happy. I went back to check out the reviews and it still seems like she fudges them.

Last edited by calumetteach; 06-04-2022 at 06:53 AM..
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

Sorry
Old 06-04-2022, 05:22 AM

One more. My sister rented a cottage on a lake. It was pretty pricy. It had lots of things in it..the listing looked better. It didnít seem very clean. Yet there was a sign that said something like if you canít give me five stars tell whyÖexcept it seemed kind of threatening. Um. It wasnít clean, it was fusty and dusty, two of the kayaks were broken and they all had mildew on them.

ICrazyTeach

Old 06-04-2022, 05:53 AM

Yeah, most owners/managers get pretty bent out of shape over anything they perceive as negative in reviews. I appreciate reading honest reviews, though.

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Arbnb
Old 06-04-2022, 05:58 AM

We had a less than pleasant stay in Minneapolis 3 years ago. The home owner had part of the house rented to university students. The garbage bin in the kitchen was overflowing, smelly. He was there much of the time which felt awkward. When I needed the kitchen to make a salad to take to a family gathering, he never left the room, constantly "supervising" me. Very uncomfortable. He accused us of damaging a door. We had a busy schedule for my family reunion and spent very little time there. Ugh!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-04-2022, 06:22 AM

I have stayed at several and had a problem only once. The owners didnít provide access when they said they would and we had to wait a couple hours for their don to get there. Then there was an issue with the don telling his parents we scare him. Weíre 2 women who are nit huge so we donít understand. We think he was on the spectrum because of mannerisms so he may be super sensitive. But donít leave him in charge! Parking was a nightmare there too!

I just ventured into the hosting end of things last night! All I can say is READ EVERYTHING IN THE LISTING!!! If you booked after looking at pictures the lack of seating was not on them. The privacy issue canít necessarily be seen in pictures so the host should have disclosed the situation. Yeah Iím not going to be comfortable with no privacy with my children and a partner!

Hosts reaction was uncalled for! Hosts do strive for 5 star ratings. I always communicate with just if thereís something not right. We went to Florida Dec 2020. There was no blanket and it was the coldest night of the year! Bedroom had no heat either and living room heat didnít get back far enough to bedroom! I contacted host and he gave me code to his owners closet for a blanket! Problem solved 5 ⭐️ Review
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-04-2022, 06:28 AM

I've never stayed in an AirBNB or VRBO and it sounds like I'd be more comfortable staying in my favorite hotel and collecting my points I love the privacy,cleanliness and free already made delicious breakfast in the morning. We looked at prices when traveling to house hunt and many are as much or more than a night in a hotel.

Last edited by anna; 06-04-2022 at 08:44 AM..
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 06-04-2022, 07:36 AM

I’m with Anna. I’m a hotel person. We do have a place at the beach that is in charge of the condos next door to them. We stayed there over Memorial Day. Loved it!

After reading these posts, I think I’ll stick with hotels and their condos.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-04-2022, 07:57 AM

We've used Airbnb once. The place was decent enough, but so many ants everywhere!! The owner had made it clear only 5 star reviews were on, and I felt stuck. Dh was the one doing the review and it was a 5 star for you, 5 star for me attitude from the owner. That soured my experience even more. I'd rather stay in a hotel.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 06-04-2022 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Clarified my post- actually dh wrote the review, but I felt like it was bullying
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-04-2022, 07:59 AM

Grace, I would never give a 5 star if there were ants everywhere and no solution was made!

PS donít swing by my my house today. I just cleaned up an ant party! Grrr
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Airbnb
Old 06-04-2022, 09:41 AM

Ruby, what the terrible experience. I know it is too late now to take photos of the interior to compare them with the photos that the host had posted. I wonder if there may have been some omission or deception on part of the host, like not showing a panoramic view of the interior so you wouldn't see the curtain or the lack of doors.

As a budget traveler, I have been using VRBO and Airbnb for years and have booked several for this summer and fall. Only once did I have a problem with a place, but after immediately contacting the owner/manager, they resolved it within a few hours. I always take photos so I can reminisce, but they can also be helpful in case of problems.

I have heard from friends that there is now a tendency for some super hosts (5 stars) to be petty about not receiving 5 stars despite problems that make the property worth less than 5 stars. They strike back by giving the guest a poor rating (which the guest won't see), which in turn makes other 5 star hosts more hesitant to rent to them.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-04-2022, 09:57 AM

CVT, your last paragraph was our experience in a nutshell. This guy was a super host (or whatever it's called) with many properties in the state.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

To be fairÖ
Old 06-04-2022, 11:30 AM

We tend to stay in Holiday Inn Express hotels and have found them really cleanÖbut one we went to was gross. I wouldnít even think about walking barefoot in it. I try to look for hotels that are more new or have been remodeled. Itís hit or miss.

Ruby07

Old 06-04-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I just ventured into the hosting end of things last night! All I can say is READ EVERYTHING IN THE LISTING!!! If you booked after looking at pictures the lack of seating was not on them. The privacy issue canít necessarily be seen in pictures so the host should have disclosed the situation. Yeah Iím not going to be comfortable with no privacy with my children and a partner!
Absolutely agree! We assumed that the living area wasn't pictured, and that was our fault. But in one of the photos, they had the entry door wide open, making it look like it was the door to the big bedroom (hard to describe accurately).

Ruby07

hotels vs airbnb
Old 06-04-2022, 01:34 PM

I usually prefer to stay at hotels, because I feel safer when I'm alone. But when DD and her fiance were able to join the trip last minute, we decided to shoot for an Airbnb to save money.

I'm traveling to Ohio to see my other daughter in her show at the end of the month, and again the week after that. I decided to get a 3 bedroom Airbnb so that anyone else who decides to make the trip can stay with me (except for my ex !). I hope it goes well!

Teach 5

Airbnb
Old 06-04-2022, 03:39 PM

Iíve stayed in many and have had great experiences. You do need to read the reviews and look at the photos carefully. Even then things can change. I certainly appreciate it when people leave honest reviews, it helps me make my decisions.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote