Why do college girls dress the way they do? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Why do college girls dress the way they do?

>

teachnkids

Why do college girls dress the way they do?
Old 09-25-2021, 09:16 AM

I’m sitting here tailgating before the football game. The outfits on some of these young “ladies” is appalling! When I can see you are wearing a thong you are not covered appropriately! But she’s got them cowboy boots on!:confuse d:

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

KingbirdQueen

Old 09-25-2021, 09:50 AM

I miss dressing crazy and all that. Full blown adulthood took that away from me .
My daughter was looking through my pictures and was like “I forgot you used to be pretty and interesting and had a life! Awww! I think I would have been friends with you back then…”

Thanks?!!

I wore combat boots and short skirts and froze to death at parties.

Now I see a lot of what you are saying- short shorts or skirts and other non-western style clothes with cowboy boots. Sometimes I see the clunky boots and short shorts and skirts and plaid and feel nostalgia.

I don’t know why they do it, but I hope they take lots of pictures for their kids and themselves when they are older to either make fun of their past looks OR marvel about how fun they looked like they USED to be.

I just “look like a mom” now.
KingbirdQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

It has been that way for years
Old 09-25-2021, 09:54 AM

My sons are in their mid 30's and when they were in HS the girls wore cut off jean shorts and short shorts. Cheeks were often on view to the public. When they sat down in class you could see their thongs because the shorts were low rise and slid down when they changed positions from standing. A belt can help prevent this problem but they don't bother with belts. The girls also wore low cut tops to show off their cleavage. Bras were all kinds of wild colors and straps as well as cups were showing. I assume they do this on purpose to show off the their colorful bra. I have no idea how my boys learned anything with that kind of constant distraction.

I guess when they go to college they use they use the same dress code.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

KingbirdQueen

Old 09-25-2021, 10:55 AM

Yeah, I think when you are used to something it’s not really a distraction. Older people are more likely to get distracted by new trends than younger people because we aren’t exposed to it, and some people in our days were actually taught harshly about skin exposure and it was tied to things like how much respect they did or didn’t deserve as a result. Some were even taught they were a bad or immoral person for showing too much of their bodies and that other people were to be mistrusted and avoided for doing so, so they notice it more and feel distress because their own freedom from disciplinary action and concept of self respect depended on it at a vulnerable age. It actually damaged them and distorted the way they see and think of others for life. I think our kids are being exposed to that line of thinking less and less, so they are less distracted as a result.

I think it’s good for boys and girls to learn not to be distracted by other people and what they are wearing. There are lots of wild, attractive or unique people in the word who can be head turning. We don’t want our kids wrecking cars or driving off a cliff because they see a sexy boy or girl.

teachnkids

Old 09-25-2021, 11:14 AM

I’m not a prude by any means and I wore short shorts and halter tops, but essential parts were covered! When I can see you a$$, crotch, nipples you are not doing a good job!

Being young and fun is one thing. Being exposed is another!

1956BD
Old 09-25-2021, 12:17 PM
This message has been deleted by 1956BD.

KingbirdQueen

Old 09-25-2021, 01:07 PM

I guess if they aren’t trying to assault anyone, I don’t have any feelings of anger or upset at some exposure.

But I will say I have been raised by hippies and went to many a naked festival in my youth. So it does make me view “exposure “ differently than people of conservative upbringings.

I do think upbringing is what makes people feel those feelings, and times are changing. Change is hard for us as creatures.

I didn’t mean to make anyone mad. But I do feel that it is an upbringing thing and not a morality thing. There is also a factor of work vs play, but tailgates are definitely play times. I think sanitation is a big factor, too. Butt cheeks peeking out of shorts are no big deal. Not my bag, I hate that wedgie feeling and I wouldn’t do it myself. Now I don’t like anything showing on myself.

But…..buttholes and ….leaking holes of all kinds. Unacceptable in public. Barf. Ew. So asses showing meaning cheeks wouldn’t bother me, asses showing as in the actual anus being exposed and touching things through sitting and moving around and getting fecal material everywhere, I too would take affront. I don’t like naked festivals anymore now because I feel it’s not the cleanest and I value cleanliness. Not that I judge people who go. I just retired from that scene. But that is my personal baggage.

Nipples don’t bother me . Tailgating often has topless men with paint . It’s a goose/gander thing for me there. But I don’t like anuses and other nearby “essential areas” touching things as people sit and move about and it is disgusting to me as so many diseases spread that way. Ew. That should be disallowed for both genders. But as long as people wear underwear and keep their fluids to themselves, I am admittedly okay with it and have never seen the big issue. But I do admit I was raised not to, and I do think we form those views in childhood and adolescence and it doesn’t change much for most people after that, making it difficult for us to gel with the changes.

I myself have a hard time with my kids wanting to shave their heads. Long hair was praised in my family and I was praised a lot for my hair. My long hair was actually a huge part of my identity my first 16 years of life. So I don’t understand that desire at all, even though it’s also a huge thing right now. My daughter also showed me some piercings she wanted that looked like vampire teeth and I told her I think it looks gross, but I am set in my ways so not to take it personally. We all have our set ways and I didn’t mean to make anyone upset. We all have our things that make us uncomfortable.

amiga13

Old 09-25-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Being young and fun is one thing. Being exposed is another.
Maybe I’m missing the point, but I think style is a major means of self-expression for young people. For some, it can be their only expression.

My hippie style was deplorable to my parents, but they had the good sense to say nothing. I eventually went mainstream.

I think the young people whose “exposure” bothers others may not think of their style the way we do. If they consider others at all, they’re really not thinking of us when they dress—they’re thinking of their peers. I’m guessing, I think they may be taking pride in their bodies. But whatever the reason, I believe young people learn and grow by making their own decisions. We may do a double-take, but I try very hard to admire their freedom of choice and expression.

At my last book club we were discussing judging by appearance. Two of us revealed our shallow 18-year-old beliefs: a friend said she’d only date a football player and I said, at 18, that I wouldn’t go out with any guy who didn’t have long hair. We discussed how appearance often is a part of one’s cultural and political philosophy.

I try very hard to remember to “live, and let live.”
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 09-25-2021, 01:45 PM

I think it is about attention-seeking more than anything else, for that age range anyway. Each generation had its own thing.

We had a Grade 2 student last week basically wear a top that came to a couple of inches below her breasts. That's on mom.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 09-25-2021, 03:24 PM

I don't really ever understand why women are perfectly willing to be objectified by men so long as they're getting attention. I thought it was stupid when I was in college and I still do. It doesn't offend me from a moral standpoint, though. It just makes me sad for women who feel that sexuality is all they have to offer.

That doesn't mean that I object to women ever showing some skin. I've just always thought that there's a way to do it that comes off classy and there's a way to do it that comes off trashy. Back when I had a body that was worthy of showing off, my rule was that it can be a short skirt, or it can be a plunging neckline, or it can be a skin-tight fit, or it can be a bare midriff but if it's all of the above it looks trashy and desperate.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 09-25-2021, 03:55 PM

I think it has less to do with style and more to do with getting attention.

bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-25-2021, 04:12 PM

I agree about the attention getting piece of some clothing styles.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

it's appalling
Old 09-25-2021, 04:23 PM

cowboy boots have got to go. Any boots for that matter. They have no pride.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-25-2021, 07:02 PM

I think it's really, really unfortunate that we still judge women so harshly by how they dress. Who cares if a woman wants to show her nipples. Who cares if her butt cheeks are hanging out. If she wants to dress that way and feels good about herself, then more power to her. I do think so much of it is cultural and generational, but talking about clothing is almost always about women and how others perceive their choices, and I find that so disheartening. Because it's so utterly subjective. Oh no - her ankles are showing! Oh no - her skirt is above her knees! Oh no - she has no sleeves! I mean, really? How is it that our moral character is somehow tied to how we dress? And how is it that for so long how women dress has been dictated by how men perceive them and react to them. Isn't there something really wrong with that?

Sorry - off my soapbox. This is just something I've really struggled with as my dd has grown (I've always dressed very conservatively and she definitely does not).
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 09-26-2021, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Who cares if a woman wants to show her nipples. Who cares if her butt cheeks are hanging out.
That’s just obscene.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 09-26-2021, 06:56 AM

I agree with sbkangas and amiga13. Americans have hangups about female bodies. So much so that nursing women have to hide. Spend time raising sons to respect women and control themselves and less time wanting to control women in all aspects of their lives.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 09-26-2021, 07:58 AM

Men get judged for their fashion choices, too. I've certainly heard plenty of ridicule about baggy jeans with boxers showing, tattooes, piercings, man-buns and mullets.... The difference is that they are rarely judged to be sexually immoral because of their choices. But, of course, because our society doesn't assign as much value to male sexual attractiveness, their "objectional" choices are not generally about being overtly sexually provocative, unless they're in a situation that everyone agrees is mostly about sex. (Gay bars, male stripper joints, etc.) And, of course, our society has never objected to sexual immorality from men, either. In fact, it would appear that we admire it.

Context has a lot to do with what I think is okay. If you're going to a festival where you know some people will be skyclad or to a beach where you know nudity or toplessness is allowed, that's one thing. But when I take my 7-year-old GS to a community beach with a playground in the early afternoon, I don't want to have to explain to a mortified child that some people do think it's okay to let their butt cheeks hang out at the beach.

On the other hand, at my GS's last cross-country meet, I heard some older woman complaining about how short one of the girl's team's uniform shorts were. It looked to me as though they were standard 3" running shorts and the boys were wearing the same thing. I thought that was a ridiculous complaint. I'm fine with 3" running shorts on a cross-country course, but I don't care to see them in the classroom.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 09-26-2021, 10:25 AM

Agree Tori!

I didn’t know what 3” running shorts were so I looked them up. They are not bad at all. Wish I could have handed them out to a few yesterday!

I do not think mothers need to hide when nursing! That’s a mother’s job!

Do we want to see guys penis hanging out all over during a football game?

Lottalove

I totally think it is generational
Old 09-26-2021, 04:54 PM

I am in my mid 50s now so my college years were the mid 80s. We wore plenty of things that were tiny and/or see through. I went to college in Lake Country of the Bible belt. It was hot and humid in the summers and we went to the lake at every opportunity. Every body at any given size wore two piece swimwear. One piece suits were hard to find.

Most of my friends and I also went braless for all four years and beyond. Between Flashdance style sweatshirts and Ts or the preppy double polos or double tank tops, we didn't think we needed them... I had shorts and swimsuits that were practically see through and never thought a lot about it. (P.S. My mom made those shorts and picked the material.)

I have an older SDD who was a teen in late 90's, I didn't always agree with everything she wanted to wear either... In her class, some of the most modestly dressed were the biggest hoes in school... Like they had something to prove.

In the 60s, my mom and her sisters had tiny little miniskirts and dresses that barely covered their hoo-has.

And all that to say, my youngest, DD26, went through the Grunge stage from ages 14-18. I remember begging her to wear something lighter and more fitting...

I too might do a double take at some clothes today--sometimes it's shock or curiosity or sometimes it is to admire their bravery.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote