Help

Classroom Management

"My tummy hurts..." and other common excuses

>

I'mnew@this

"My tummy hurts..." and other common excuses
Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm hoping some of you can help a 1st year teacher out with this one! I work with very low ESL students and they are using excuses like these to get out of work, A LOT:

"my tummy/head/chest/arm/leg/bones (?) hurt"
"I'm hungry" (right after free breakfast or snack recess or lunch)
"I'm bored"

How do you respond, after of course you've figured out that there's nothing wrong? I don't want to dismiss their complaint, and have them think I don't listen or care about them But for the most part, they just want to get out of whatever assignment they're working on.

I'mnew@this is offline   Reply With Quote

mshunny

Old 02-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When my students complain about something hurting I ask them if they can wait a little bit and see how it feels before I send them to the nurse. They usually forget about whatever is hurting them and never ask to see the nurse. A lot of times they just want reassurance that they will be ok. Many times they just want a little attention.
mshunny is offline   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

depends...
Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'll try the lets wait and see, tell them to get a good long drink of water, put their head down for a couple of minutes, if it's the tummy, tell them to pull the garbage can by their desk and if they have to use it , use it!
Good luck, they can be sooo tricky and devious, but at least for the most part they are transparent!
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sometimes all they need is a drink of water, a peppermint, or just a chance to get up and walk for a minute.

For the frequent complainers, I'll often ask them if they can wait a minute until I finish with something. Sometimes I'll ask them to wait five minutes. Usually they don't ask again.

I've pretty much always got something hurting--old age stinks--so sometimes when they say, "My ____ hurts" I end up telling them something I have that hurts. Today I told one frequent complainer that if he'd work harder on his assignment it would take his mind off his aches & pains.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach'n'Learn

Old 02-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For the sickies, I always ask if they think they can wait X # of minutes because I really want them to experience whatever lesson we're doing(depends on kid and situation). I try to say it with as much empathy and "I know you're a tough cookie and can do it" tone as I can. Usually they want to live up to the challenge and go back to work. If they're really sick, they'll remember to ask again in a few minutes.

I'm hungry kids get a "Oh, I'm so sorry! I'll bet you remember to bring a bigger snack/lunch tomorrow, right?"

"I'm bored" get a shocked "Wow, you're finished with all your work and have worked on every folder center and read all the books in the library? I'm amazed! I'll go next door and ask Miss X (a higher grade teacher) if she has any centers or reading books for you." At that point, they usually remember something in our class that needs doing.

Teach'n'Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

TerryT

Old 02-11-2008, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had a student last year who often used the "My tummy/legs/head,etc hurt routine to get out of doing class work and would really play it up.
One day, after too many of these episodes I suddenly announced an outdoor free time and had everyone line up quickly. I told this student that since he was unwell he should stay inside and rest.I arranged for the teacher next door to watch him, and we headed outside. He came up to me and said "I am feeling better now....". "Sorry," I said, "it wouldn't be a good idea for you to go out under the circumstances..."!
TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote

I'mnew@this

Such great ideas!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've been trying the "let's wait X minutes" response lately, but I was curious what others have tried.

Unfortunately we have a really low-poverty school, so if a student is complaining that he's hungry most likely its because he is. But it just blows my mind when they say "I'm hungry" ten minutes after snack recess (where they get a free snack).

TerryT...that story is too funny! I bet that boy thought long and hard the next time he pulled the "My X hurts" routine.
I'mnew@this is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderteachnc

Terry T
Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use the same tactics all the time. It is amazing how "no recess" can cure most ailments!
kinderteachnc is offline   Reply With Quote

K-T

motion sickness
Old 02-16-2008, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My class is up a set of stairs. My frequent complainer told me the week that she has motion sickness when she walks down the stairs so she could not go to reading group! Too bad you have to go down the stairs to get to lunch and recess too!

I have a mini fridge in my room and keep a supply of ice packs in it. The kids get up and get them all the time (a bit annoying) but it has stopped some of the frequently "injured" students from going down to the nurse.
K-T is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

hugs
Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

cure most of mine!

mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

first aid
Old 02-16-2008, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

band-aids, the cheapest ones I can find. hand lotion--unsented peppermint candy, gold fish crackers and other cheap crackers, only a couple, no recess, ice packs, water bottles by the side of their desk, with the pop up lids,
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-16-2008, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

How could I forget the "drawer of stuff"???

I have band-aids, lotion, mirror, and baby wipes out all the time. I keep a couple of ice packs in the freezer, along with a couple of small bottles of water. In my special stash I have cough drops, saline solution, "female" items, hand sanitizer, hair elastics, small boxes of cereal, safety pins, gauze & tape, alcohol, chapstick, aloe . . . you get the idea. I can pretty much fix all the minor things they like to run to the office for.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

munchbug

What can I do to help?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When my students have a complaint like these my response is, "What can I do to help?" Most students don't expect this response. If they come up with an appropriate response then I respond with, "I really would like to help you right now, but the rest of the class is waiting and ready for ... can you wait 10 minutes and then we'll see what we can do?" The majority of the time the ailment will have passed.
munchbug is offline   Reply With Quote

tiggerchyck

Cold Wet Paper Towel
Old 04-01-2008, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I always tell my students to get a cold damp paper towel to place on whatever is hurting. This is normally enough to make them stop hurting.
tiggerchyck is offline   Reply With Quote

coolbeans

It's amazing
Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

what a wet paper towel will do!
coolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
violinista

violinista

Love and Logic
Old 04-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I use love and logic to deal with students who complain. If you ask young students to wait out their "problems" they will say no almost always. Check out love and logic because you can briefly let the student know that they have a problem then move on. After a couple weeks of this reaction they will not bother you anymore unless it is an emergency. Saves lots of time.