Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Knee replacement

>

Tiamat

Knee replacement
Old 01-11-2021, 01:04 AM

I had total knee replacement on my left knee a week before Christmas. Right now, I'm kinda regretting it. The only "pain relief" I've been offered is either Panadol (I think it's Tylenol in the USA, which makes me sick and does nothing for pain) or something called Palexia which just flat out makes me sick. I spoke to the replacement for my local doctor and came away with nothing else and feeling that he thought I was drug seeking. I'm taking them, but feel like s*** all the time with no let up in the pain. I can't remember the last time I had more than an hour's sleep at a time.

Obviously, I need to get through this. My own doctor is back from his holidayand I have an appointment tomorrow so hopefully I can get something that might actually help with the pain so I can do something more than lying on the lounge trying not to cry.

I went through cancer treatment in 2019 and frankly, offered the choice, I'd do that again before I did the knee again. It was much easier.

The other knee can rot and drop off before I even think about replacing it. Not. Happening.

Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 01-11-2021, 03:31 AM

Iím sorry you are in so much pain. I hope your regular doctor can give you something to help.
sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

pain
Old 01-11-2021, 05:11 AM

I am so sorry you are in so much pain. Hopefully the doctor that knows you can get the pain sorted out. Yes Tylenol here in the US is what doctors are offering for pain as they try to get away from narcotics. When I had my surgery in October the doctor did prescribe 10 days worth of something very strong plus a muscle relaxant. The muscle relaxer helped more. ((((hugs))))
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-11-2021, 05:28 AM

Iím so sorry youíre experiencing so much pain. Like many, I have been where you are and remember thinking death would be preferable to the constant pain. A good doctor and time helped me. I hope your doctor can help you soon, Tiamat. Sending gentle virtual hugs.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Knee
Old 01-11-2021, 05:46 AM

Knee replacements are painful. Iíve had two plus a revision on one last March. In the US, you can take both Tylenol and Advil at the same for dual pain relief.

200-400 mg Advil every 6-8 hours
2 325 mg pills of Tylenol every 6 hours.

Double check these doses with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure itís right for you.

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-11-2021, 06:35 AM

I have a friend who had a knee replacement November 9th. She is in pain so often at night that she can't sleep and is up most of the night. Apparently, the pain is so intense at night it makes sleep impossible. She has no pain pills and only OTC meds which are of no help. I'm so sorry that her surgery didn't help immediately. She's hopeful that the pain will lessen and she can return to her regular active life style.

I guess what you're experiencing is not uncommon. But knowing that doesn't help your pain, Tiamat.

I hope you find some way to help with your pain.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 01-11-2021, 07:00 AM

I recently had a hip replacement and found a lot of good advice on a hip replacement forum on Facebook and also on a joint replacement website called "Bone Smart". Both sites have a lot of good advice.

For hips, icing a lot tends to help the pain, but I've heard knees are more complicated.

Are you getting Physical Therapy? Can your PT help with this?
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

So sorry you are in pain
Old 01-11-2021, 08:15 AM

Very sorry you are going through this. I hope you can get in to see or speak to your doc to check to make sure there isn't anything going on with the healing process that is causing pain. Maybe you can get a referral to a pain management doctor to see if you can get relief beyond what you are already doing. Sending you thoughts, prayers and positive vibes.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 01-11-2021, 08:29 AM

IMO, if you have a Dr who thinks you are just pill seeking, don't go back!

I am currently where you are just farther along. I broke my arm in 3 places up by my shoulder on 10/17. The pain was very intense until about 2 weeks ago. I was first prescribed the strongest narcotics and as the weeks went by they weaned me off , but not before the pain stopped. At that point it was advised that I could take Motrin (3- 200mg) and Tylenol (2- 500 mg) 3 times a day. I alternate every 4 hours taking one or the other, and that has helped. I also keep a notebook with the times and check off when I take a dose. It very easy to forget, especially if you're in pain, whether or not you took the last dose and which one it was.

I am still sleeping on the couch. Even last night I tried to return to my bed and gave up after 2 hours.

I really believed the pain would never let up but, gradually, even if too slowly, it is lessening. I hope you are able to find at least one or two positions that give you some relief. Also have you tried eating something before taking the Tylenol or been offered anti-nausea medication. The urgent care Dr who saw me that night automatically included that prescription, Ondansetron, with the prescription for Hydrocodone.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 01-11-2021, 08:54 AM

I have no experience with that but Iím thinking of you and hoping you get the help you need so you can rest and recover. Iím so sorry youíre having such a rough time.

CK2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 01-11-2021, 09:15 AM

I had a knee replacement two years ago. I've had two major surgeries including open chest surgery. Knee replacement recovery has been the hardest of all, but I do love my new knee and how well it works now.

Doctors won't give much in the way of pain meds for this. I did have a very short term dose of hydrocodone followed by various names for tylenol.

I think orthopedic surgery is considered one of the biggest shocks to the system of any kind of surgery. I think it's a combination of that, pain (which for me was more like constant discomfort, not stabbing pain), the resulting difficulty in finding any comfortable position especially for sleep, and being sleep deprived, along with pretty tough physical therapy that make recovery so hard. The sleep deprivation is incredibly common. You'll sleep in fits and bits and spend hours staring at the ceiling in the night. My physical therapist cheerily told me that if I got three hours a night/day, I wouldn't die from it. It gets better but maybe not for a long time.

Ice is your friend. I liked ice packs even better than the icing machine which limited my range in seeking comfortable positions. I did not sleep through the night again for six months, but the length of each sleep period improved gradually over time. I had surgery in January and could climb sand dunes again in June. Stiffness may last a while depending on how bad your knee was before surgery.

I also thought the website Bone Smart was a great help although I did not agree with their philosophy which downplays tough PT. I thought it gave some people permission to wimp out and not get the best results.

My new knee will walk anywhere for however long I want with no pain. It took some time but it's the best thing I've ever done for my quality of life.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Cassyree
Old 01-11-2021, 09:29 AM

Great response! It's important to not hide the truth of the experience but it is also important to share the positive outcome, especially when it does take time.

BTW, I agree that ice is your friend but what is an icing machine?

This is 1 in a set of four motivational mini posters I found on Amazon. I bought 2 sets, one for me and one for my physical therapist. This one has become a mantra for me as I receive therapy twice a week and complete my exercises 3 times a day. It really has helped. I doubt it would have when the pain was at it's worst, but it's helping now.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by RetiredKat; 01-11-2021 at 09:46 AM..

Mikecoffee

Ice and kinesiology tape...
Old 01-11-2021, 09:34 AM

Ice and/or kinesiology tape (some people call it k-tape) could help.
Mikecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Icing machine
Old 01-11-2021, 10:07 AM

It's a machine you buy or rent, sometimes paid for by your insurance, which is connected by hosing to a pad that wraps around your knee and provides longer term coldness to your knee. It's cold without ice. Traditional ice packs lose their coldness as the ice melts. There are several different kinds of machines. Some orthopedic doctors like them better than others.

I preferred ice packs made from double bagged zip-locked bags. 2 cups water and 1 cup rubbing alcohol. The alcohol keeps it from freezing solid and the bag will conform to your knee. I used a tea towel with it to avoid "freezer burn" to my knee.

Recommendations for post surgery care change over time. I know people who had knee replacement a number of years ago who used something called a continuous passive motion machine which moved their knee for them for a time post surgery. The majority of orthopedic surgeons no longer think those improve or hasten recovery after knee replacement and don't recommend them now.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-11-2021, 10:40 AM

In so sorry you ate in so much pain

Highly recommend ice machine!!! My son had one when her had hip surgery and my SIL borrowed it when she had her knee replaced. My used his round the clock for the first 3 days per doctor's orders. Then he lessened it each day.

Regarding Tylenol & Advil. .you can take them overlapping in a rotating schedule. Tylenol @ 8, Advil @11, Tylenol @2, etc. Also do not miss a dose. We set alarms to make sure we didn't let up on pain meds.

I don't remember having extreme pain when I had my broken hip....that's done food drugs! I was never told to use ice either. Different drs, different choices.

Make sure you do the exercises you are supposed to do. My SIL did them half a$$ed, thus she still has pain 4 years later.

I hope your Dr has done help got you tomorrow. Make sure he knows his covering for was useless. If meds make you nauseous, he can give you and anti nausea med.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

teachnkids...
Old 01-11-2021, 11:43 AM

I believe I need to make a sign that says:

"My SIL did them half a$$ed, thus she still has pain 4 years later."

I'll place right next to the mini-poster I posted above. Definitely something to keep in mind! Thanks for the incentive.

Tiamat

Old 01-11-2021, 01:01 PM

Thanks everyone, especially the positive stories. I know Iíll get there, but right now is hard. Last night, at midnight, when I posted, was the pits.

Ice is unfortunately out of the question - I break out in massive itchy hives when something cold touches my sk8n, which is not a good idea on a surgery site. Iíve been like that as long as I remember - Iím a delight in winter.

I havenít started physio yet - theyíre on summer holidays and back next week.

Iíll speak to my doctor today and hopefully get a better plan than just being ignored.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

ACL and meniscus
Old 01-11-2021, 03:53 PM

I understand. Knee pain is horrible.I haven't had knee replacement yet but last spring I ruptured my ACL and tore my meniscus. I was in severe pain. I have been in less painful car accidents. I take Meloxicam, which is an anti-inflammatory drug. It helps. I also alternated tylenol and motrin. That helped too. Hopefully, your doctor can help with pain management.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-11-2021, 05:45 PM

I am so sorry about your experience with the pain. For that type of surgery it is ridiculous that they didn't give you anything stronger for your pain! I hope you can get something more effective when you see your doctor tomorrow! Please update us and let us know what happens.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 01-11-2021, 06:29 PM

I can't take narcotics, I get sick from them. I will take 3 Tylenol & 1 Aleve at a time. My dentist told me that helps to do away with pain & it has helped me. I hope you find a solution.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote