Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Target Annoyance

>

Savvy

Target Annoyance
Old 10-15-2020, 04:54 PM

If you frequent Target, does this happen to you...

This past weekend, I went to target and bought a new lunch tote. One thing that rubbed me the wrong way was that the cashier opened up my tote and rummaged through it. This particular tote came with a couple of pieces of Tupperware, but that is not new. There is also a sticker with a picture of what is included on the front of the bag. The Tupperware is light so I know the bag didn't feel heavy or suspicious. I must admit...I did speak up while she was digging and said, "This bag comes with tupperware." and the cashier replied that she knew that it did.

I said all of that to ask, does this happen to you? How does it make you feel? Something similar happened to a friend of mine today, so maybe I'm hypersensitive at this point.

Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 10-15-2020, 04:58 PM

I don't know that it's specific to Target? I've had this happen with purses, luggage, rubbermaid containers, etc. at a variety of retailers. I think it's just standard practice for retailers.
Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 10-15-2020, 05:03 PM

Itís no reflection on you.

Iím sure that cashiers are instructed to look through things like that due to theft issues. I have two family members who are retail workers. My dh has been in retail for almost 30 years. It would shock you to know the lengths some folks would go to to steal things.
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-15-2020, 05:09 PM

I haven't bought a lunch tote that came with things inside, but I know cashiers tend to do that when you buy ANYTHING in which other stuff can go inside. They just want to make sure no one's stealing. I don't take any personal offense to it.

I know they do that with shoes. They open the box and they're also making sure each shoe is the same size, but I think that's they're perfect little excuse and it's mainly to make sure the buyer didn't hide anything in the shoebox. They unzip purses when you buy them too.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

pitachips

Try to not take it personally.....
Old 10-15-2020, 05:10 PM

Ages ago, I use to work at Woolworth's to help make ends meet while in college. Since we were in a high-theft area, if we were working on the cashier line, we were instructed to always double check lunch boxes, bags, etc. for stray items. Thankfully, the vast majority of our customers were honest. But there would always be a few.

When I would be questioned, I'd put a positive spin on it along the lines of "I know is says it comes with items, I'm just double checking for you, because I'd hate for you to have to make a second trip back because you were missing a piece or there was a defective lid on the thermos." When it was put like that, most people actually were glad I was checking, because there would also be times we'd find included items *were* missing, so we were able to fix problems then and there. (But there would be times we'd also find lipstiicks and nail polish shoved inside thermoses, silk scarves hidden in purses, etc...)

As I've gotten older, I try not to take things personally if I am in stores and have had security check up on me/follow me/etc. Shoplifting, sadly, is still an issue and it effects the prices of goods that we pay for.

pitachips is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 10-15-2020, 05:15 PM

Any cashier at any store searches the purse or bag I'm buying. They take out the stuffing and peek inside. I know that it's store policy and nothing directed at me. It's never bothered me.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

thanks everyone
Old 10-15-2020, 05:18 PM

What I hear you all saying is, "don't take it personally...it's normal." It makes me feel really crummy even though I know I didn't do anything wrong, but I trust what you all have said.

Thanks.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 10-15-2020, 05:19 PM

Like another poster stated....most stores will unzip totes, purses, backpacks, etc. to check to make sure nothing is inside that shouldnít be. Itís been like that since forever.

In regards to Target...my younger daughter works there part-time. Almost every time she works she has a story to tell of someone trying to walk-off with something. In one day a few weeks ago, there were two incidents where people were trying to steal items from the baby department. They were using a piece of baby equipment to try to sneak out with several items but got caught. The stories my daughter comes home with about theft.....people are downright brazen. I also suspect there is more theft since so many people have lost their jobs and are desperate.
gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Lisa
Old 10-15-2020, 05:48 PM

I used to work at a store. We were required to Look InSide Always.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-15-2020, 05:56 PM

I've had that happen with just about any bag I buy. When I was a cashier, I was trained to do that for all bags as well.

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-15-2020, 06:02 PM

I've had this happen with anything I buy that opens (purses, boxes of shoes, other bags, etc.) I'm sure it's policy and they have to do it. I've never taken it personally.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 10-15-2020, 07:15 PM

I have a part-time job in retail. Cashiers get written up if they get caught NOT looking inside bags and containers.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

They probably donít like doing it
Old 10-16-2020, 02:47 AM

Any more than you like them doing it.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Donít be offended
Old 10-16-2020, 05:47 AM

This is a requirement. Stores have secret shoppers that go through cashiers lines to see if they are actually doing this. I love it when they toss all the paper stuffed inside items.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Yep-standard practice around here
Old 10-16-2020, 06:24 AM

for Target, Walmart and other places.

Even as a customer, I always precheck items like that just in case. I learned that early on--

Once my mom was looking at purses to buy one for herself. When she opened it to look at the interior, it was full of items. We were guessing that someone loaded it up and then chickened out or something.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

tote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:32 AM

It is standard practice around here for cashiers to empty new bags of packing paper, and to check for any "misplaced" inventory. I would be surprised if they didn't, since there is so much theft in retail.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 10-16-2020, 07:33 AM

My son was head of security at a Target. You would be surprised at what people do--exchange an inexpensive small appliances for high end ones by swapping boxes, put items in a bedspread/comforter/sheet package, hide cards in magazines/books, use strollers with kids in them to hide things, etc. Like others have said, the cashiers are asked to check things.
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Speaking of looking into purses
Old 10-16-2020, 03:21 PM

Many years ago I purchased an expensive leather clutch. Inside was a small change purse that looked like it was part of the purse. The cashier looked in the purse and saw it too. Later that night I discovered that the small change purse was a stand alone product. It had a price tag. I was too far away to go back and return it. That little change purse was 30.00. I have no idea who would have paid that much for a coin holder.

Last edited by hiker1; 10-16-2020 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: added more
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote