Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Odd idea about the Covid vaccine

>

jazzer

Odd idea about the Covid vaccine
Old 01-14-2021, 03:21 PM

My close friend of 35 years is eligible to get the vaccine now due to the nature of her job. Her husband will not be able to get it for a while because his job does not fall in the essential worker category.

She told me today that though she could get the vaccine now, she is going to wait until her husband is elligible so they can get it together.

Her reason? She is afraid that if she gets it and he doesn't have it for a while that she could give him Covid if she has a reaction to the vaccine. She asked my opinion on that as she was trying to research it.

My opinion was that side effects of the vaccine are not the virus so anything going on in her body would not actually be Covid unless she had it without knowing during the time she got the vaccine.

I found this to be an odd thought as I never would have thought of the side effects from the virus to be the actual virus. She said that since it is such a new vaccine and there are a lot of unknowns and I can understand that.

Any thoughts on this?

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

Old 01-14-2021, 03:24 PM

In the US it doesn’t contain the live virus, so it can’t get anyone else sick.

The sick feeling is from an immune response to the virus. So even if she feels sick, it’s her immune response to what it thinks is a virus, and not contagious.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nes/facts.html
CricketSong is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-14-2021, 03:26 PM

I have not heard anybody voice this concern before and quite honestly do not understand it either.

The Covid vaccine doesn’t even contain the live virus- it use mRNA. The side effects from the vaccine (if you get them) are not you contracting Covid.

While there are some unknowns with the vaccine- I’m pretty sure this is not one of them.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-14-2021, 03:26 PM

she SHOULD get the vaccine so she DOESN'T contract the virus and spread it to him.

that's the whole point of herd immunity.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Old 01-14-2021, 03:28 PM

I am scheduled to get the vaccination and my DH is going to have to wait. I will still be wearing a mask and social distancing. But from what I have read, unlike the flu vaccine, these vaccinations don't have any live virus in them. So I am not concerned about infecting my DH if I have a reaction.

rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

Old 01-14-2021, 03:29 PM

Some people confuse not knowing EVERYTHING with not knowing ANYTHING. We do know the answer to this one. But we don’t know long term side effects, etc, and I understand that. It we do know a lot about virus replication and it cannot replicate or anything in the vaccine.
CricketSong is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 01-14-2021, 03:43 PM

A vaccine will help prevent her from getting Covid but will not stop her from carrying and spreading it to him. That’s why it is important to continue to wash, distance, and mask.

Is this what she could be thinking?

Either way, if she wants to get it she shouldn’t wait.

One other point. She should have her dh go with her when she gets it. If they have extra he may be able to get it. That’s how I got mine. I drove dh to the site and they offered it to me as well. They asked me if I was getting it too. I told them I wasn’t eligible yet but they said they had extra.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 01-14-2021, 04:08 PM

I forgot that some vaccines contain the live virus in them. Maybe that is why she is concerned thinking that any side effects would be Covid. I will remind her that this vaccine does not have the live virus in it.

She might be concerned about being a carrier even with the vaccine as suggested.

Thanks.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote