Help

Retired Teachers

Covid vaccine status

>

musiclover

Covid vaccine status
Old 01-01-2021, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My good friend and I got our first shots yesterday. We live in Florida, but more specifically, Orange County. Shots were available to those 65 and over. We had to register online and that started on Tuesday afternoon. It was challenging to get the registration done, with website crashing and freezing. We refused to give up. I think it took me five tries but I am fairly tech-savvy.

The vaccine process itself was seamless. We went to a central location, had to check in numerous times, stayed in the car, and got our shots. In and out it took less than an hour. We couldn't have been happier with the entire process.

I don't like our governor and feel that he has mishandled all of the decisions related to Covid-19. Before I get too political I will also say that I feel strongly that teachers should have gone ahead of me. And, all healthcare workers and first responders. I was going to wait until much later but my son told me to get my shots now. He was right.

I know that some states haven't started the vaccinations yet. I also know that most of Florida has a chaotic system of first-come, first-serve for older folks to sit in a line all day.

I feel very blessed to know that I have some of the vaccine in me and probably will not get Covid. My second shot is scheduled for late January.

If you live in other states, what is your experience?

musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

In NJ...
Old 01-01-2021, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The phases are labeled 1a, 1b, 1c, and Phase 2. Right now, front line workers and nursing home residents are getting the shot. The supply is less than they expected, so that group is still in process. The 1b group includes essential workers, first responders, police, fire etc. and people over 75.The third group is the one I will be in, group 1c. It is for those over 65, those with co-morbidities of other ages, and more. Phase 2 is the general public. I am waiting patiently till it is my turn, but it looks like it will be awhile. I'm okay with that because I am scheduled to take the second shingles shot the first week in February, and I would like to get that over with. If the Covid shot is available to me before then, I will take the Covid first because the shingles shot has a period of several months during which I can finish that series.

I am no fan of your governor either, but I am glad that you were able to take advantage of getting the shot. One more step closer to normalcy...
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 01-01-2021, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our tier 2 hasnít begun yet. No one, not even my physician knows the process for getting vaccine. Heís frustrated.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

NancyLee

Massachusetts
Old 01-01-2021, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Vaccine Rollout:
Phase 1 (Dec-Feb): Healthcare workers, long term care/nursing home residents, police/fire/EMT, prisons, shelters, Visiting Nurse and other home-based healthcare workers
Phase 2 (Feb-Apr): Individuals with 1+ comorbidities, teachers, transit, grocery, utility, sanitation, public works, public health, over 65 years of age
Phase 3 (Apr-Jun): General Public
NancyLee is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

vaccine
Old 01-01-2021, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I feel very blessed to know that I have some of the vaccine in me and probably will not get Covid. My second shot is scheduled for late January.
I'm sure you have been made aware by your provider that it typically takes a few weeks for the body to build immunity after vaccination, and that masking and caution continue to be required.

Where I am, it will still take at least 4-6 weeks before it is my turn, if not longer. I am a big baby when it comes to injections, but I will do this vaccination.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 01-01-2021, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I’m in Florida as well, Volusia County. They are going to have a drive up, first come, first served on Monday and Tuesday. I don’t know why they couldn’t do it by appointment. My dh is going to try to get it.

I’m not happy with how Florida is handling it either.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

I am fortunate
Old 01-01-2021, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I work in the hospital coffee shop. I was able to get the Moderma vaccine. Second dose is late January. I hope the vaccine distribution gets fast tracked so all can get inoculated.
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-01-2021, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This news astounds me. I think the vaccine is ages away for me. The way I understand it frontline workers and elderly + carers in group homes are first. I read that ďseniorĒ is 73+, so Iím thinking itís going to be a long time for those of us in the 65-72 group. Iím happy for you, but Iím also quite jealous that youíre so lucky.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 01-01-2021, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am not exactly sure when I will be able to receive it. Right now healthcare workers, EMTís, etc. are first. I believe they are going to do nursing home patients next as well as teachers, then those 75 or older. I tried to look up the plan online, but got nowhere. I am hoping I will be able to mine by April or so.

I personally think it is questionable to let the general public get the vaccine before healthcare workers and other essential workers. Just my opinion, though.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 01-01-2021, 10:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am in group 1B and there are about 515,425 people ahead of my group in Los Angeles County. I estimate it will be near the end of January.

sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

vaccine
Old 01-02-2021, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

In Ohio, I fall into the 65+ and those with underlying health issues (I think). The rollout has been very confusing .Vaccines are still being given to nursing homes and teachers (thank goodness!!) which I believe was the second tier after healthcare workers and essential front line, so we may be next or right after ! I'm hoping January/February. But we had an Aetna home health visit last week and she did not even know!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

I have no health issues
Old 01-02-2021, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

But the time for 65 year olds is probably February. Prisoners, health care workers, teachers have all received vaccinations. I want the vaccine but it will be awhile. I am in too perfect health to receive it sooner.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
grand memi

grand memi

Jan. 4th
Old 01-02-2021, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My group, 65 and older, starts in my area on Jan. 4th. They estimate it will take anywhere from 8-12 weeks to vaccinate everyone my group.

In my area, I am in group 1b. If I lived in a different state, I'd be in group 1c, having to wait longer.

Sam5

Old 01-02-2021, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am just under 60, in good health, and retired. I doubt I will be able to get the vaccine until late spring or early summer. From what I can tell, I am pretty much last in the list. It is frustrating to me, but I am trying to be patient. My husband is in the same boat as me.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 01-02-2021, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Iím just over 60 and retired. In good health but a two time cancer survivor. Probably not until summer for me. One hope though is my doctor is in another county and her hospital system is going based on medical records. Sheís been my doctor for over 20 years. Iím seeing her in February and I hope she can add me to the list based on medical history. But if not, itíll be a wait.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 01-02-2021, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Kaiser text me (for my mom) and gave detailed instructions what we are to do but she already tested positive and is in assisted living. The facility is waiting for instructions.

I myself will be dead last because right now I have a lot of anti bodies in me from my severe case. i will be donating plasma in the very near future.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: vaccine
Old 01-03-2021, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Good morning to all-

Since I live in the Great State of Alabama, there has been no information about when, where, and how folks will get the vaccine. We have heard that SOME front line workers and a few folks in care facilities have gotten shots, but the rest of us- not a word.
Leaving the vaccine delivery to 50 states was yet another example of the soon to be gone administration's very bad lack of planning. This should be a federal program- maybe National Guard or regular military in charge of setting up schedules, locations, and personnel to deliver the vaccine- after all, it's a national problem.
I want the vaccine badly, and to be honest, I really do need it to help prevent me catching a disease that will likely kill me. But we have no information forthcoming.

Frustrating.

good day to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Vaccine roll out
Old 01-03-2021, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My state is similar to ones mentioned previously - it's been a little slow, so they are still working on healthcare workers, staff and residents of long care health facilities, and first responders. The next group is people with higher risk and/or underlying conditions and adults in congregate settings. I'm not sure if I would be included in this group because although I have hypertension, it is controlled with medication. I think I will be with the general public in group 4. Group 3 is people in other critical essential infrastructure settings - it's my understanding that teachers will be included in Group 3.

I really hope that things began to move faster. This shouldn't have been left up to the states. I know in a county next to mine, people who qualified shared the appointment link with family and friends and those people signed up for appointments, but were turned away since they didn't qualify. Too many people trying to jump the line - but I'm glad that the health department is on top of that.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Also
Old 01-03-2021, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

part of the problem is this:

"So far, 2.6 million vaccines have been allocated nationwide, falling short of the 20 million promised by the end of the year."

That's only 13% of what was supposed to be sent. Logistics are important and this needs to be addressed on a national level.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

vaccines
Old 01-03-2021, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My DD has to travel a lot for her work, and this past week she was in Montana in a small town near Glacier National Park. For her work she visits hospitals and research clinics, and they told her that there was so much vaccine available that anyone could just walk in and get vaccinated. Apparently lots of people there do not want the vaccine, so public health officials have been encouraging walk-ins without priority. DD said she was tempted to get it too, but wondered whether she would be back in the area in time for the second injection.

A doctor friend who works with a group of senior living/assisted living facilities in New England told us that 40% of the staff in those facilities refuses to get vaccinated, and they can't be forced to do so. So he is making sure that the elderly are all vaccinated as soon as possible.

A doctor friend up in the Bay Area texted me today and said it's a mess where she is, but she did get her first vaccination 2 weeks ago. She says they hope that most people at higher risk will be vaccinated by summer, which seems to me pretty unacceptable.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 01-03-2021, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My best friend's 3 daughters back east have all been vaccinated but they are all first responders working in hospitals as well as their husbands too . Apparently the distribution is going well for first responders

When I was in line for my ct scan at the hospital there were three doctors in line from surrounding areas waiting to be injected with the vaccine. At least in my area the local hospitals seem to be the command post for receiving the vaccine.

I spoke with both my cousins in Germany and Austria and they said those countries will be rolling the vaccine out next week. They feel the exact same way you all do except they believe the vaccine will be bought "to jump the line." . They do not blame their leaders because of the uncertainty of it all and they agree with the pecking order. They shared with me that it was a bit presumptuous to actually believe that the general population will be vaccinated before spring or even summer.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I am thinking almost anyone
Old 01-06-2021, 12:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

could get one as of tonight. When the vaccine 1st got here, there were groups who got 1st pick: medical personnel and nursing homes.
Maybe people turned it down and a lot was left....IDK
Then I heard of some1 I knew did not qualify who got one. I asked her about it and she told me now all you need is to do is go to a walk in clinic and have a dr write you a note. ( Walk in clinics here are mostly in this game for the $$.)
Then the pharmacy can give you the shot.
My bro got it today. My dad's going to get it tomorrow. I think my bro said you had to fill out something online b/c he was telling my dad about it. ( I was listening a bit from speaker phone.)
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote