Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

House cleaner

>

kahluablast

House cleaner
Old 06-06-2022, 07:20 AM

I am going to try to make myself pay for a house cleaner. I can't do it (and I have only been doing a half assed job for a while) at all right now. It is just so hard to make myself pay for stuff like this.

Also, the prices here are ridiculous. Honestly. I am getting a couple quotes this week- but I wish I could find a teen who would come and do it. Happily pay them for doing just general cleaning.

DH is doing well taking care of my needs. Well, good enough. However, he has no concept of things like wiping down counters... much less how often bathrooms and floors need cleaned! Or towels and sheets...

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 06-06-2022, 07:31 AM

I bet if you posted on Next-door, you'd get a teen! It would be worth it!
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Cleaner
Old 06-06-2022, 07:52 AM

Do you know a high school teacher who could recommend someone?
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

House cleaner
Old 06-06-2022, 08:06 AM

If you can afford it, hire a company. They will always send a team, even if one of your regulars canít show up. If you have issues, they are easily remedied.
With an individual, if they are sick, theyíre unable to come.

Iíve had both. Iím currently using Molly Maids and they come every other week.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-06-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
It is just so hard to make myself pay for stuff like this.
I get this, Iím frugal. I did all the cleaning until I was 65. Thatís when I retired and DH became ill. Even without working, I couldnít take care of him and clean house. I had to hire help. When DH passed away, I decided not-cleaning is a big retirement perk.
Quote:
If you can afford it, hire a company.
I agree 100% with Keltikmom. I use Merry Maids. They are insuredóthat is really important to me. They handle all the arrangements that I donít want to. They provide all supplies (even their vacuum cleaner) and their standards of cleanliness are very high. Iíve had a regular team for years (they love me because Iím neat), yet the company sends a sub when necessary. Weíve been together 6 years (2 different houses, 2 different franchises) and I canít begin to tell you how much I love Merry Maids.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

housecleaner
Old 06-06-2022, 09:24 AM

I'm not sure about the teen idea. You would have to teach them how to do the cleaning, because I can almost guarantee they don't know how to do it, especially bathrooms and floors.

I have a cleaning person who comes once a month and does an amazing job. It is not cheap, but well worth it. She did the cleaning for one of my neighbors who moved away, so I was lucky to take over. Very trustworthy and thorough.

Check in your community groups (Next Door, Buy Nothing, etc.) for recommendations. And I also agree with the professional services.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

House cleaner
Old 06-06-2022, 10:41 AM

Itís so worth it. You are buying time you canít ever get back, time to do what you want or need to do. I use a local team, and they do a great job. I doubt many teens would do nearly as well. Although I worked several jobs as a teen, I know I wouldnít have been a good teen house cleaner.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-06-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure about the teen idea. You would have to teach them how to do the cleaning, because I can almost guarantee they don't know how to do it, especially bathrooms and floors.
That was my thought as well. I grew up in a "cleanliness is next to godliness" house and was expected to help from a very young age, but even then, I knew how to clean the surfaces in our house, and with the products my mom bought. I might not have known what to do if plopped in someone else's house.

It is crazy how expensive it is but in your current situation, it's definitely warranted! Several years ago we got a grant to offer tutoring/clubs after school. The first 2 years I tutored and made an average of $400 extra per month (sometimes more or less, depending on how many days off we had in that month). The next year, I didn't want to do it. I then had this great idea that I would use the money to hire a cleaning service- I figured that would be a couple hundred dollars, I'd still come out ahead, and I could pocket the savings.

I love a clean house but I hate cleaning- especially since moving into a bigger place. I felt like if I could take that off my plate, I'd be more motivated to do the tutoring- and I'd pick tutoring over cleaning! Then I started looking at actual prices . Yeah, there wasn't going to be any extra savings. There went that idea! I ended up not tutoring and cleaning my own house.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 06-06-2022, 11:57 AM

I hope that you can find someone to help you out. We have put a pause on our cleaning services twice. The first time was when DH retired and he said he could handle it...well, no, that was not the case. The most recent time was during the pandemic. DH and I split up the jobs and it still took us 2 days to as good a job as our hired person. Once we were all vaccinated we had her back (we ended up paying her for 4 months during the pandemic, she is like family.)

She is independent and there has been maybe 1 or 2 times that she was not able to make it. Her daughter can come in her place if we really needed it in a pinch.

We provide everything she needs. I don't like the idea of a vacuum blowing out dust from other people's homes. I wash all the rags that she uses. She walks in with her keys and her mask.

You deserve to have the best treatment during your recuperation.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Luvmycat
Old 06-06-2022, 12:22 PM

Like you, my house cleaners come in only with their purse and mask. I prefer to provide everything they need because I donít want a vacuum or cleaning cloths that have been used elsewhere to be used in my home. They like a few special products that I buy whenever requested, and I wash the used cleaning cloths so theyíre ready for the next time.

Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-06-2022, 04:30 PM

Please pay the money for a bonded and insured company of professionals. Trust me, you will be so much happier you did. A housecleaner is SO worth the money.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

part of the family--going on 23 years
Old 06-06-2022, 04:59 PM

I have had my cleaner now for 22 years. Her daughters that used to help her are now Dual Immersion teachers. I know her grandchildren. I provide my own cleaning supplies ( bleach) and my own vacuum for our one and only rug. You would die at how much she charged me 23 years ago. She comes every 2-3 weeks.

I began when my mother moved in with me and the girls were in elementary. With 100 mile commute and being single it made perfect sense. We are the same age and her oldest daughter will take over the business when she retires. With 2 granite bathrooms it takes 30 min. in each bathroom alone plus the 3rd bathroom. She scrubs all of my tile floors on her hands and knees throughout the house. She will be irreplaceable!!!
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 06-06-2022, 06:29 PM

I am paying a lot more, but I hire through a company. They are insured and bonded. My fear was someone getting injured in our home, and just in case anything went missingÖ..

That being said. I hired a cleaning service when I went back to school full time while working full time with every intention of taking up the cleaning again once I was down to only two jobs (teaching and parenting), but I canít give it up. It was the best thing I ever did for myself!
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote