Help

ARCHIVE

new to 2nd

>

daisylove

new to 2nd
Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching 2nd grade next year and would like to change my behavior system to something less visual. Right now I have a pocket chart with the green/good, yellow/careful, red/note home. I want to try something else. Any suggestions?

daisylove is offline   Reply With Quote

coolbeans

I do feel that second graders need a visual..
Old 03-30-2008, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use colored popsicle sticks that are color coded with my four rules. When a student breaks a rule he has to put stick in his "pocket" that's the same color as the rule. For ex: Be a good listener is written in blue. If student wasn't listening he'd put a blue stick in his pocket. I also have "positive cards." They are strips cut from construction paper. If I see a student being a good listener (while others are talking) I have him to put a positive card in his pocket. At the end of the day if a student has one stick and one positive card--they cancel each other out and the student still takes home a smiley in his agenda book. If a student has one stick I write that rule number in the agenda book. If a student has one positive card I put a smiley and a + rule number in his agenda book. This has worked for me in 1 and 2 grades. My former assistant who is now a 5th grade teacher uses a form of this behavior system in her class. We brain-stormed this idea when we worked together. I've used it for seven years now.

I tried the system you are using at the beginning of this year and it didn't work for me or my students.

Good luck in finding one that works for you!
coolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote

daisylove

behavior
Old 03-31-2008, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the idea of the color coding. It seems like it would be a very good tool for the type of rule that is consistently needing improvement.

I did my student teaching in second grade many years ago and can't remember what the teacher used. I don't want to baby my new second graders, but I don't want to have unrealistic expectations either.

Thanks for the suggestion.
daisylove is offline   Reply With Quote

tiffglrl

Mr. Stoplight
Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use a "Mr. Stoplight" system...which was bought at a local teacher store. It is a very small visual (about a foot long, maybe 15 inches) cut-out of a stoplight, which I place on the side of my teacher desk, basically out of sight. The kids know where it is, but it is not in a place where people who come and go from my room can see it easily. Each student has a small "mini" clothespin with their name on it.
Each day the kids start on green, and after 1-2 warnings, depending on the severity, they will be moved to yellow. The kids are the ones who move the clip - I feel this helps with ownership of the problem. They can get moved to red if the wrong behavior continues or worsens.
I always send a note home if they are on yellow/red, which requires a parent signature and allows for comments too. The note must return the next day. I have also used this in first grade with great success. I hope this helps...good luck! :-)
tiffglrl is offline   Reply With Quote

haskell112

stoplight method
Old 03-31-2008, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was wondering what you do if the student does not bring the note back to school the next day. I work in a school where the parents are not very involved and have a hard time receiving many notes back.
Thanks.

haskell112 is offline   Reply With Quote

christina4062

2 ideas...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

though they are a "red, yellow, green" system... so not sure if that's what you're really after.

I use small, magnetic white board that I painted into three sections- red, yellow, green- and each kid has their name on a laminated piece of white paper with a magnet attached.

There's a picture on my website http://www.teacherweb.com/mi/central...e/gallery1.stm at this link. Moving to yellow occurs after a verbal warning- then you miss 5 minutes of recess if you move to yellow AND take away 1 citizenship point. A move to red is a total loss of recess, take away 2 citizenship points, and a note home. My students know they will not get recess again until the note comes back to school. I teach is a high free & reduced area and in two years of this system, no kid has EVER not brought the note back the next day.

A colleague of mine has a yard stick that she painted red, yellow, and green. She has each kid's name on a clothespin. This way she can take it down the hall and to art/PE/music so that the special's teachers can give consequences too.
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote

tiffglrl

paper not returned
Old 04-01-2008, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I usually do one of three things... 1) I email the parents asking if they saw the note 2) if there is not an email address I try to call them during a prep time or before lunch. If I can not get ahold of the parents 3) I have the student miss a recess by sitting in the office (my school allows this.) It does state on the slip that I send home that if the note is not brought back the next day the student will miss a recess...
I rarely have a student not bring back the note - however I do have good parental involvement this year.
tiffglrl is offline   Reply With Quote

hawkfam

Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Christina4062
I have a question? What are the citizenship points?? I like your idea on the magnetic board. I just found out that I will be moving from 1st to 2nd next year and I am a little nervous about things like a new behavior chart and etc.

Thanks for the ideas!
hawkfam is offline   Reply With Quote

christina4062

Citizenship Points are...
Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

a school wide thing that we do. Each grade level gets a certain number of citizenship points at the start of each month. In 2nd grade, the kids get 10 points each month. Citizenship points are lost when students engage in choices that are against the rules- when they are not being a good citizen.

At the end of the month, if you have at least 1 point left, you get a behavior incentive. Sometimes it's an extra recess, once we did 30 minute activities and the kids got to choose which activity they wanted to do in another teacher's classroom, at Christmas they got candy canes... we are a PBIS school, so next year it will be that they will have to EARN a certain number of points rather than lose them, but it works out well. I keep my point sheets on a clipboard and they know if they move to red or yellow they have to get the board and cross off a point for themself. Last year I crossed off their points, but having them physically cross off their point has been good for them!

Here's more info on how it all works:
http://www.teacherweb.com/mi/central...ridge/ap34.stm

Here's a link to my point page:
http://www.teacherweb.com/mi/central...shippoints.pdf
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote