Help

Fourth Grade

Literature circles

>

Teacherbee_4

Literature circles
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you do literature circles/book groups/book club/novel groups (whatever you call them) in your room? I'm talking about in terms of how you have them show you they read. I have done bullet points before and I have done specific questions.

I'm wondering if there are other ways. Does anyone have any generic questions that book groups could answer each day? I also want them to be having discussions, so any idea of how their discussions can be documented?

Thanks!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Literature Circles
Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The attached document has many different features. You will need to pick and choose which ones you want to use for each chapter in the book your students are reading. Some things can be used all the time, while others fit better at the end of the book. Just cut and paste them into a document for each chapter.

It has:
--two different ways to make a prediction for the next chapter.
--one way to comment about the chapter title.
--one way to give the chapter a title.
--reader's feeling.
--character's feelings.
--three questions about what has been read that will be asked to the members of the group when the literature circle meets. (I encourage students to write higher level questions that will be meat for discussion.)
--vocabulary.
--summarizing.
--tell me more.
--connections.
--author's purpose.
--lesson or theme.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Literature Circles #2.doc (32.0 KB, 217 views)
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks so much! :)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much! I can't wait to check this out! I'm love learning what others do with literature circles, so please keep the ideas coming!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Literature Circles
Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In your original post, you also mentioned specific questions. You might also want to write two or three of these for each chapter...the kind of questions where it takes a lot of thought and time to answer...not just a few words or a sentence or two. I would not have your students answer all three of them...maybe just one of the three...they can choose. Then they could switch papers and read what another classmate wrote or you could put one or two on the overhead/make copies so other students can see the thinking of their classmates.

You might also want to think of some response type questions for when students finish a book. Maybe they could work with a partner to complete a Venn diagram poster about two characters in the book.

If they have read several books, they could choose two characters from two different books, or two different characters from a book they read and a book you read aloud to the class.

Besides the Venn diagram, they could also do a compare/contrast poster about two books/characters/settings, or a fact/opinion poster with a partner.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

bgsu99

Lit circle
Old 11-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for sharing- this is great. I've also struggled with effectively being able to implement lit circles in fourth grade. When I taught sixth grade I didn't have problems but my fourth graders seem to struggle at times. I think this format gives great directions. I think I will try it after break.

bgsu99 is offline   Reply With Quote