Fifth Grade

Words Their Way in the Upper Grades

>

teachBrooklyn

Words Their Way in the Upper Grades
Old 09-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I am teaching fifth grade and this year we are being asked to do a twenty-minute words their way lesson every day. Does anyone have suggestions for making this curriculum fit with this age group?

I have done the spelling assessment. They make flash cards on the first day and sorts on the second. After that it gets difficult to keep them interested in what they suggest. We do not have resources for the students- only a teacher's guide.

Thanks!

teachBrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote

MBCstdteach

Wtw
Old 09-13-2009, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have not used it class, but our master's class required us to use WTW ideas (from the text) to create game boards, match games, etc as shown in later chapters of our text for students at higher levels (chapters 6, 7, & 8 in my text).
MBCstdteach is offline   Reply With Quote

cjn

Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am also struggling with this, but today I really looked at the sample schedule for upper elementary in the Words Their Way Book. I think I can work with this format, but only time will tell how practical this really is.
cjn is offline   Reply With Quote

icecream02

Wtw
Old 09-14-2009, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We started WTW this year too. I am not that thrilled with the program. Seems so repetitive. My principal doesn't want us to take spelling test so I feel that their spelling grade is based on those sorts which really doesn't measure their spelling abilitlies. I just don't know what was wrong with the old fashion spelling.
icecream02 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedkidsrock

Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

WTW is an excellent spelling program! ..if used correctly. "Old fashion" spelling relied on memorizing words. WTW has students learn spelling patterns and when applied, students can spell a broader range of words.

Ideas:
Create comic strips with spelling words.
Create a cross word puzzle or word find.
Blind sorts
Speed sorts

There are a few more ideas in the WTW manual.

spedkidsrock is offline   Reply With Quote

jdhan

Words Their Way Activity
Old 09-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just started using this program and like the fact that the kids are talking about words and spelling patterns. I'm having trouble managing my two groups that were created using the spelling inventory. It is difficult to meet with both groups everyday so I'm still playing around with the schedule.

I have my kids do a Brainburst, where they try to brainstorm and write words that fit with the different patterns for the week. They also do a Word Hunt in their independent reading books. They open the book and skim, looking for words that fit the spelling/sound patterns. They are able to come up with many words using these two activities. We also spend part of a lesson doing a speed sort, where I time them with a stop watch. There are fun games in the Words Their Way Manual. I've done Concentration (the kids loved it and play during snack now) and Pictionary for compound words. In both games, they spell aloud and the partner checks their spelling.

Hope these ideas help. Take some time to run through the manual- there are great, quick ideas at all different levels.
jdhan is offline   Reply With Quote

cgarden

words their way in fifth grade
Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For those who don't understand the words their way program- read Mindful of Words- it explains the whole idea of word study. Her first book is Word Journeys but Mindful of Words is geared more towards the intermediate level. This program may seem repetitive but I don't see how it's any more repetitive than the "old-fashioned" way of teaching spelling, which, let's face it, was just teaching memorization. On the contrary, words their way teaches children how to recognize patterns in spelling which will help them learn how to spell not just to memorize their spelling words. I actually give my kids a few words each week that are not on their list but that meet the pattern they are using that week, just so that I know that they are learning to apply the pattern. It is the way that kids are taught to spell when they compete at the higher level spelling bees.
cgarden is offline   Reply With Quote

nrr

Help!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What do you do with the kids who do not miss any words on the spelling inventory?
nrr is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsiggy

No Missed Words
Old 09-28-2009, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Did you give the Elementary of Intermediate Inventory list? Some of my 5th graders did well on the Elementary list, then when I administered the Intermediate list, I saw areas of need.
mrsiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

vsweeney

Managing & Using WTW leveled Groups
Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi,

I have been teaching 5th grade for years and have just "adopted" this program for my class. I gave the assessments and began groups for the first time last week. The kids seemed to like the format better than the traditional spelling lessons used in the past. I personally liked being able to meet with my kids in groups and discuss the word patterns. We had some great discussions!

I plan to incorporate the WTW into my guided reading groups. I only have a 75 minute L.Arts period, so I don't have the time to meet with both guided reading groups AND separate WTW groups. I'm not sure how this will work. I'm thinking about using some of the guided reading time as a way to do a word hunt in the text. Any other ideas would be appreciated!

My problem is that when I gave the ELA to the class, half of them did so well that they needed the Upper Level assessment. Now that I have scored all my assessments, I have two groups of kids that are in the affixes stage and two in the derivations stage. But I can't really group the same stages together because they used two different level assessments! The affixes kids using the ELA are not at the same point as the affixes kids who took the ULA. How do I managing this?! Should I teach the pattern to the groups together, but give them different words? If so, how do I give them all a quiz on Friday?

Any ideas?

vsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Oddie

Oddie

4th grade
Old 09-09-2010, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What is the name of the WTW you are using? I want game ideas, etc. but the only thing I have in my WTW are WORDS! I have the "Word Sorts for Syllables and Affixes Spellers". Is there another book that goes with this one...?

Creek4

Oddie
Old 09-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have been looking at the WS for SAS and was thinking of purchasing it. Is it worth it? Does it have activities to work on specific prefixes and suffixes?
Creek4 is offline   Reply With Quote