Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Thyroid medication

>

checkerjane

Thyroid medication
Old 07-02-2020, 08:18 PM

Mine was a smidge low, so my doc prescribed Thyroid NP. I think that might be the generic name?

Iíve been on it a little over a week, and I can honestly say I feel worse. I feel like Iím having a lot of side effects.

My stomach is messed up; Iím getting flushed and red faced for no reason; Iím tired; Iím having headaches; and I just feel kind of disconnected. Itís hard to explain, kind of foggy headed and not ďwithĒ it.

I knew it wouldnít be a magic bullet, but I wasnít really expecting this. I know theyíll probably go away once my body gets used to it, but right now itís no fun.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-02-2020, 08:27 PM

I would call right now. That's not normal. I've never had those side effects and I've increased my thyroid meds a number of times (I just increased last week as a matter of fact). I'm on Levothyroxine and I do really well on it. I just increase as needed.

I hope you feel better soon.

https://www.rxlist.com/levoxyl-side-...rug-center.htm
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-02-2020, 08:28 PM

I'm sorry! Have you asked your doctor about those side effects? Perhaps it's a sign your dose needs adjusting (I have no idea). Hope you feel better soon!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-02-2020, 08:40 PM

They just increased my momís thyroid medication. She complained about headaches when she doesnít normally get them. Otherwise, sheís had more energy and felt better.

Iíd call the doctor and report the issues. Or the pharmacy, too. I once had an allergic reaction to a medication, and the doctorís office was closed. The pharmacy was able to call the doctor and get the issue resolved. They had an on-call number I didnít have.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 07-02-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I would call right now. That's not normal. I've never had those side effects and I've increased my thyroid meds a number of times (I just increased last week as a matter of fact). I'm on Levothyroxine and I do really well on it. I just increase as needed.

I hope you feel better soon.

https://www.rxlist.com/levoxyl-side-.
Iíll call ASAP in the morning! Thanks for the info.

checkerjane

Old 07-02-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry! Have you asked your doctor about those side effects? Perhaps it's a sign your dose needs adjusting (I have no idea). Hope you feel better soon!
Thank you! Iím calling tomorrow morning.

Quote:
They just increased my momís thyroid medication. She complained about headaches when she doesnít normally get them. Otherwise, sheís had more energy and felt better.

Iíd call the doctor and report the issues. Or the pharmacy, too. I once had an allergic reaction to a medication, and the doctorís office was closed. The pharmacy was able to call the doctor and get the issue resolved. They had an on-call number I didnít have.
I think thatís one reason why feeling crappy with this sucks. Iím supposed to feel better...not worse.

Lottalove

I am also on Thyroid meds
Old 07-03-2020, 04:33 AM

I use Thyroid Armour.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-3...d-oral/details

Do call. But, it may also be that it has not been in your system long enough. It could be that it is not the best product for you.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 07-03-2020, 04:53 AM

I use Synthroid. Interestingly, I had been on the same dose forever through my primary care Dr. I went to an endocrinologist- she kept me on the same amount but told me to take it 5 out of 7 days and scores changed.... who knew?
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 07-03-2020, 05:13 AM

I take Levothyroxine. I have been on it for years with no noticeable side effects. This past February I was exhausted all the time and gaining weight. My doctor did blood work and then upped my Levothyroxine by a small amount. About a week in to taking the higher dosage of Levothyroxine, I would sweat profusely then be shaking so hard my teeth were chattering. I also experienced intermittent chest pain and increased anxiety. At the same time however, I also had cold symptoms (sore throat, runny nose). I called my doctor but by then our whole state was in the COVID19 shutdown. When I explained my symptoms, she said she doubted these symptoms were related to the medication. She also told me to stay in, drink lots of fluids and call her if things got worse. A month later, I was fine. Now, I know those "side effects" which began in early March were related to being sick, not the slight medication increase. So give your doctor a call and explain the side effects. Your doctor will be able determine if it is the meds or maybe a summer cold or bug. It will get better!
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-03-2020, 05:42 AM

I hope you get your meds readjusted so you can feel better!

My fiance' has been on thyroid meds his whole life. Don't know which was the latest he's been taking, but it's either Levothyroxine or Synthroid. He wants to be completely off prescription meds and take supplements instead. Is that even possible? He just started taking these now:

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitami...action-thyroid

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-03-2020, 07:34 AM

MAsped, when your thyroid isn't working, you need to take replacement hormones. I don't think it is ever going to be possible to go off them, because your thyroid won't start working again. Obviously, consult a doctor. I've been taking levothyroxine since I was about 12. Sometimes it takes some adjustments to get to the right dose.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-03-2020, 09:18 AM

annie_g, thanks for answering. My fiance' needs to get more in gear about this stuff. He was raised by uncaring parents who didn't give an S about him, so I guess he never took his condition as seriously as he should have. He should have been under the care of an endoctrinologist all his life about this, not some general dr.

tatapatch

It is possible
Old 07-03-2020, 01:44 PM

It is possible to get off of them.. I was on synthroid. I lost quite a bit of weight and my dr. took me off (gradually). Now I feel great.
tatapatch is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-04-2020, 05:43 AM

tatapatch, interesting. But in your case, was it that the meds were such a detriment and did nothing good, so it was better to be off them altogether?