Small Group Instruction by Beverly Tyner? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Bluebonnet Room

Small Group Instruction by Beverly Tyner?

>

desire2inspir

Small Group Instruction by Beverly Tyner?
Old 07-04-2007, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone familiar with Small-Group Reading Instruction-A Differentiated Teaching Model for Beginning and Struggling Readers? by Beverly Tyner. She has also written the same title for Intermediate Readers.
I would love to get some opinions.

KAS112

Small Group Reading Instruction
Old 07-06-2007, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the book and I really like it. But I guess it depends on your needs. I bought it when I moved to 1st from pre-K, I had only had limited experience with guided reading groups from my student teaching, so that was why I bought it initially. I showed it to some of the other teachers in my hall and out Title I staff, everyone liked it and we ended up doing a book discussion.

The book gives very clear cut ideas on what to work with at each level - as well as example lesson plans and support pages that you can copy including activities to extend the learning and lesson plan pages for each level.

It is worth the $22 or so dollars in my opinion.

heather818

I read it...
Old 07-15-2007, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

a couple of years ago and loved it. I thought that she explained many things about "guided reading" that I'd never really understood before. The most useful parts for me were the sections about different levels of support to provide readers of different levels. (When to choral read, echo read, silent read, etc.) To follow her plan for groups exactly would take a LONG group/ centers block. Parts of it were really useful, though.
HCrowson

HCrowson

hebacrowson
Old 10-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have seen her in action and she knows her stuff. I highly suggest using her methods!

beachmom68

small group instruction
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do recommend Tyner's book. A lot of the information is not new if you are familiar with guided reading. However her book is thorough in explaining what each learner needs at each level and how to teach that level. She also explains in detail a great assessment, the ERSI which is recommended at K-1.

The lessons detail about fluency, vocabulary and word work at each level.

I would recommend her book!

VAreader

Help!--Beverly Tyner--with FIDELITY!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi, our county has switched to Tyner with FIDELITY. We just found out we have to print out lesson plans for every reading level and have them available for the week for weekly "pop" observations.

I think this will force me to make better use of my time.

1. What are thoughts you all have about the small group time?

2. Do you do the dictation sentence, word work, fluency, and comprehension with every group when you meet?

3. How many groups can you get to in a day and still feel like you are meeting the students' needs with thorough teaching?

4. What are the parts of the small group that you feel are most important (say for Independent Readers)? What are parts that you feel like are less important?

Any tips or feedback is welcome!

As always, many thanks to my PT peers!