Are you an over packer, under packer, or a just right packer? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Are you an over packer, under packer, or a just right packer?

>

PEPteach

Are you an over packer, under packer, or a just right packer?
Old 06-14-2022, 10:23 AM

I知 packing for my hiking trip. I went to put my new hiking pack (empty) in my suitcase. Here it is along with my hiking boots! Uh oh! 🙈 my current plan is to fill it and see if that works. I could use it as a carry on, but I had other stuff I wanted to put in my carry on.

I admit it! I知 an overpacker! My philosophy is always be prepared! I always wonder how people travel for more than a night with just their little carryon.

How about you? Over packer, under packer, or just right?

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-14-2022, 10:25 AM

I am an overpacker, but I have learned to really limit what I take when I am hiking.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Over packer
Old 06-14-2022, 10:26 AM

I seriously over pack. Usually shoes cause my feet bug me all the time. And I can never decide what to wear.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 06-14-2022, 10:32 AM

OVER packer! i do NOT want to need anything. "but you can always buy something there." NO. i don't want to spend $5 for a toothbrush in Hawaii when i worked hard to acquire a collection of them at home for only $.25 each. i HATE to spend money for something that i already own/spend very little for.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-14-2022, 10:33 AM

Definite over packer.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-14-2022, 10:38 AM

I知 firmly in the camp of overpackers.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

I have learned to be a just right packer. This happened when I spent a month in Europe and had to pack and plan for many different events. We do mostly carry on suitcases and you are limited to 2 including 1 tote or purse. One thing you could do is to wear your hiking boots on the plane or carry them in a smaller tote. I often put shoes in my tote and switch to a small shoulder purse which also fits in the tote. Shoes take up a lot of space in a suitcase but who can do without?
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Definitely an over packer. I've never used a carry on! Ever. But, I am going to Tuscon tomorrow and don't want to pay to check a bag. So, I am heading out to buy my first ever carry on luggage. It is going to force me to under pack!!!!
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 06-14-2022, 10:45 AM

I was much better when we were flying stand by quite often and only took a carry on. But it痴 the shoes that were my biggest problem.

Now we get free checked bags and I definitely take advantage of that! Now I知 an over packer. But it痴 mostly because of the shoes!

My trick to packing a lot in a carry on are these packing folders. I can squeeze a lot into them and the clothes don稚 get wrinkled.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-T...00F9S8000?th=1
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 06-14-2022, 10:48 AM

Shoes are my biggest problem. But I have gotten much better. I think I also care less what someone might think of my clothing anymore.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

It depends
Old 06-14-2022, 10:59 AM

on the trip. A car trip - definitely an overpacker! If I'm going on a plane, I try very hard to be a just right packer. I definitely have a shoe issue when we go to the beach. I take too many pairs of sandals!
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 06-14-2022, 11:27 AM

I’ve learned to be a just right packer if we are flying somewhere. If it’s a road trip, everything but the kitchen sink.

I would use the hiking pack as my carry on and wear my hiking boots on the plane.
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

underpack/just-right-pack
Old 06-14-2022, 11:48 AM

I like to travel light when flying or traveling by train. I've traveled all around the world with my small rolling bag (15x13x8) and a small backpack, and it can be done. I totally understand why people would be overpackers, but for me the freedom of doing carry-on only is important. I don't have to worry about luggage getting lost or delayed, especially now with the unpredictable airline travel. Several of my friends have complained about delayed or missing luggage.

Some of the advantages of traveling light are not having to pay checked bag fees, not having to worry about lugging heavy suitcases from place to place, taking luggage up narrow flights of stairs due to non-existing elevators (very common in Europe and even in NYC), and so on. I have seen many travelers trying to carry heavy luggage up metro/subway stairs when the elevators are broken.

It takes a different mindset. I am definitely not a fashion plate, and I bring few clothes. A portable washing line and sink plug are my friends, and I wear (and carry) only quick-drying clothes and underwear.

I do this too:
Quote:
One thing you could do is to wear your hiking boots on the plane
I carry one pair of cute walking sandals and a pair of cheap flip flops (the latter for staying in hotel/Airbnb where the floors and showers are a bit suspect).

Quote:
Now we get free checked bags and I definitely take advantage of that!
This may not be true for some airlines anymore. DH has been a Gold customer on AA due to his many business travels, but they charged him for his bags last week. When he comes back he is going to appeal it, but meanwhile he was out $35/bag.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 06-14-2022, 11:51 AM

Hi, my name is All-Forty-One, and I'm an over packer.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 06-14-2022, 11:53 AM

I知 pretty much a just-right-packer except for socks and underwear葉hat痴 where I知 an overpacker
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 06-14-2022, 12:41 PM

Overpacker!!! I'm that person in the airport shifting things between suitcases at the check-in stand because one of them always weighs too much! I much prefer to drive to places because then I don't have to edit quite as much!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Overpacker
Old 06-14-2022, 12:48 PM

I know I should not, but I cannot help myself.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Just right.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:53 PM

It took many years but I'm a just-right packer. When my children were still in diapers, I brought about 100 extra plus enough changes of clothes to fill two suitcases but I don't think that counts.

I use capsule wardrobes for each season, so thinking ahead about my travel activities and planning the outfits is easy for me. I also have a capsule make-up collection that is easy to pack.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

All three! lol
Old 06-14-2022, 12:54 PM

I used to overpack and didn't realize how stupid that was until I had to travel by plane and weigh the luggage. My last trip, I underpacked (didn't plan well) and needed to sink wash some items.
I survive by wearing some quick dry hiking items and quick drying wool socks, along with everything else. That way, I can wash, dry, and wear again.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 06-14-2022, 01:05 PM

I'm a slight overpacker. I don't consider it a problem because at the same time I don't bring extra bags - just an extra outfit, some things we don't end up needing to use, not a big deal. I consider it being prepared for emergencies that didn't happen.

Most of my packing the last few years has been going to see my parents. I do tend to overpack for those trips because I never know when I might need to be prepared for hospitalizations or other extenuating circumstances where I needed to stay longer than planned.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Packer
Old 06-14-2022, 01:06 PM

I am an over-packer, especially when it comes to underwear. Evidently, when I go on trips it is a must to take double or triple the needed underwear.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 06-14-2022, 01:21 PM

If your hiking pack fits the carryon size, I'd use it as my carryon.There's usually a couple of backpack carryons when I fly.

I do rewear clothing and am an efficient sink washer. As much as I try though I always come home with something I didn't wear. So that technically makes me an overpacker.

I also consider myself a might need it packer. That has paid off though. I always have over the counter pain meds, stomach meds, bandaids, mole skin, etc. Yes, you can buy them there, but I don't want to have to search for the drugstore you can never find when you need. Plus, if you are not in the US, the name and packaging is different. My might need has come in handy more than once.

Shoes -- two pair. Both sneakers. One pair black for fancier places. One I wear on the plane. The other I pack.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

A friend of mine let me borrow these:
Old 06-14-2022, 01:33 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PLHBVZQ...CGB3W0CMH150TW

They were especially helpful when we returned home with extra souvenirs. Shoes take up so much space…I always try to pack them full. I also find that I tend to wear the same thing, but we were traveling around and doing a lot of hiking. Some things I never even wore. I’m not really a fashionista. I like to be comfortable and try to stick with classic looks.
calumetteach is online now   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 06-14-2022, 01:40 PM

Overpacker.

I am currently packing for a flight to Hawaii tomorrow. We are renting an Air BNB that includes a washer and dryer. I have absolutely NO REASON to overpack since I can wash my clothes, but I am still struggling!!!
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-14-2022, 02:47 PM

I知 an under packer. I知 watching all these TikTok videos and have decided I知 such a man (except when it comes to reading and eating ). I do pack enough underwear to last 3 times as long as I値l be gone though. Who know why?
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-14-2022, 03:36 PM

I'm usually a just right. I have my little carry-on and a backpack and that's usually all I need. But I'm also not a clothes/make-up/shoe kind of person so I'm good with a pair of sneakers and a pair of flip flops, a few black bottoms, some plain tees, and a hoodie or two.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

riko

Old 06-14-2022, 03:42 PM

Overpacker. The times I tried to be a just right packer, I was really an underpacker. I just can't get it right.
riko is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-14-2022, 04:47 PM

I知 an over packer. I try not to be, but I fail every time. I知 better when I fly because I don稚 want to pay extra for heavier bags. DH is an under packer.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-14-2022, 05:04 PM

Typically over-packer. I would rather have too much stuff than be missing something I need, and I don't want to be in a situation where I want more outfit options but don't have them when I get there.

I have gotten better about packing more at the "just right" level when I go visit my hometown, mostly because it's a trip I make 4x per year and I know what I need at this point. I will typically plan out what I'm going to wear each day and bring only that, plus maybe 1 extra top just in case I want something different. Since I'm at my parents' house, I could always do laundry if needed. I manage to only do a carry on for every trip except for Christmas, because I need room for gifts then.

I fly Southwest, so it's not extra money to check bags, but I like keeping my luggage with me and not having to worry about them losing it or someone else taking it (never happened to me, thankfully, but has happened to other people I know). My airport baggage claim is also incredibly slow. It's so painful to be waiting an extra 30-45 minutes at the end of trip at baggage claim, when all I want to do is go home.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 06-14-2022, 05:41 PM

I am a just right packer but it doesn't matter because DH is an over packer.

I can pack 2-3 pairs of shoes, a week of clothes, hair stuff, tech, and even a portable coffee press pot in my carry on bag.

My husband packs like he's going to the equator, and then the north pole, and then on safari, and then to a formal event.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 06-14-2022, 05:51 PM

I am going overnight for a work trip. I have a couple of outfits packed, workout wear, a swimsuit, beach stuff..I mean, you never know what you are going to need! However, I did make it for a month in Europe with just a carry-on, so I知 an efficient overpacker.

My mom is such an underpacker it痴 not funny. She could get flagged for being a terrorist because it is suspicious to travel with nothing! She swears all she needs is her phone and credit card (which is exactly what she had stolen when we went to France).
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-14-2022, 06:21 PM

I got used to under packing because my dh is an over packer.

I do plan out outfits and things. I try to keep them all to the same pair of sandals or shoes. I do take my tennis shoes or hiking boots and my flip flops. Depends on the time of year which ones I have to wear on planes. I plan tops that go with multiple pants or shorts and I don稚 get fancy. I would rather have things fit in my suit case than have a different fancy outfit for each day.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 06-15-2022, 03:52 AM

Overpacker all the way.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote