Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

vaccination

>

nucleus

vaccination
Old 01-04-2021, 11:23 AM

I just had to declare if I wanted the Covid 19 vaccination or not. This declaration was just to get an approximate number for my district (I don't think vaccines are available for us until spring anyway). I can always change my mind to no, but I said yes. I'm so on the fence. I said yes because I believe that this is what is needed to help get us back to normal and I have two people in my life that are very high risk, but I'm so worried about what I'm putting in my body. I'm worried about adverse effects years from now.

What is are you thinking about doing and do you have a reason why?

nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

me too
Old 01-04-2021, 11:27 AM

I also had to fill out a survey declaring whether I would take the vaccine if provided to me at school. I said yes. I have been very uneasy about it because I have seizure disorder. From what I have read, the benefits outweigh the risk even for me. I am more afraid of catching covid and not doing well than I am of taking the vaccine. I also want to be able to travel as soon as Japan welcomes Americans. That will be a long time, but I want to be ready. I'm so emotional about this vaccine and traveling that I am tearing up as I type.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 01-04-2021, 11:45 AM

I am retired and will have to wait for my age group to come up. I will get it as soon as I can! I have much more faith in science than I do in conspiracy theories and the kind of people who blindly believe those. I would like to have my life back and do the things I love with the people I love and/or like. I'm much more afraid of this pandemic continuing than the vaccine.

A friend called yesterday and asked if I would drive her to get her vaccine. Our county has announced the first clinic for those 75 and over will be on Friday. She makes the cut. She has always been nervous about many things. She is afraid she'll be so shaken by the shot she won't be able to drive home. I'm younger and in another phase of distribution.

I'm happy to help her although I think it's funny she's not afraid to be in a closed car with me. Our county has not told us any details about how the vaccine will be distributed. Does she need an appointment? How many people can receive it on Friday? Walk through or drive up? If Friday will be like the free-for-all circus in Florida where people waited four to 14 hours for vaccine, my friend may have to wait a while. Supposedly, this information will be announced before Friday.

Too bad we've had no national policy and guidance on vaccine distribution, just as the current administration provided no national policy on containing the Pandemic. The last four years has certainly been about every man for himself. Some kinds of people like that.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 01-04-2021, 11:59 AM

Iím getting it as soon as I can and so is dh.

If you think about it we are exposed to things everyday that have known and unknown negative effects on us. The ingredients in shampoo, nail polish, hair coloring, processed food, lunch meat, pesticides, fertilizer, and so many more products could cause us harm.

Iím not worried about what is in the vaccine and Iím pretty careful about what is put in my body. I eat organic when I can, not much processed food, no lunch meat or fried food. I donít use hair coloring, hair spray, or powder.

This vaccine will allow me to travel and see my family. It will allow me to help my sister with my mom. My sister will be under less strain, my mom will have a better quality of life when she sees more people and can get out.

It canít come soon enough for me.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Christi508

Mass Chaos
Old 01-04-2021, 12:19 PM

I will get it but... here in Florida it is mass chaos...health care workers and age 65 and over are first (Even if you are not residents!)...with no good plan. I am not in either of those categories, so I will wait.

Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 01-04-2021, 12:22 PM

At first, I was very hesitant. Warp Speed by Trump doesn't instill confidence. Then I thought about it and realized that the scientists were developing this, not Trump.

I have faith in science. I want to help end the pandemic. I will get the vaccine when it is available for my age group.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Yes
Old 01-04-2021, 12:43 PM

I am older. I am more concerned right now about what will happen if I were to get Covid than I am about possible long-term effects from a vaccine. I want my life to return to normal as soon as possible. I trust the experts I have seen, the opinion of my own doctors, and the science.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 01-04-2021, 12:59 PM

Like so many others I want to take the vaccine to get my life back. I miss people, friends and loved ones. But I probably will not be able to get it until late spring or summer.
Iím retired, but saw a lawyer on ABC today who said that a workplace can make receiving the vaccine mandatory for employees. The only exceptions could possibly be similar to what we have for students with regular childhood vaccines, medical or religious waiver.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-04-2021, 01:15 PM

I wish I could have the vaccine some of you donít want. Iíd get it in a heartbeat.

I had to see a doctor this morning (another issue) and her prediction for me (65+) to get vaccinated is ďSpring.Ē I trust Kaiser to notify me when itís my turn and I will remain cautious until then.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Today
Old 01-04-2021, 01:21 PM

I got the vaccination today as I am over 75. I have stay home except for necessary trips (grocery) and drive thru trips since March 23. I live alone and as desperate to get out. Unhappily, the second shot is not until February 1, so I am thinking I may not really be free to go places until March 1.

I repeat: I am desperate!

Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 01-04-2021, 01:39 PM

I'm struggling with this decision for myself. I do think the vaccine is reasonably safe. Of course there is always the risk of some crazy side effect long term, but I think that risk is low. I skip the flu vaccine, though, because I had a bad reaction several years ago. My arm swelled from my shoulder to my elbow and was hot and red for about a week. I'm afraid of having a bad reaction again.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 01-04-2021, 02:29 PM

While I have no illusions about things ever going back to normal, Iíll gladly take the vaccine. I donít have concerns about long-term consequences.
Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

Bella Flower

vaccine
Old 01-04-2021, 02:38 PM

Due to my age, I will take the vaccine as soon as it is available for my age group.
Bella Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-04-2021, 02:41 PM

yes, i will take it. here in idaho, teachers and essential workers (husband--grocery--thank god!) are supposed to receive the vaccine in february. last week they started vaccinating elderly in residence facilities.

i have faith in doctors and scientists, but i'll be honest: i'm glad we're not getting the vaccine FIRST.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 01-04-2021, 03:09 PM

This weekend I was listening to This American Life. Their episode ďBoulder v. HillĒ from December 18 has a segment talking to several of the scientists who developed the vaccine. You can listen here if you interested: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/727/boulder-v-hill

I thought it was interesting that the only reason they were able to develop the vaccine so quickly was because of the years of research that had already happened. When you think of it that way, it wasnít really so fast.

