Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Stomach and stress

>

RamonaQuimby

Stomach and stress
Old 01-14-2021, 06:57 AM

Anyone ever have stomach pain/upset stomach due to stress? I have tried everything I can think of to try to fix my stomach--healthy diet, probiotic, exercise, cutting out certain foods, no coffee, etc. Nothing has helped. My husband is covid cautious and says it is too dangerous to go to the doctor, and I should wait until my young children get the vaccine to go. I am thirty and in good health but have been miserable on and off these past nine months. I don't want another nine months of this. Any suggestions?

RamonaQuimby is online now   Reply With Quote

lacey2

Stomach issues
Old 01-14-2021, 07:10 AM

Iím sorry you are going through this. As someone who has been diagnosed with IBS, I know how miserable gastro issues can be. If I were you, though, Iíd see the doctor. Youíve already implemented many of the ways people deal with it, and you are still having issues. It can definitely be stress related for sure, but seeing the doctor and having basic tests will give you peace of mind that all is ok. Worrying about it causes stress, which causes symptoms, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Iíve seen several doctors since Covid started, and Iíve felt very safe when Iíve gone. I hope you get some relief soon.
lacey2 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-14-2021, 07:21 AM

I had exactly that and Iím sorry for you. Terrible pain. It was pre-Covid but during a very stressful time in my life (DH on home hospice). After trying OTC stuff (probiotics, gas relief...), I did go to the doctor twice. Can you do evisits? I found success with a prescription medication for ulcers that h0kie recommended. I suggested it to my doctor and she agreed to try it. I donít remember the name, perhaps you could PM h0kie; sheís knowledgeable and kind.

I also recommend attempting to mitigate the stress in your life. I realized a ďfriendĒ was a frequent trigger for my pain. I severed ties and that helped me.

You have my sympathy. Good luck!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 01-14-2021, 08:31 AM

Can you consult with a gastroenterologist?

My sister has colitis, so she is high risk and is being super cautious, but she still goes for her regular infusions, etc. That sort of office will be very careful because so many of their patients are high risk.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-14-2021, 08:36 AM

I get stomach issues when I am over stressed.
Unfortunately if the pain is due to stress the only thing that I see relieving that would be lowering your stress levels, much easier said than done.

If it isn’t stress and indeed caused by something else, only your doctor would be able to determine that.

I’m not sure why your husband has any say in when you can/can’t see a doctor for issues involving your own body, regardless of Covid.
Your young children will not be receiving a vaccine anytime soon (trials haven’t even begun, that I’m aware of, in anybody under 16). I would not be living miserably in pain while waiting for my children to be vaccinated.

I have been to the dentist, optometrist, and doctor since March and have felt perfectly safe. If anything, I find medical offices to be more safe than anywhere else.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Stomach pain
Old 01-14-2021, 08:39 AM

At the very least, call your doctor. He/she may suggest an over the counter med. You probably should go in person, it will be fine.

Take it from someone who waited waaay too long to get help. I developed muscle spasms on my stomach in college from stress. I felt like I had swallowed gasoline 24/7. Eventually I was put on a drug to ease the spasms. Wished I had not waited a year.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Medicine
Old 01-14-2021, 09:10 AM

Prevacid or Carafate?

Carafate was what my surgeon gave me when I had an ulcer which coated it and kept it from worsening until he could do my endoscopy.

Carafate to heal.

Prevacid (prescription strength...I would have had to take 4 OTC pills to get the right doseage) to prevent.

I get the concern about going to the doctor, but putting off medical care isnít smart either. Around here, doctorís offices are one of the safest places to be with all the precautions they have in place.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

RamonaQuimby

Old 01-14-2021, 11:53 AM

My husband is just concerned about my asthmatic son getting covid. He is a worrier and covid has made him an extreme worrier. I don't want to make things worse for anyone.

I will give my doctor a call and see what she says. I suspected stress because of the timing of the onset and the fact that I have tried so many things already. Thank you all for your help and all of your suggestions. I truly appreciate it.
RamonaQuimby is online now   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 01-14-2021, 12:05 PM

Yes, when I am upset or anxious I have stomach issues.

We are very cautious, working from home, only going out for walks/hikes, at home school, grocery delivery, etc.

I have and would still seek medical care. My Dr. Is doing telehealth appointments so I would start there, but you may need to see someone on person and as careful as I am being, I would still go. It is important to stay healthy in all aspects.

Having stomach issues is horrible, I understand. I hope you get relief soon.
love_to_learn is online now   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 01-14-2021, 12:44 PM

Perhaps your doctor would do a telemed appointment? My BIL, who had heart surgery before Christmas has had all of his appointments online or over the phone.

sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-14-2021, 04:49 PM

I have had the same types of problems for years and yes, I have noticed when I get especially stressed my reflux will immediately start acting up and sometimes my lower abdomen will bother me as well.

I would keep a journal writing down what you eat and how you feel after each meal and at the end of the day. I would also keep tract of your moods and stressors and see if you can find a pattern.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

Old 01-15-2021, 11:06 AM

Doctors offices are very safe here. They space everyone out and clean, clean, clean. They might also do remote visits with you if you call your insurance company . Donít wait.
CricketSong is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

Old 01-15-2021, 11:12 AM

I will say as the one who will pay with the consequences if it’s say, an ulcer in early stages that could be so much worse without treatment,if you need to go, go.

If it’s so important to your husband that you should go through pain in order to spare the kids, it should be worth it to him that you go get treatment but quarantine in your bedroom for 14 days away from them while he is their sole carer. Stomach pain can make life very unbearable and you want to be in top shape should Covid in any form come your way.
CricketSong is offline   Reply With Quote