The VENT

Facebook work drama

>

iloveglitter2

Facebook work drama
Old 01-05-2021, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So,
Is there a factual way to get rid of co-workers as well as admin from your personal facebook? I am really disappointed in my admin and the drama she is causing. We have a few coworkers and her that are being pretty nasty to the rest of us that don't agree with them on COVID or politics. In my area the cover response is getting pretty heated. I am not one that posts much let alone politically. But, it was brought up today that I follow a page of someone that supports policies that these folks do not support.

I am very tempted to take these folks off facebook. However, I have heard in the past our admin caused grief when someone took her off before.

I am the type that gets along with just about anybody. But, I think it crazy creepy for coworkers and admin to stalk your page to see who you support politically and on hot issues. It is very obvious our admin plays favorites with people to share her point of view.

Any advice on how to deal with this? I don't post a lot on FB. But, I don't like someone just snooping through pages I like to decide if I am a good teacher or not.

iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-05-2021, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would block them all and pretend I knew nothing about it. If you donít feel like you can do that, start a new page with a different name tha work people donít know.

It is your personal account. Work canít require you to have one.

I have unfriendly or blocked people who friended people I donít want on my page.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-05-2021, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I"m not 100 percent sure of the details but some relatives drive me absolutely bonkers. I separate them out into a specific list and block them from seeing 99% of my posts. I'll occasionally throw an innocuous post that they can see so that they don't think I"m off FB entirely. I"m not entirely sure about being able to see my likes though.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-05-2021, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would just block unless you think that she will notice she is blocked. If that's the case, you can put her in a "restricted" category. People who are restricted can only see public posts. They are still your friend and they won't necessarily know they don't see everything you post, especially if you're not a prolific poster anyway.

She would still be able to see your interactions with public posts, though. That would be the case even if you unfriended her. Blocking is the only way to keep her from seeing that you exist.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-05-2021, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can put those folks that irritate you on a restricted list on Facebook. Go to their page, click on the friend icon there, click edit list, check restricted on that drop down list. When someone is on a restricted list they can only see what you post publicly. ... nothing more. They see you're still friends but can't what you post to friends. No one is offended ... no hurt feelings.

Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 01-05-2021, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Put ALL of them on restricted view, and don't say anything to them about it. They won't even know you did it.

Don't go into politics (Covid or otherwise) with anyone you work with, either online or in person. If they bring it up, be vague, neutral, and then change the subject quickly.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 01-05-2021, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ick. Facebook and work donít mix, but I get why sometimes they do. I would hide everything on my profile from them, as well as restricting them from seeing any posts I make on other pages.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Old 01-05-2021, 11:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Block and delete.

No need to have any of them on your personal page. Would you rather keep her/them happy or yourself happy?
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Facebook
Old 01-06-2021, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Or just close your account and take a break. I deleted my account the day after Christmas. It was the best decision. Honestly, Facebook, at least from my point of view, is just everyone bragging about their perfect lives. Facebook was not adding anything positive to my life.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Old 01-06-2021, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was going to suggest what kahluablast did. Set up another FB account. I have a separate FB account that has ďno friendsĒ where I follow different groups (migraines, teaching, planners, etc.).

P.S. I just learned about restricting on FB today.

kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Two pages
Old 01-07-2021, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Set up a separate one for folks you really care about, and let this one go fallow. I did this because my old principal would become LIVID if she wasn't on everyone's page. Change the top pictures 4 times a year, and post a cat meme once every two months.

I just nuked my FB page yesterday.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Ugh
Old 01-07-2021, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would unfollow all of them so you don't see their nonsense on your FB page. Then open a new personal FB account with no coworkers as friends.

It is completely inappropriate that your principal is part of that group.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-07-2021, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Put them in a restricted list. Unfollow them. That way they canít see what you donít want them to see and you donít see them at all. Win-Win
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 01-08-2021, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Good advice from other posters.

I'm still stuck on how unprofessional your principal is acting.
LazyLake is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

I got rid of facebook
Old 01-08-2021, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Best thing I ever did. I do not miss it one bit.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

A long game way
Old 01-09-2021, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I got rid of Facebook and I agree that it was a wonderful solution. It does force you to actually keep correspondence with people to see how they are doing, so I understand if you want to keep it if you have a very busy life.

Here is what I would do if it was really, really important to me and I really, really wanted them never to know they were blocked. You can deactivate your account , tell everyone you deactivated to take a break. Pop back in during the wee hours of the night and save any pictures and videos you want, or start doing that before deactivating.You can see deactivated friends who are still friends in messenger, so they will be able to tell they are not blocked but you are deactivated .

After a few weeks, start a new account and tell family and close friends. Block the culprits and anyone work related first. They will already be used to you being gone. Eventually you can have a FB without them ever knowing. If you leave the other account deactivated and not deleted, they will think you are just deactivated. It is also okay with FB rules to have the new account as long as the old remains deactivated.
CricketSong is online now   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 01-13-2021, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You could custom block all your posts to exclude them. You could unfriend or you could just create a second FB page and only friend who you want....and just stop using the old page. Personally I donít usually friend coworkers unless Iím really close with them or have left(changed jobs)....when I was on leaves I added a few more people.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote