Help

The VENT

Back we go

>

Dreamer625

Back we go
Old 01-02-2021, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This really is not a vent but I'm just wondering if anyone else is excited to go back face to face on Monday? We were face to face until the week of Thanksgiving and then went virtual until now. I'm excited to be back with my kids on Monday even though we'll have to wear masks. Virtual teaching was not fun for any of us. I had some kids do all the work and a few kids who did basically none of the work so that was a huge frustration for me. I just wanted if anyone else felt the same or if I'm in the extreme minority here.

Dreamer625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Happy to see kids
Old 01-02-2021, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'll be happy to see students, but the rest of it, not so much.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 01-02-2021, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My district has been 100 percent virtual since the beginning of the school year and does not have a definite date to go hybrid. They are following the county school dashboard which indicates that we need to be at 14 infections per 100,000 for hybrid to be recommended and we are currently at 40 per 100,000 with numbers and the positivity rate trending back up in the last few days.

I am not looking forward to going back but am relieved that we are still remote. I actually love working at home and dread the day we have to be back in person. I suppose the best case scenario for my future since I am currently in my retirement job would be to get something which would allow me to work from home permanently.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 01-02-2021, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd MUCH rather be face-to-face rather than virtual teaching. We're in for a long haul with the amount of work that was missed due to their "excuses" (no internet, no devices, can't figure it out, parent working, no car to pick up packets, etc...). Yes, some were definitely valid, but most were not. Now we have to play catch-up.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Yes
Old 01-02-2021, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We've been face-to-face all year (masks, social-distancing, all that put in place), and after a relaxing vacation where I did so much reading and resting, I'm ready to see my kiddos again.

SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

It will be good!
Old 01-02-2021, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I only had one eLearner, and they are coming back to join the rest of the class ftf. I am excited for the student and that I have that taken off my plate. It will be great to be able to be more flexible now!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 01-02-2021, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We go back ftf on Tuesday. We had 3 weeks of remote teaching/learning before Christmas break. I hate remote teaching and so do the kids.

Like you, I am glad to be going back. It's why we do what we do!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Monday
Old 01-02-2021, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We've been face to face all year. I'm somewhat excited to go back, somewhat dreading it. I'm excited to see the kids. I'm excited to get into more of a routine again. I'm excited to be around other adults. I'm excited for some of the lessons and activities I have planned. However, I'm not looking forward to the loss of freedom. As much as I am looking forward to having a routine again, I'm also not looking forward to it at the same time! I'll miss the freedom break gives! I'm dreading getting up early and doing school work.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Happy
Old 01-02-2021, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Weíve been hybrid, a couple small exceptions, all year. We are all virtual next week and anticipating back to hybrid the week after.

Iím happy we are all virtual. No pulling a cart from classroom to classroom. No other adults in the room (their planning time)...just me & the kids.

I really havenít even thought of school. We buried my aunt on Wednesday, so lots of family things to do. Since I wonít have another adult, I can ďwing itĒ the first day back if I need to.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 01-02-2021, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have been f2f all year. I have mixed feelings about returning. At least 40% of my students traveled out of state over the holidays. Most of our families are not known to be mask supporters even though we have to wear them in school. The elem kids do fine, the MS and HS kids push the mask issue and don't wear them properly if at all. We are a small k-12 district and all in 1 building with 1 central bathroom. I am excited to get back to school, but am concerned about what will be 'in the air' when we do.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-02-2021, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We were in person until Halloween and virtual through winter break. We are remote next week and will go back in person on Jan. 11th. I am in the extreme minority among the teachers I work with in that I do NOT want to go back. Everyone else is chomping at the bit to get back in person.

This fall, at first I was really happy being back and it was good for my mental health to have a reason to "get ready" for every day, leave the house, see people, get back into teaching, etc. Then the quarantines started. Constant in and out, in and out. For half of the weeks we were in person, some of my students were remote due to quarantines while others were in the building. Every time this happened, I had to make an entirely new schedule to fit everything in. I had to check my email constantly at night to make sure a) I was still going to work and b) which of my students would actually be in school the next day. And this is when virus numbers were much lower than they are currently, so I only imagine it will get worse. And so much of the day was spent on cleaning and a lot of "safety theater."

Remote this year is totally different than what we did last year, and I actually really enjoyed it. I was allowed to cut my IEP minutes in half IF I saw students 1:1. The vast majority of my students are getting better services than they'll ever get in the building because they were 100% tailored to their exact needs. I saw tons of growth, my lowest students had to actually do 100% of the thinking rather than relying on others in the group, and we weren't wasting time with behaviors and transitions. With it being 1:1, I was able to get tons done in a very short amount of time. Now that we are going back in person, my students' services will be much worse. I'm back to having groups where this often a 1.5 year or more skill gap, where certain behaviors set each other off, etc.

And I know others here have not had the same experience, but I worked far less hours remotely. No commute, not as much time spent getting ready, including packing lunches/coffee/water and toting stuff back and forth, and many of the "non-teaching" responsibilities that are there when we're at school were taken away. It's going to be really hard to go back to all of that work and stress, not to mention wearing an uncomfortable mask for most of the day and saying, "mask over your nose" approximately 228324098329408 times every day. Not to mention the obvious worry that someone will get sick and have a severe case. In the fall every time I saw a staff member on the "staff out" list for more than day, I got worried.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Old 01-02-2021, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I will be teaching virtually next week and then back f2f. I am not looking forward to returning face to face. I teach middle school spec ed and have enjoyed teaching virtually- it has allowed me to spend more time working one to one with my students using breakout rooms and/or separate individual meets. I have enjoyed the freedom and being able to take early morning walks. I donít miss commuting or having to pack a lunch. I am still concerned about contracting Covid.
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 01-02-2021, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Weíve been f2f most of the year, with the exception of 2 1/2 weeks before Thanksgiving. Iím relieved to be going back again. But I only have 12 in person students, always masked, small school.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 01-02-2021, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Still virtual for now. I'm thankful, because I know a lot of students were traveling over break and/or having visitors from out of state.
Always hard to go back after a break but usually once we get back into routine, it feels good to be back.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-02-2021, 10:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Although break has been wonderful, I'm excited to go back on Monday! I wouldn't be saying the same thing if we were virtual, though. I hated it.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 01-02-2021, 11:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We are virtual for two more weeks and possibly longer. I am not looking forward to going back.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-03-2021, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'll have about half in person and half still working from home. I really miss getting to work with the kids. They miss out on so much when they are all virtual. Some just can't handle the independent work.

We start back in-person tomorrow, but I'll be taking sick leave which means I still don't get to see my kids.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-03-2021, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I would not be looking forward and it doesnít matter if we are f2f or virtual. I always have trouble after a long break. I enjoy my me time, sleeping in, having time to cook and to play.

I am glad that we are still virtual. I donít particularly like virtual teaching, but there are perks, too.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

aly7123

Old 01-03-2021, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We have been face to face except for 2 days in the beginning of November when a staff member tested positive and the week after Thanksgiving. We will now be virtual for the next two weeks because the superintendent is concerned about people gathering for Christmas...this is also why we were virtual the week after Thanksgiving. I am not at all excited to go back because I absolutely hate this virtual teaching. I work in a low income district with a high ESL and special ed population where the majority of the students need face to face instruction and do very poorly online. Last time, I spent 45 minutes trying to help an ESL student get into a separate Meet with the Title 1 teacher so she could read his test to him. He could not follow my directions at all even when I shared my screen with him and showed him what to do. Also only about half the students actually show up for online instruction or even do the work so that makes even more work for me when I have to chase kids down to do the work they missed. And to make it even worse, I have to trudge in there for these two weeks instead of just doing the teaching at home. I think I wouldn't be dreading it as much if I could do it from home.
aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 01-03-2021, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm virtual until March 2nd at the earliest so tomorrow I go back to sitting at this computer for hours a day. I have to keep focusing on the ones that are trying to participate and trying to complete work. Their numbers are dwindling. Hopefully some of the others will come back with a better attitude and pull up their grades. That's the only part that is frustrating me. I actually like the kind of teaching we are doing with all the tech. We have been so innovative with our lessons this year.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

oreocat

Old 01-04-2021, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I will be fine going back once I get there. We have two work days and then the kids. We have f to f and online learners simultaneously. Most of my online learners do fine, because of parent support. My one struggling is coming back (fingers crossed).

The numbers in my community are out of control. Right now the tests are 30%. I do not know what it will take to go virtual. Several teachers in the metro area have died of Covid (not in my district). My county has the highest number in the state and I am stressed by all the quarantines and such that we had before the break. Kids do mask, but like Haley, it is mask over your nose and mouth all day. We are half way through. I am hoping the vaccine will be available to teachers soon. Sign me up!
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Old 01-09-2021, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We are in person but went virtual for one week after winter break and return Jan 11. Iím dreading going back... too much anxiety about getting covid, poor procedures to handle covid and contact tracing, and my students did very well virtually. I appreciated the break away from being potentially exposed everyday.
teacher0729 is online now   Reply With Quote