Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

PayPal hacked

>

sevenplus

PayPal hacked
Old 01-09-2021, 11:46 PM

It's 2:30 in the morning and I just get a few emails from Paypal. Someone has changed the phone number and email associated with my Paypal account.

In order to contact the Paypal resolution center, you have to log into your account. Of course I can't do that because the hacker changed the information.

I honestly don't remember if I have a credit card connected to my account and I don't think I ever connected my bank account, so it MAY be okay, but of course I'm worried about fraudulent charges.

I don't keep any funds in the account so maybe they won't be able to do anything?

Any ideas on how to resolve this? I am so irritated.

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

No advice
Old 01-10-2021, 12:53 AM

Is there a phone number you can call?
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 01-10-2021, 01:55 AM

I just googled it, and it may be a spoof email just claiming to have changed your account. Donít click any of the links. Here is a link to PayPal help page. Scroll down and you will see a place that you can message them.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/contact-us
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

I got a call saying my Amazon account was
Old 01-10-2021, 05:01 AM

Hacked. Funny thing is I do not even have an Amazon account. I called my credit cards and none have any Amazon charges. Spam!!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 01-10-2021, 06:34 AM

No advice, but I just hate that scammers do thisó- whether it is fake or real. Scumbags! I hope you get it figured out and that it is nothing.

Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-10-2021, 07:05 AM

I'm pretty sure the emails are real because I am unable to access my account. I'm not clicking any link in the email, though.

They added 2-factor authorization with a new phone number and changed the email address associated with the account.

I can't use any of the contact links on the PayPal site because they all require you to log in which I can't do.

I will try to find a number, but everything I read in a Google search is that the call center isn't open due to COVID and they are impossible to get in touch with.

I keep checking my credit cards since I don't remember if I had one connected. Checking my bank account, too, but the automated banking site was down for maintenance last night.

I hate people.

annie_g

Old 01-10-2021, 07:48 AM

I logged in to mine and got this phone number for you.

1-888-221-1161

Customer Service Hours

6:00 AM PT to 6:00 PM PT Monday through Sunday
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

If you can't
Old 01-10-2021, 08:02 AM

get through to paypal, if you haven't already, I'd call your credit card, tell them what happened and have them freeze your account.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-10-2021, 08:29 AM

Thank you Annie! Now I know I can trust that number.

Calumetteach I wish I knew for sure if I had a cc attached or which one it was. I've only used PayPal like 4 times.

In going to call my bank, too, and see if they know if it's connected to my bank account.

Keltikmom

Paypal
Old 01-10-2021, 09:18 AM

I suspect it’s spam or fishing. Click on the actual email sender and see the full name. Quite often it looks hinky. Do not respond right away.

I get those emails and I do t have a PayPal account.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 01-10-2021, 10:25 AM

I too get these emails at an email address not connected to my PayPal account. I just trash them.
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-10-2021, 10:31 AM

The emails are from service@paypal.com and are confirming the phone number and email that have been added to my account.

I don't think they are phishing emails. I think someone really changed the info and changed my password because I can no longer log in.

I'm not clicking any links just to be on the safe side, but I'm reasonably confident they are legit emails from PayPal about account activity.

sevenplus

Old 01-10-2021, 10:54 AM

The other reason I don't think it us phishing is it isn't asking me to reply. It says if I didn't make the changes to contact PayPal.
msd2

msd2

Old 01-10-2021, 11:56 AM

Look very closely at the email address that it came from. Look carefully at the spelling and grammar in the email. Often times there are small give aways.

google the email address

calumetteach

That's what makes me
Old 01-10-2021, 12:28 PM

suspicious,--that you can't get into your account. I had my personal email hacked 10 years ago and it was so hard to prove I was me. I wish you the best. Have you checked to see if there is activity on your cc?
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-10-2021, 12:35 PM

You can try going to paypalsupport on twitter. Follow it. and send them a direct message.

GraceKrispy

Old 01-10-2021, 12:42 PM

I'm sorry- I hope you are able to get this resolved soon. I'm glad you don't have funds in the account, but I'd watch the CC just in case. I don't use PayPal and I have no idea how to resolve, but I would definitely change any passwords that are the same as the one you had on your PayPal account.

Dh had an easily guessed password and someone hacked into several of his online accounts, including Amazon where they stole my gift card balance and sent it to Ukraine. I called Amazon and the only response was "oh, we'll take that off your account" (meaning that the transaction no longer existed, not that I could recover any of my gift card). Thankfully I had no CC attached at the time.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-10-2021, 01:17 PM

So sorry you are dealing with this! I had the same thing happen with my Apple ID. Thankfully I don't really use Apple products and only had one from when I had an ipad almost 10 years ago now- there was no cc or money attached. The hacker changed the email recovery to their own email, so I can't reset the password. I've never been so grateful to not have an iphone. I googled and read some horror stories about people not being able to use their own phones due to this and Apple basically shrugging their shoulders.

I've heard that you can get a faster response if you contact them on social media- so I'd try Twitter, Instagram, and FB. If you're 100% sure there was no bank account or cc attached, I would't worry too much about it. But if you're not sure, I might contact my bank and let them know that my paypal has been hacked and see if there is any way they can automatically block charges from paypal until you get it under control. IDK if they'll do it, but at least if you let them know up front, if something were to happen I would assume it would make proving the fraud/getting your money back easier.

Reading this prompted me to remove my bank account and cc from paypal! I don't use it often anymore and I don't think it's worth the risk of just having that information sitting there.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-10-2021, 04:32 PM

Thanks all. Tried the phone number and can't get past the automated system. I've tried several attempts and always end with "there is no one that can help you with that at this time." Grrrr.

Can't do the online support because it requires me to log in which is the whole problem in the first place.

Last night I tried messaging on Facebook and got a bot.

Every avenue I've tried redirects me to the online support which is useless to me right now.

I don't have Twitter but I may need to sign up.

I will call my bank and credit card companies tomorrow so hopefully something can go on record ahead of time in case there are transactions.

I'm sure I do need to change some other passwords. I need a good method for creating and memorizing or storing passwords.

annie_g

Old 01-10-2021, 04:36 PM

I would think your credit card has a 24 hour fraud line. I would definitely try calling and having a freeze put on your card until you know if it's linked to your PP account.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Iíve been hacked several times
Old 01-12-2021, 05:03 AM

But both emails have 2 factor authorization which helps a lot. They cannot get into change passwords. My Facebook was hacked so I shut it down. I do not miss it at all.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote