Help

BusyBoard

Tic

>

ChrisL77

Tic
Old 01-20-2021, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A parent emailed me this evening. She has noticed that her 8 year old son has developed a tic. He opens and closed his mouth constantly. Even when playing soccer. She was asking me if I had noticed but since we always have masks on in school I haven’t.

She took him to his pediatrician and he seems to think it is due to stress.

She was asking if I had any suggestions. So I am asking my PT family. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome. Thank you.

ChrisL77 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-20-2021, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would very gently suggest that the child be evaluated by an ed psychiatrist. A thorough evaluation could be done to determine the origin of the tic.The child could be listened to by a third party.

Last edited by anna; 01-20-2021 at 06:43 PM..
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-20-2021, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That age is exactly the time Tourettes starts to show. (I'm not saying that's what it is.)

One of my favorite sweet, sweet students (of course she also had red hair--with 2 ginger sons, of course i have an affinity toward redheads!) had a pretty violent head jerk tic at the start of the year (5th).

I talked with her previous teachers and saw that a pattern had grown over the previous 3 years. It had started with blinking of eyes, moved on to head twitch...and then she started verbalizing (mostly barking) in 5th grade.

Her tics increased in frequency, volume, and length over the year as I worked with her on ways to cope with them and talked with mom about our next steps. By the spring she had been diagnosed with Tourettes (and other related stuff) and was seeing a counselor and had some supports in place. I am so glad I pushed the issue in order to get that diagnosis and didn't just gloss over it!

The tics could be stress...FYI: more boys than girls have Tourettes and it gets worse until about age 21, and for many it mellows out about then.

I don't know what advice to give you...if it's not bugging the kid (not painful) or his peers, leave it alone...but watch to see if it changes and increases. Why does doctor think it's stress? Did child mention to him that he's stressed by something? Look into that. If parent wants to look into it, I'd mentioned to the school. (Our district has a special doctor who looks at cases with students that have special needs, and that's where we took my sweet girl--the parents, myself, the kid, our counselor....and everyone went around the table talking about our experience with her and shared her history...then doctor met with her by herself and got some info.) Perhaps kid's school district has something similar? or some suggestions? What is kid's teacher seeing?

ETA: see how i pay attention? (rolls eyes) pretend that i thought you said a FRIEND emailed you....so...does your school/district have a referral program like above? (i guess if you haven't really seen him do this it would be hard to refer...)

i open and close my mouth a lot with my mask on--trying to adjust it and keep it up! huh....what did his last year's teacher notice?

i think i'd just do a watch-and-see approach....but have the mom document what he does/when/for how long and if it changes...
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

Old 01-20-2021, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't have advice, but I will share something I've noticed about myself. Since I started wearing a mask all day, I notice myself moving my jaw in odd ways to "adjust" my mask. I also find myself doing it from time to time when I'm not wearing my mask. It could be related to that...or it could be something completely different.
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Could be stress
Old 01-21-2021, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I believe the tics could be a result of stress. We noticed my son had tics at the end of first grade that got progressively worse during second grade. It had started with facial movements but progressed to jaw movement and arm swings. When I took him to the doctor I expected something horrible was wrong with him, but she simply said to remove the stress and the tics would stop. My first thoughts were that second graders don't have stress and she had to be wrong. I thought and prayed on this. I decided going to school had to be his stressor. He was socially and academically immature and complained that he was being picked on. I don't believe he was being bullied, but was too immature to understand social situations. I didn't want to admit there was stress at home because I felt I had no control over that. It had to be school. Since I felt school was the stressor, I removed the stress by pulling my son from school and homeschooling him for all of third grade. It wasn't a popular decision, and his teacher even tried to talk me out of it. She didn't want me to undo what they had worked so hard to do up to that point. When he left school at the end of second grade he could barely read or write a sentence. When he returned to fourth grade he had already developed a love for reading chapter books and could write paragraphs. He had become an independent learner. For him, the year at home with me helped him grow as a student and gave him more independence. The tics had stopped and he never experienced them again.

I am not recommending homeschooling. I'm not saying school is this child's stressor. I'm just stating my case to show how removing the stress helped my son. He does experience anxiety (no tics) from time to time but recognizes it and it doesn't let it consume him. He does what he knows to take care of himself. He is an adult and very functional and most of all happy. He is the son I talk about that went to Japan, works as a computer analyst and has a family. A lot of kids and adults suffer with anxiety. Anxiety shows itself in many ways, but often with young children it is seen through tics. My personal opinion is that a lot of kids are feeling anxiety through this pandemic, whether they are worried about the pandemic or not. Life has changed so much for so many of us. Kids need to get outside to play. They need to experience social situations. They need a healthy diet with as little process food as possible. Kids need a regular sleep schedule with adequate sleep. We can all afford to strengthen relationships no matter how strong our relationships are. Every one of those factors affect anxiety. I wish I understood anxiety better when my son was experiencing tics. I didn't even understand anxiety was a chronic condition for some people.

NHK reported on the wearing of masks and how it affects young children. I don't know if that can be found on the internet. I wonder if mask wearing affects anxiety in children.

Can you talk to or recommend the parent contact the school counselor? There may be some strategies to help this student with anxiety while at school and maybe some strategies to try at home.

Mostly I just want to say, yes, the tics could be caused by stress and stress can be managed or removed, making the tics go away.

Last edited by twin2; 01-21-2021 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: edited to add something
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ChrisL77

Old 01-21-2021, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your suggestions and stories.
I greatly appreciate it. I will keep you posted.
ChrisL77 is online now   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 01-21-2021, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is unlikely since someone would probably have already made the connection, but does he have braces? My child had to have braces at about that age, and he developed a tic like that because of how the braces felt.
tyrex is online now   Reply With Quote