There may be effects from the vaccine, however there are definitely effects from COVID. Even people with mild cases have damage to their organs. We have no idea what will happen long term with people who have been infected.

I will take my chances with a vaccine!
Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Vaccine
Old 01-04-2021, 03:11 PM

We also received an email today asking if we want the vaccine so the health department knows how many to order.

I have to admit I hesitated for a moment before I filled in yes. I want this whole COVID thing to end, and Iím more than willing to do my part. I think the ďWhat ifs?Ē hit me and made me think twice before marking yes.

Honestly, the what ifís have been running through my mind quite a bit lately so Iím not really surprised by this.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-04-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
What are you thinking about doing and do you have a reason why?
I'll be getting the vaccine with no reservations at all.

#1. I want to have a sense of security about my health and knowing the vaccine is so effective will give me that security.
#2. I don't want my family to have to worry about caring for me should I get COVID. They have busy lives and need to take care of themselves.
#3. It's important to me that I do my part to prevent the spread of COVID for the 'greater good' of others.

I can't wait to get this vaccine!
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-04-2021, 03:35 PM

I'll be getting the vaccine as soon as it's offered to me. Teachers were "moved up" from where we were previously on the list, and there is hope that we may start receiving emails to schedule as early as this week. The county my district is in already had a plan for teachers, so it seems we're also ahead of many other districts. I'll be watching my email like a hawk!

I have 0 reservations about getting it. While this specific vaccine is new, the technology has been studied for years. All of the experts have said that you have a far greater chance of having a severe reaction to getting covid-19 vs. having a reaction to the vaccine.

Someone in my book club also works for the state health department. She says there isn't enough and they're already way behind on where they wanted to be with doses. So basically, get it at your first opportunity because you may not get another chance if your plan is "wait and see."
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Phyllis
Old 01-04-2021, 04:06 PM

I will get the vaccine as soon as I can but it looks like I'll be waiting til spring, even though I'm over 65.

Last edited by anabel12; 01-04-2021 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: misread something.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 01-04-2021, 04:08 PM

After reading up on the science behind mRNA vaccines, I really have no reservations at all. I will get the vaccine as soon as I am eligible.

I've seen all kinds of social media posts ranting on about why we spent all this money on a COVID vaccine and not on cancer research when cancer kills more people. The truth is that we spend A LOT of money on cancer research and advances in cancer immunotherapy research is precisely why they were able to develop a mRNA vaccine so quickly.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

musiclover

Already did it
Old 01-04-2021, 04:43 PM

I got my first shot last week, as I am in the over 65 category in my state. I had no hesitation, was actually very excited and grateful to get the vaccine. I do think that teachers should get to go before the rest of us, and I've stated that to everyone I know.

Although I am retired, I have several teacher friends who have gotten Covid. One of them died, leaving behind a child she had adopted as a single mom. Now that child is an orphan.

Teachers are exposed to more germs and more illnesses than almost anyone in the general population. I was so sick at least twice every school year and haven't been sick one time since retiring. You must also know that some parents will not tell the truth when it comes to their child's health and/or exposure to Covid. I see parents on social media who are taking their children everywhere - and I mean everywhere - and socializing with other children regularly. It scares the heck out of me to see how they disregard the science of this virus.

Please put your fears and reservations aside. My son was in the clinical trials for Pfizer and he feels it is completely safe. He also feels that the drug companies have done a great job of monitoring the volunteers who have stepped up to be in the trials.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 01-04-2021, 04:50 PM

I will get the vaccine as soon as I'm able to. I don't reckon I'll be able to get it before September though. I have no reservations at all about getting it. I believe the virologists know what they're doing so if they say it's safe, I reckon it's safe.

My nephew, a volunteer fire fighter in his small town in Alaska, got it a couple of weeks ago. He said it was easier than the flu shot and he had no adverse reactions. He's getting his second shot soon, I can't remember when.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 01-04-2021, 05:07 PM

Yes. I will get the vaccine as soon as I am able.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-04-2021, 05:09 PM

I will probably get the vaccine even though I would rather not. I am sure we won't get it until the spring, if then.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-04-2021, 05:34 PM

I'll will get the vaccine for myself,my family and all those who come in contact with me.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 01-04-2021, 06:10 PM

My husband got the vaccine a week ago and had no trouble.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

vaccine
Old 01-04-2021, 06:28 PM

I have no problems taking vaccines in general, but I would like to see long-term studies done on it's effectiveness and safety first. I also know that other vaccines are being worked on and I feel much more comfortable taking a conventional vaccine.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-04-2021, 08:50 PM

I signed up for the vaccine. We should get them as soon as mid January or as late as March.

Iím considered high risk for a reaction to the vaccine, so I have to take the Moderna vaccine at the hospital, stay for an hour to be observed, and make sure to have two epi-pens with me the rest of the day. My allergist and primary care doctor both agree that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks of a reaction.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

COVID vaccine
Old 01-04-2021, 09:41 PM

I will be glad to get the vaccine as soon as it is my turn. I just wish that could happen today!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 01-05-2021, 07:31 AM

Although many may not come back to read responses, I wanted to put this here anyway. You all have done so much to get rid of my fears. I will now go into this with a greater understanding and less trepidation. Thank you!!!
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Charlotte

Old 01-05-2021, 07:58 AM

I will get the vaccine as soon as I can. Both my primary care physician and rheumatologist got it, and that was enough to convince me it is the right thing to do.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote