Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Forced COVID testing

>

kahluablast

Forced COVID testing
Old 01-12-2021, 05:53 PM

Got a note today saying our district will begin testing a percentage of employees weekly. Oh, and then saying to attach our insurance info when we get selected.

Am I wrong that my insurance shouldn’t have anything to do with this? It won’t be due to exposure. I don’t have insurance through the district.

Can someone explain why I have to provide my insurance info for that?

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-12-2021, 05:55 PM

I can't. Explain it, that is. That doesn't make sense to me at all.

I'm trying to think if there's an equivalent. Like random drug testing- how does that work?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

tryingtoteach

Old 01-12-2021, 06:07 PM

I am 100% on board with you. I already pay more than $2,000 for basic family coverage. I can only imagine what the 2022 price will be for this nonsense. The health department should be eating 100% of the cost.
tryingtoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-12-2021, 06:08 PM

We have employee testing but it's voluntary. We're allowed to go in every 2 weeks, or sooner if we've had exposure or we have symptoms. I happily signed up but the vast majority of our staff doesn't do it. If I get it and end up asymptomatic or with very mild symptoms, I'd certainly want to know!

Although the testing isn't through our insurance, we're asked to put in insurance information and our insurance does get billed. I have a high deductible plan where typically nothing is covered, and this is covered 100%. My understanding is that if you don't have insurance, it's free, but if they can bill insurance they will.

I would bet your insurance covers it too, but I'd definitely get something in writing saying you won't be charged if for whatever reason they don't. My district made it very clear in writing that we would never pay for any of this testing, even though they ask for insurance info.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-12-2021, 06:08 PM

Looks like maybe the district has to pay for testing and they will do that through insurance companies. I'm not sure about you being forced to test however this may be a liability issue. Have you ever signed an agreement to be tested for covid 19 in order to return to work? Districts around here would skip the agreement part and then make teachers think this is what they need to do. Do you have a union to approach with this issue?

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-12-2021, 07:38 PM

I have not signed anything specifically saying they could do COVID testing, but I am sure that the rest of the paperwork we have to sign every year gives them permission in some way.

I will be calling my insurance to see what their stance is on thi, and I will be asking the union, too.

Same state reports that COVID vaccines are free, but they are also asking for insurance info for reimbursement. Does that make it free? What is this going to do to my insurance costs next year?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-12-2021, 07:40 PM

I am tested weekly, and have to give my insurance info. I don't have to pay anything as covid testing is free for me, but they do bill through my insurance. My insurance is not through the district, either.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

County
Old 01-12-2021, 09:35 PM

Not sure how it works elsewhere, but in my county we ask for insurance information. The county is will ask the insurance to reimburse them, you should not see a bill or pay a co-payment. The county is footing the bill and it is huge, think beyond just the actual test. salaries for the nurses and MA’s testing, the tubes, swabs, bags, shipping to a lab, office staff, drivers to deliver supplies to sites that change daily, gas for the vehicles, tissues, etc..

Again this is my county, I have no idea how it works elsewhere.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote